Alright, I just built a new system last week (only my second time doing so so I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means) and now I'm having issues with the system locking so that it is frozen on the screen that the computer is showing whenever it happens. I have no keyboard or mouse controls, can't run task manager or any other tools (as far as I know). I use my computer for everything from recording to gaming to simple tasks but I've noticed that it happens most frequently when I'm gaming. Up until today I could play Skyrim fine but whenever I exited back to the desktop i would have a few seconds before it locked up. This isn't limited to Skyrim though as it happens sometimes at startup and other random times. I thought maybe it could be a graphics driver issue since I only installed the drivers that came with my card so I updated it from steam but that added a new problem where Skyrim will minimize twice before it allows me to run the game and then there is alot of graphical distortion within the game (although it doesn't lag). I'm using all the drivers that came with the motherboard disk.
Here's the specs of my build:
- GIGABYTE GA-P67X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- Intel i5 2500k
- Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
- SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
- (4x) Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CT25664BA1339
- Rosewill TU-155 II 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 500W Power Supply
- LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
I don't think its a power issue as I added up the power requirement when figuring what I needed (although feel free to tell me I'm wrong).