Bang for your buck Gaming Rig $600-$1000

blbeta

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I am a bang for your buck guy. I don't need the fastest but would like to squeeze as much gaming performance out of the money as possible. I have not overclocked a system before, but am willing to spend a couple hours doing it if it yields tangible performance gains. IE: I don't care if a game goes from 90 FPS to 100 FPS. As long as the minimum is 40 FPS + I think I am good.

Approximate Purchase Date: Now to a month from now. (I'll actually be making two systems, but one this week and one a month from now or so.)

Budget Range: $600-$1000 ; instant rebates are good but don't care for mail in. Also I don't need to spend the max if I can get performance I want for less.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Graphic Design/Layout(Photoshop/Illustrator), Video Editing(Record/Stream game play), other things as well but just about any rig will do all of that just fine.

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers.... All I need is the box and innards. Might even use old Antec cases I have.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: In order; Newegg.com, PCDirect.com(local store), Amazon.com

Parts Preferences: Was AMD CPU person but Intel appears to be the way to go. Prefer EVGA/Nvidia video cards but open to others. Been using Cosair PSU but open. RAM 8GB+ don't care much about brand.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

Additional Comments: Need to have SSD 120GB-260GB for main drive. I have one or two SATA HDDs I'll put in as well.

Main goal is to be able to run a game like BF3 with max settings at 1920x1200/1080. I don't need AA of AF cranked. I expect video card performance to be GTX 560TI or better to get what I want. I am open to AMD video card, but thought I may want to stick with nVidia for CUDA with my Adobe software.

I expect the CPU to probably be i5 2400 or better. From what I can tell the only reason to go to i5 2500K is if I am going to OC. Will i5 2400 + GTX560TI be enough to get great performance in games that I want at that resolution?

Just want to make sure I am not missing some awesome deal somewhere right now.

g-unit1111

Titan
Parts Preferences: Was AMD CPU person but Intel appears to be the way to go. Prefer EVGA/Nvidia video cards but open to others. Been using Cosair PSU but open. RAM 8GB+ don't care much about brand.

Intel is definitely the way to go. NVIDIA is a good choice but right now the only option is the $500 680 and you can't squeeze that into a >=$1K budget no matter how hard you try.

Just want to make sure I am not missing some awesome deal somewhere right now.

Not really - the new cards from both AMD and NVIDIA just have been released so the previous gen are going away but you're not going to find them at reduced prices.

Additional Comments: Need to have SSD 120GB-260GB for main drive

Get this later - spend the money on the 2500K and the best video card you can get, get the expensive storage devices later.

I expect the CPU to probably be i5 2400 or better. From what I can tell the only reason to go to i5 2500K is if I am going to OC. Will i5 2400 + GTX560TI be enough to get great performance in games that I want at that resolution?

Should be - you should take a look at the new AMD cards as they're based on a far newer architecture than the 560TI is and will give you far better frame rates.

Try this build:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - $99.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: Corsair TX650 V2 - $89.99 ($15.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3H - $159.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - $219.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST 1TB - $109.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Power Color Radeon HD 7850 - $259.99

Total: $1,040.91 - $25.00 MIR = $1,015.91