big offenses

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 10, 2005 5:07:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

sirs,

I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
lightes on a photographic machine.

it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?

please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.

Moses

More about : big offenses

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:07:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

One of the flashes might consider itself the master of the other flashes,
but it must always remember that I am its master and it is nothing more than
a slave to me. It will do as I command or else I will dispose of it.

KB

"Moses" <moseswakkumi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> sirs,
>
> I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
> lightes on a photographic machine.
>
> it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
> depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
> backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>
> please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
> them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.
>
> Moses

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:07:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Or, just get over it, and realize that the terms are part of the
lexicon of cameras, and certainly not intended to covey any racial
tone.
Seriously, not to be offensive, but if you are seriously raising this
issue that's my serious reply.
June 10, 2005 5:07:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

The experience of many slave flashes owners is that beating them is
tantamount to disposing of them.

Personally, I prefer depravedly depriving them of their basic needs
until they either comply or die, and reminding them that they are not
better than the photographic machine.

Austin
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:07:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Moses" <moseswakkumi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> sirs,
>
> I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
> lightes on a photographic machine.
>
> it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
> depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
> backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?

Yep, I'd rather have scuzzy computer parts than endorse that kind of
thinking :o )

Dave
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:07:48 PM

Moses wrote:

> sirs,
>
> I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
> lightes on a photographic machine.
>
> it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
> depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
> backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>
> please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
> them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.

No.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
June 10, 2005 5:07:48 PM

dalesky wrote:
> Or, just get over it, and realize that the terms are part of the
> lexicon of cameras, and certainly not intended to covey any racial
> tone.
> Seriously, not to be offensive, but if you are seriously raising this
> issue that's my serious reply.

That's one.....
June 10, 2005 5:07:48 PM

Brad wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:07:47 +0100, "Moses" <moseswakkumi@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >sirs,
> >
> >I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
SNIP
> >Moses
> >

> I can't believe you are seriously bring this up......you do much more
> harm than good with this kind of idiocy.....its also very common in
> computer lingo where number 1 and number 2 won't work ......main and
> secondary admittedly would work but when its crystal clear that no
> disrespect whatsoever is meant it goes beyond reality to take offense
> at something like that........
>
> Brad

And-a three......
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:07:49 PM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:15:44 GMT, Ken Burns wrote:

> One of the flashes might consider itself the master of the other flashes,
> but it must always remember that I am its master and it is nothing more than
> a slave to me. It will do as I command or else I will dispose of it.

But you'll eventually have to return to the computer and the
workflow, slaving away long into the night.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:07:49 PM

"Ken Burns" <kenburns@twave.net> wrote in message
> One of the flashes might consider itself the master of the other flashes,
> but it must always remember that I am its master and it is nothing more
than
> a slave to me. It will do as I command or else I will dispose of it.
>
> KB

-------------

You don't have to dispose of it you could always just beat it into
submission.

June 10, 2005 5:07:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Wait until someone tells him about "male" and "female" plugs and how
you distinguish one from the other...

Or maybe I should just make reference to a "rule of thumb" about
photography. With luck his head will explode. :)
June 10, 2005 5:07:50 PM

"ASAAR" <caught@22.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:15:44 GMT, Ken Burns wrote:
>
>> One of the flashes might consider itself the master of the other flashes,
>> but it must always remember that I am its master and it is nothing more
>> than
>> a slave to me. It will do as I command or else I will dispose of it.
>
> But you'll eventually have to return to the computer and the
> workflow, slaving away long into the night.

Every computer owner knows who the real master is, and lest he forget, the
blue screen of death shall remind him. Hail Gates (bowing to Redmond).
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:07:51 PM

george wrote:

> Every computer owner knows who the real master is, and lest he
> forget, the blue screen of death shall remind him. Hail Gates
> (bowing to Redmond).

Haven't seen the blue screen of death in a few years.

WinXP does go TU every once in a long while, but in a way that allows
saving docs (except for the application that caused XP to lose control
of the machine.)

Never had Linux crash, but the apps die horrible deaths easilly,
including destops like KDE. The inconvenience in that case is no
different than Win apps or WinXP crashing.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:22:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On 10 Jun 2005 05:44:14 -0700, "dalesky" <dalem5892000@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Or, just get over it, and realize that the terms are part of the
>lexicon of cameras, and certainly not intended to covey any racial
>tone.
>Seriously, not to be offensive, but if you are seriously raising this
>issue that's my serious reply.

Aside from your obvious lack of discernment, the OP is late...
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.re...

--
Big Bill
Replace "g" with "a"

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

From: "Moses" <moseswakkumi@yahoo.com>

| sirs,
|
| I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
| lightes on a photographic machine.
|
| it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
| depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
| backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
|
| please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
| them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.
|
| Moses

That's a bunch Political Correctness gone wrong !

The term "Master/Slave Relationship" is use in *many* industries and since it is in
reference to hardware/periphery it has no moral, racial or legal ramifications.

Another good example is the Master/Slave relationship of EIDE/ATAPI computer hardware.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Moses" <moseswakkumi@yahoo.com>
>
> | sirs,
> |
> | I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
> | lightes on a photographic machine.
> |
> | it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
> | depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
> | backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
> |
> | please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
> | them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.
> |
> | Moses
> |

> That's a bunch Political Correctness gone wrong !
>
> The term "Master/Slave Relationship" is use in *many* industries and since it is in
> reference to hardware/periphery it has no moral, racial or legal ramifications.
>
> Another good example is the Master/Slave relationship of EIDE/ATAPI computer hardware.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

That's two.....
June 10, 2005 6:04:47 PM

wrote:

>sirs,
>
>I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
>lightes on a photographic machine.
>
>it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
>depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
>backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>
>please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
>them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.
>
>Moses

I can't believe you are seriously bring this up......you do much more
harm than good with this kind of idiocy.....its also very common in
computer lingo where number 1 and number 2 won't work ......main and
secondary admittedly would work but when its crystal clear that no
disrespect whatsoever is meant it goes beyond reality to take offense
at something like that........

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:04:48 PM

Brad <bjdbradnospam@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:07:47 +0100, "Moses" <moseswakkumi@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
>>depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
>>backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>>
>>please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
>>them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.
>>

> I can't believe you are seriously bring this up......you do much more
> harm than good with this kind of idiocy.....its also very common in
> computer lingo where number 1 and number 2 won't work ......main and
> secondary admittedly would work but when its crystal clear that no
> disrespect whatsoever is meant it goes beyond reality to take offense
> at something like that........

Check e.g. http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/master.asp

for 'The County of Los Angeles has requested that equipment vendors avoid
using the industry term "Master/Slave" in product descriptions and
labeling.'

Old news.

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

June 10, 2005 8:10:53 PM

Moses wrote:
> sirs,
>
> I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two
> flashing lightes on a photographic machine.
>
> it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
> depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
> backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>
> please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead
> call them number one and number too in order that offense might be
> missed.

Hear! Hear! Using scatological terminolgy is a *much* better idea!
>;^)
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:18:58 PM

Big Bill wrote:
> On 10 Jun 2005 05:44:14 -0700, "dalesky" <dalem5892000@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Or, just get over it, and realize that the terms are part of the
>> lexicon of cameras, and certainly not intended to covey any racial
>> tone.
>> Seriously, not to be offensive, but if you are seriously raising this
>> issue that's my serious reply.
>
> Aside from your obvious lack of discernment, the OP is late...
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.re...

Also diverts attention from the *really* important battles, like PETA's
valiant fight to get those evil Nemo murderers in Fishkill, New York to
change the bloody name of their town...
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:38:42 PM

Moses wrote:
> sirs,
>
> I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
> lightes on a photographic machine.
>
> it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
> depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
> backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>
> please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
> them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.
>
> Moses

Oh for PETE'S sake!

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:07:47 +0100, Moses wrote:

> sirs,
>
> I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
> lightes on a photographic machine.
>
> it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
> depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
> backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>
> please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
> them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.
>
> Moses
I am so sorry to hear about your troubles, maybe your psychiatrist will be
able to sort you out.

--
neil
delete delete to reply

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,talk.bizarre (More info?)

In article <3gte6aFecuf1U1@individual.net>,
"Moses" <moseswakkumi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> sirs,
>
> I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
> lightes on a photographic machine.
>
> it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
> depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
> backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>
> please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
> them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.

I call mine "Jungle Bunny" and "Bwana Devil".
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 12:40:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

What about the "server" in the office? Nobody's brought that one up yet.
Got to assume that term came right off the plantation.

"Moses" <moseswakkumi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> sirs,
>
> I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
> lightes on a photographic machine.
>
> it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
> depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
> backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>
> please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
> them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.
>
> Moses

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:31:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Big Bill <bigbill@PIPPING.COM> wrote in

> On 10 Jun 2005 05:44:14 -0700, "dalesky" <dalem5892000@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Or, just get over it, and realize that the terms are part of the
>>lexicon of cameras, and certainly not intended to covey any racial
>>tone.
>>Seriously, not to be offensive, but if you are seriously raising this
>>issue that's my serious reply.
>
> Aside from your obvious lack of discernment, the OP is late...
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.re...

Please don't take this as a rant against Americans, I have many friends
that are American, but this is the sort of stuff that turns other races and
cultures against you, why should the rest of the world change its language
because the americans had slavery and a cival war over it.

The word slave has several meanings, including the one they are getting
bent out of shape for:

1. One bound in servitude as the property of a person or household.
2. One who is abjectly subservient to a specified person or influence:
“I was still the slave of education and prejudice” (Edward Gibbon).
3. One who works extremely hard.
4. A machine or component controlled by another machine or component.

This political correctness is getting out of control.

Mick Brown
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:31:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <Xns96724C3BC4ACBnmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5>,
Mick Brown <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

[ ... ]

>Please don't take this as a rant against Americans, I have many friends
>that are American, but this is the sort of stuff that turns other races and
>cultures against you, why should the rest of the world change its language
>because the americans had slavery and a cival war over it.

I see no reason for that, and I am an American.

The original post was apparently intended as a troll --
especially since someone was posting counting responders who took it
seriously.

The vast majority of us consider the whole thing to be
ridiculous. Unfortunately, there are some in positions of control
(especially in parts of California) who believe too much in such things.

>The word slave has several meanings, including the one they are getting
>bent out of shape for:

Of course.

Enjoy,
DoN.
June 11, 2005 3:04:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

> Never had Linux crash, but the apps die horrible deaths easilly, including
> destops like KDE. The inconvenience in that case is no different than Win
> apps or WinXP crashing.

Alan,

You must indeed be one of the chosen ones to never have linux crash., I mean
I really rate that a very high WOW factor. :-)

I have killed entire PC's just installing Linux at times, perhaps you need
to try harder. ;-)

Cheers.

Pete
June 11, 2005 5:30:16 AM

Moses wrote:

> sirs,
>
> I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
> lightes on a photographic machine.
>
> it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
> depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
> backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>
> please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
> them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.

LOL! So what should we call a clutch master and slave cylinder or a brake
master cylinder then? Is it "racist" to call them this?

--

Stacey
June 11, 2005 5:31:28 AM

Alan Browne wrote:

> george wrote:
>

>> Every computer owner knows who the real master is, and lest he
>> forget, the blue screen of death shall remind him. Hail Gates
>> (bowing to Redmond).
>
> Haven't seen the blue screen of death in a few years.
>
> WinXP does go TU every once in a long while,

They just removed the blue screen....

--

Stacey
June 11, 2005 5:33:10 AM

Pete D wrote:

>> Never had Linux crash, but the apps die horrible deaths easilly,
>> including
>> destops like KDE. The inconvenience in that case is no different than
>> Win apps or WinXP crashing.
>>

> Alan,
>
> You must indeed be one of the chosen ones to never have linux crash.

Count me as number 2. I've never had the machine totally lock even if the
desktop crashed. cont/alt/f2 always brings up a console I can kill the
desktop from.

> I have killed entire PC's just installing Linux at times, perhaps you need
> to try harder. ;-)

???

--

Stacey
Anonymous

Moses wrote:
> sirs,
>
> I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two
> flashing lightes on a photographic machine.
>
> it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
> depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
> backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>
> please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead
> call them number one and number too in order that offense might be
> missed.
> Moses

It is indeed terrible. Years ago I banned those discriminating terms and
started calling my flashes "pimp" and "bitch". They like that better.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:52:57 AM

Sheldon wrote:

> What about the "server" in the office? Nobody's brought that one up yet.
> Got to assume that term came right off the plantation.

There was a tremendous uproar here a few years back, when
they came out with the "adopt a highway" gimmick...

Adoptive parents were outraged... :)

What does surprise me is that apparently somewhere in one of
the southern USA cities that still have a "slave market"
Apparently now a fancy restaurant, but still... I'd a thought
that would be a bit much... ?

And for topic, if I ever saw it - though I wouldn't consider
patronizing the place - I would take a few pictures.

Ken
(should it matter, an elderly wasp)
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 7:17:55 AM

Stacey wrote:
> Alan Browne wrote:
>

>>george wrote:
>>

>>>Every computer owner knows who the real master is, and lest he
>>>forget, the blue screen of death shall remind him. Hail Gates
>>>(bowing to Redmond).
>>
>>Haven't seen the blue screen of death in a few years.
>>
>>WinXP does go TU every once in a long while,
>

> They just removed the blue screen....

Actually, it is still an option. Not one you would see very often, however.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
June 11, 2005 8:36:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:09:15 -0400, Dragan Cvetkovic <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>Brad <bjdbradnospam@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:07:47 +0100, "Moses" <moseswakkumi@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
>>>depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
>>>backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>>>
>>>please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
>>>them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.
>>>

>> I can't believe you are seriously bring this up......you do much more
>> harm than good with this kind of idiocy.....its also very common in
>> computer lingo where number 1 and number 2 won't work ......main and
>> secondary admittedly would work but when its crystal clear that no
>> disrespect whatsoever is meant it goes beyond reality to take offense
>> at something like that........
>
>Check e.g. http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/master.asp
>
>for 'The County of Los Angeles has requested that equipment vendors avoid
>using the industry term "Master/Slave" in product descriptions and
>labeling.'
>
>Old news.
>
>Bye, Dragan

Leave it to California.....I wish they would hurry up and break off...

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"
June 11, 2005 8:37:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 02:42:40 +0200, "Claus P. Hastrup"
<5352778m001@mail.stofanet.dk> wrote:

>Moses wrote:
>> sirs,
>>
>> I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two
>> flashing lightes on a photographic machine.
>>
>> it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
>> depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
>> backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>>
>> please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead
>> call them number one and number too in order that offense might be
>> missed.
>> Moses
>
>It is indeed terrible. Years ago I banned those discriminating terms and
>started calling my flashes "pimp" and "bitch". They like that better.

Precious......lol.......

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:28:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote in
news:D 8d93m$2ff$1@Fuego.d-and-d.com:

> In article <Xns96724C3BC4ACBnmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5>,
> Mick Brown <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
>>Please don't take this as a rant against Americans, I have many
>>friends that are American, but this is the sort of stuff that turns
>>other races and cultures against you, why should the rest of the world
>>change its language because the americans had slavery and a cival war
>>over it.
>
> I see no reason for that, and I am an American.
>
> The original post was apparently intended as a troll --
> especially since someone was posting counting responders who took it
> seriously.
>
> The vast majority of us consider the whole thing to be
> ridiculous. Unfortunately, there are some in positions of control
> (especially in parts of California) who believe too much in such
> things.
>
>>The word slave has several meanings, including the one they are
>>getting bent out of shape for:
>
> Of course.
>
> Enjoy,
> DoN.

Hey Don,

I was actually refering to the news report that was linked, not the OP.

Mick
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:40:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 05:28:20 GMT, Mick Brown
<nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote in
>news:D 8d93m$2ff$1@Fuego.d-and-d.com:
>
>> In article <Xns96724C3BC4ACBnmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5>,
>> Mick Brown <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> [ ... ]
>>
>>>Please don't take this as a rant against Americans, I have many
>>>friends that are American, but this is the sort of stuff that turns
>>>other races and cultures against you, why should the rest of the world
>>>change its language because the americans had slavery and a cival war
>>>over it.
>>
>> I see no reason for that, and I am an American.
>>
>> The original post was apparently intended as a troll --
>> especially since someone was posting counting responders who took it
>> seriously.
>>
>> The vast majority of us consider the whole thing to be
>> ridiculous. Unfortunately, there are some in positions of control
>> (especially in parts of California) who believe too much in such
>> things.
>>
>>>The word slave has several meanings, including the one they are
>>>getting bent out of shape for:
>>
>> Of course.
>>
>> Enjoy,
>> DoN.
>
>Hey Don,
>
>I was actually refering to the news report that was linked, not the OP.
>
>Mick

The linked CNN article was doing some pretty dispassionate reporting
of the idiocy that is PC.
That someone complains does not mean the complaint is taken seriously
by all.

--
Big Bill
Replace "g" with "a"

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:04:03 +0000, Pete D wrote:

> You must indeed be one of the chosen ones to never have linux crash., I
> mean I really rate that a very high WOW factor. :-)
>
> I have killed entire PC's just installing Linux at times, perhaps you need
> to try harder. ;-)
>
> Cheers.
>
> Pete

What he's not telling you is that it took him years to figure out just how
to load the OS in the first place. Truth.

--
email: drop rods and insert surfaces
Anonymous

> Moses wrote:
>
>> sirs,
>>
>> I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
>> lightes on a photographic machine.
>>
>> it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
>> depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
>> backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>>
>> please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
>> them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.
>>

> LOL! So what should we call a clutch master and slave cylinder or a brake
> master cylinder then? Is it "racist" to call them this?
>
> --
>
> Stacey

Good observation. We've been doing this for so long... I just think being
PC has gotten out of hand. Are you an African American when you weren't
born in Africa? Aren't you just an American?

One of my favorite TV scenes is from Sanford and Son. A cop asks Sanford if
the robber was "colored" and Sanford says, "Yes. White!"

I guess the way around all this is to use the terms primary and secondary,
but it's pretty stupid. We should all be beyond this by now, and I've never
thought of a master cylinder as a racist term. But then I'm not Black, err,
African American.

Sheldon
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:15:44 PM

wrote:

>sirs,
>
>I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
>lightes on a photographic machine.
>
>it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
>depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
>backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>
>please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
>them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.
>
>Moses

Here in Southern California, Los Angeles has gone as far as requiring
contractors and anyone providing products or services to the city remove
ALL references to "Master" and "Slave" on any equipment and/or
documentation. The terms are no longer politically correct. See:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/11/27/1069825905...

--
Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:18:58 -0700, "Bob Harrington"
<rch.NOS-PAM@blarg.net> wrote:

>Big Bill wrote:
>> On 10 Jun 2005 05:44:14 -0700, "dalesky" <dalem5892000@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Or, just get over it, and realize that the terms are part of the
>>> lexicon of cameras, and certainly not intended to covey any racial
>>> tone.
>>> Seriously, not to be offensive, but if you are seriously raising this
>>> issue that's my serious reply.
>>
>> Aside from your obvious lack of discernment, the OP is late...
>> http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.re...
>
>Also diverts attention from the *really* important battles, like PETA's
>valiant fight to get those evil Nemo murderers in Fishkill, New York to
>change the bloody name of their town...

Note the two defining phrases in the article:

"We would request"

and

"appropriate"

... use of either of which is reliably diagnostic of the
namby-pamby.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 3:59:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:04:47 GMT, Brad <bjdbradnospam@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:07:47 +0100, "Moses" <moseswakkumi@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>sirs,
>>
>>I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
>>lightes on a photographic machine.
>>
>>it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
>>depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
>>backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>>
>>please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
>>them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.
>>
>>Moses
>>

>I can't believe you are seriously bring this up......you do much more
>harm than good with this kind of idiocy.....its also very common in
>computer lingo where number 1 and number 2 won't work

Of course it works! Don't you remember IBM's silliness in
refusing to use right and left to refer to mouse buttons? In order not
to offend the delicate sensibilities of southpaws and other sinister
types, they let you change the usage of the mouse buttons to your
taste, then referred to them only as button one and button two in
subsequent documentation.

Damned wonder the Army wasn't required to let recruits do
likewise, then salute with your chosen "Number One" hand.

Imagine the fun if the highway department did the same and you
encountered a sign telling you, "Lane Ends -- Merge One".
June 12, 2005 3:59:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Air France 230 to tower we have an emergency"

"State your emergency please"

"Roger tower there is opposing traffic on our altitude"

"Yes I see it on radar IMMEDIATLY TURN ONE, TURN ONE!!"

"Huh?"

"I SAID TURN ONE, TURN ONE!!!"

---

"Air France?"

---

"Hello?"

---

Bob
Funny
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:01:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 04:36:19 GMT, Brad <bjdbradnospam@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:09:15 -0400, Dragan Cvetkovic <me@privacy.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Brad <bjdbradnospam@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I can't believe you are seriously bring this up......you do much more
>>> harm than good with this kind of idiocy.....its also very common in
>>> computer lingo where number 1 and number 2 won't work ......main and
>>> secondary admittedly would work but when its crystal clear that no
>>> disrespect whatsoever is meant it goes beyond reality to take offense
>>> at something like that........
>>
>>Check e.g. http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/master.asp
>>
>>for 'The County of Los Angeles has requested that equipment vendors avoid
>>using the industry term "Master/Slave" in product descriptions and
>>labeling.'
>>
>>Old news.
>>
>>Bye, Dragan
>

>Leave it to California.....I wish they would hurry up and break off...

Leaving the US as the world's sixth largest economy.

>Brad
>
>LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
>WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
>SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:47:52 PM

Gary Edstrom wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:07:47 +0100, "Moses" <moseswakkumi@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >sirs,
> >
> >I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
> >lightes on a photographic machine.
> >
> >it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
> >depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
> >backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
> >
> >please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
> >them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.
> >
> >Moses
> >

> Here in Southern California, Los Angeles has gone as far as requiring
> contractors and anyone providing products or services to the city remove
> ALL references to "Master" and "Slave" on any equipment and/or
> documentation. The terms are no longer politically correct. See:
> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/11/27/1069825905...
>
> --
> Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
> Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
> A tagline is a terrible thing to waste.
> The above tagline is number 31 in a series of 547. Collect them all!

Have you had the PC nonsense from 'wimmins' groups requiring 'manhole'
to be 'personhole', 'mankind' to be 'personkind', and to use
work-arounds for words like 'manicure' and 'manifest'?
Our schoolkids' sports activities don't keep the score, so there are no
losers? What next?

Colin
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:47:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:47:52 +1200, Colin D
<ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Gary Edstrom wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:07:47 +0100, "Moses" <moseswakkumi@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >sirs,
>> >
>> >I was heartbrokenly shocked to hear of the news about using two flashing
>> >lightes on a photographic machine.
>> >
>> >it is indeed terrible to read that one of the flashing lightes is
>> >depravedly called slave to the other called master. are we going so
>> >backwardsly that this should be so in these new times?
>> >
>> >please do not call your flashing lighte master or slave but instead call
>> >them number one and number too in order that offense might be missed.
>> >
>> >Moses
>> >

>> Here in Southern California, Los Angeles has gone as far as requiring
>> contractors and anyone providing products or services to the city remove
>> ALL references to "Master" and "Slave" on any equipment and/or
>> documentation. The terms are no longer politically correct. See:
>> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/11/27/1069825905...
>>
>> --
>> Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
>> Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
>> A tagline is a terrible thing to waste.
>> The above tagline is number 31 in a series of 547. Collect them all!
>
>Have you had the PC nonsense from 'wimmins' groups requiring 'manhole'
>to be 'personhole', 'mankind' to be 'personkind', and to use
>work-arounds for words like 'manicure' and 'manifest'?

Does this mean ship riggers can no longer use snatch blocks?

>Our schoolkids' sports activities don't keep the score, so there are no
>losers? What next?
>
>Colin
June 12, 2005 4:47:53 PM

Colin D wrote:

> Our schoolkids' sports activities don't keep the score, so there are no
> losers?

Well "they" might not but the kids do! :-)

--

Stacey
Anonymous

In article <3h26qaFethahU1@individual.net>, Trapezium <no@none.com>
wrote:

> You pompous arsehole! - the Japanese were not 'defeated' by the United
> States - they were simply bombed into submission by the use of terror
> weapons on the civilian population.

Heh, heh. Defeated is defeated. We finished what they started, and did
it well. By that period in the war, nothing could have saved Japan. We
just did it in the quickest and most humane way possible.

Yes, I said humane. Would you prefer we had invaded and killed every
single Japanese one at a time? It was their avowed intention to fight
to the last man. The bomb certainly saved at least tens of thousands of
American lives, and most probably an even greater number of Japanese.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 5:44:14 PM

In article <3h329aFet7adU1@individual.net>, Trapezium <no@none.com>
wrote:

> They could, however, had dropped the A-Bomb on an uninhabited island and
> invited the Japanese to surrender before the exercise was repeated on them -
> but, then, the warmongers were very keen to see what would happen in a
> 'real-life' scenario, so they decided to go straight for mass murder without
> any faffing about over inconvenient legalities (sound familiar?)

How many A-bombs do you think we had? It wasn't like the 70's when
every base commander had a few stashed under his bunk, so to speak.

I have no boubt that some in the military were interested in the
results of actual combat use, but they're NOT the people who made the
decision.

Instead, imagine a President later explaining he could have used a new
weapon to end the war WITHOUT FURTHER AMERICAN CASUALTIES, but chose
not to do so. "Sorry about all your sons, moms - we thought it was too
cruel to use the bomb."
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:06:41 PM

Scott Schuckert wrote:
> In article <3h26qaFethahU1@individual.net>, Trapezium <no@none.com>
> wrote:
>

>>You pompous arsehole! - the Japanese were not 'defeated' by the United
>>States - they were simply bombed into submission by the use of terror
>>weapons on the civilian population.
>

> Heh, heh. Defeated is defeated. We finished what they started, and did
> it well. By that period in the war, nothing could have saved Japan. We
> just did it in the quickest and most humane way possible.
>
> Yes, I said humane. Would you prefer we had invaded and killed every
> single Japanese one at a time? It was their avowed intention to fight
> to the last man. The bomb certainly saved at least tens of thousands of
> American lives, and most probably an even greater number of Japanese.

the best estimates were 2 million Allied casualties, and 7 million
Japanese dead from an invasion of the home islands. But killing a
couple of hundred thousand instead was terrible.. You want someone to
blame, blame the Japanese for not surrendering when they could easily
see the war was lost.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
!