Solved

Dell help needed

Hi,
I hope u guys can help me coz I'm a bit lost..
I used to watch online tv shows and 1080p movies on my laptop.
Then, using a hdmi cable I started watching it on my HDTV.
It was extremely good however I had to constantly go to the laptop for operating the system.
I later got splash top app on my iPad and was able to control all that I wanted comfortably from my couch.
But now my wife wants to use the laptop to study so I decided to build myself a htpc. Unfortunately I'm almost broke, so I'm trying to get it done as cheap as possible.
A couple of days back I bought the remains of a dell 755 optiplex SFF for $20 from some guy. It only had the motherboard and case without psu.
Since then I've come to regret it as after 2 days of research I found out this:

1. I had borrowed a CPU, ram and psu and tried to start the pc but all I could see was an amber light on the mother. I couldn't see or hear any beeping or fan sound. I then had to return the parts I borrowed.
2. The dell case seems to be a DTX.

Now my questions are these:

1. Should I buy a dell psu (which costs between $60-30)? Will it work on other motherboards if this ones fried? If a buy a non dell psu will it work on the dell mobo without harming it?
2. After buying the psu (dell or non dell) can I test if the mobo is working without buying CPU and ram? Since If I buy those and the mobo doesn't work, my choice of mobo will be slim.
3. After trying to check (if it's possible) and the dell mobo doesn't work, I was planning to buy a cheap mobo. If the mobo had a processor and hdmi on it would be great(like the atom). I was planning to take the back panel off the case and use an atom based mobo. Is that viable?

My primary objective was to have a cheap pc temporarily to watch stuff on the tv (even if it's VGA) and in the future buy a good GPA with hdmi out and upgrade it.

Any info/suggestion would be great

Thanks
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dell needed
  1. Best answer
    Since you dont seem to have any legit info on this system trying to fix it would be trial and error, which can be very costly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119059

$100 for an APU computer is a safe bet

if thats too big you can go with a mini computer system which a halfway decent one will cost you ~$150 also not bad
  2. i dont think that case will support that form factor, they only come in mini itx and micro atx. i am pretty sure 755's are atx.

what is your budget we can probably save you time, money and frustration if you let us suggest a build within your budget.
  3. Thanks for the response guys..
    The case is a Dell 755 optiplex small form factor. The dimensions are appx 14x4x14.
    Since it's dell the case has the I/o on the right side. So I was gonna take the back panel off. Now I m thinking of taking apart my old xbox and putting a mini atom mono in it. Think it might look cool as an htpc :) what do y'all think??
  4. Best answer selected by Scorpiorising.
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Components Product