Sign in with
Your question

Obtaining Static IP Address - Please Help

Last response: in Networking
April 4, 2011 3:18:09 PM

Hello, we just had our call center networked with a static IP address.

The networking tech said that it's impossible to access the internet with out first:

1. going to "Internet Protocol Properties"
2. manually entering the "IP Address", "Subnet Mask" and "Default Gateway"

He insists it's the only way.

Now we have to have guests manually configure their Internet Protocol Properties any time they come to our office and then reconfigure them when they go home.

This doesn't make any sense to me. I already had an office w/ a static ip and plugged in my laptop with out having to do this. The internet was fine.

I found this, but I'm not sure if it applies:

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_configure_my_static_ip_addr...

Please help. Thank you for any info:) 
April 4, 2011 4:04:25 PM

Does any of the computers or equipment require a Static IP?

Do the guests need to connect only to the internet?
m
l
April 4, 2011 4:30:04 PM

I don't think they require a static ip.. Not really sure why we have one, but we do...

The guests just need to connect to the internet. There's no central server etc..

Thank you for your help..
m
l
Related resources
April 4, 2011 7:35:46 PM

if you don't require Static IPs, why not assign a static IP to a router and connect the rest of the network to the router. This way none of the computers, Yours or the Guest's, need to be configured for Static IP

ISP --> Modem/Router ----> Router ----> Computers
m
l
April 4, 2011 7:45:11 PM

I agree with Emerald. The call center could probably be set up in a better configuration. However. if the system is set for STATIC only, then without a DHCP server, you will need to manually configure the settings on each guest machine.

I guess the main question is why is everyone on a static IP? Security? ease of control? Complexity reduction?
m
l
April 4, 2011 11:13:33 PM

Emerald, first thank you;) I'm going to send him an email. That says to please check if we could assign the static ip to the router.

Can you guys give me any help explaining it technically? A link or some buzz words I could use to tell him how to do it?

CompTIA_rep - thank you for the response... I'm not 100% why we have the static ip address. I've read it helps w/ a few things and if you're a medium size business it's prob best to have it? VPN, etc? What are the benefits of having a static IP in your mind? Have you ever assigned a static ip to a router like Emerald said? It seems like a pretty cool solution.

Thanks again guys..
m
l
April 5, 2011 2:05:37 PM

The main benefit for static IPs is control. Control who gets what when where and how. There is no primary reason why a medium/small or large business should be on a static IP rule.

Even home routers can be set up for DHCP with static IP assignments. But this takes more work on a larger scale since you must know the MAC address of each machine you set up this way.
m
l
April 5, 2011 7:18:37 PM

Thanks CompTIA_rep, is there any workaround that you know of where you don't have to add the you don't have to manually enter the "IP Address", "Subnet Mask" and "Default Gateway" to each computer that comes in (guests, etc)?

I'm new to this and kind of confused on the whole thing. If you could send a tutorial link, that would be a huge help. Thanks a lot.
m
l
April 5, 2011 7:32:41 PM

Sure the work around would be to introduce a DHCP server to the network. This would not be appropriate and could cause issues for everyone.

To clarify, a DHCP server is what you need to automatically get the IP address, subnet mask.... The best idea may be to bring your concerns to the network admins or appropriate management. Causing a call center to go down may cost a good deal of money to the company.
m
l
April 5, 2011 8:07:20 PM

assign a static IP to the WAN side of a separate router and have your guests connect to that router
m
l
April 5, 2011 9:46:20 PM

Emerald, ya that would work ok. However, I have still seen issues arise from doing that but it may be the only option to even try.

To Redpill11:
What this means is that the router has a static IP address and assigns DHCP IP addresses to the devices connected to it only and not the rest of the network. However, if set up improperly, you risk affecting the rest of the network.
m
l
!