mormenter

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I just have a few questions on building.
First timer here
Is it necessary to apply thermal compound or no?
If I buy my parts on newegg, do they usually come with connectors or do I need to buy my own.
Also do i need a specific case for my parts or are all cases standardized, ie will the case be too small or something?

donlev

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Your mobo's come in sizes from mini ITX, micro atx, atx, and extended atx.
Your case should have a compatability chart.

Generally if a case will accomodate a atx it will also accomodate an micro atx.

If you will be installing an intel i series processor, but not adding an aftermarket heatsink, the heatsink that comes with the processor will have paste on it that is plenty good enough. However, if you buy a\m cooler, it will come with paste also in a pack or tube. You do not want to try to use that as it is almost always very low quality and in that case you should purchase some artic silver paste seperately. But either way, YES you do need a paste or you will burn up your processor and maybe your mobo as well.
If I knew what type of computer you wanted to build and your useage requirements, as well as a budget range, I might be able to make a few suggestions. :??:

thermal compound is almost always included on all heatsinks right out of the box. you can definitely use this but it is always suggested to use alcohol to wipe it off and apply some compound that you know is high quality such as artic silver 5.

parts always have connectors on the ends of wires. if you buy a whole system you should have enough wires to completely assemble your system. the only case where wire ends are not included is on some fans (but all the stuff you are looking at should have connectors). there might be cases where you need to get a certain adapter but you can get that later.

chances are you are buying a normal atx sized board. get a mid tower or full tower case. everything will line up.

The only time you will not find connectors with parts from retailers is when you purchase "OEM" parts - OEM parts do not come with cables or drivers but (in the case of hard drive/optical drive cables) the new mobo usually supplies enough.

As far as cases are concerned - all ports, bays, expansion slots, etc... are standardized - some size variations (2.5" hard drives/3.5" hard drives - 5.25"bays/3.5" bays). Mounting points are also standardized.

mormenter

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Alright thanks alot guys =).
The thermal compound is cheap anyways, I just wasn't sure if it was necessary or a waste of money.
And do you guys recommend buying a separate heatsink? I mean does it really make that much of a difference
My cpu is going to be 3.6ghz and the most computational heavy programs will probably be skyrim and CIV IV.
CIV IV is very heavy so I was thinking about even getting an upgrade for the cpu.

donlev

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

It is a little hard to answer you without knowing what processor and mobo you will be getting! If you want to overclock, you will definately need an aftermarket cooler. You really won't gain allot in your game from overclocking but allot of folks like challenging their systems to various benchmark programs.

So to answer as best as I can without knowing your hardware choices, No, you should be fine with the cooler that comes with your processor unless you want to overclock or just want to modify it for looks and optimum cooling.

Make sure you pick a case with a fan in the front pulling air in and a fan in the rear expelling air and it is nice to have fans on top expelling air as well. This helps with overall cooling in your case....

Make us a list of the components you choose for your build and we will critique it for you. You can post links to the components at newegg or wherever.
It is always hard for us to know if we are advising you right without knowing your components.

Just post us the links before you purchase so we can help make sure it is all compatible

in general if you dont plan on overclocking then no you do not need to buy a cpu cooler. the fan that comes with the cpu is designed to work in this regard.

if you do plan on overclocking then it is suggested that you buy an aftermarket cpu cooler.