Sign in with
Your question

Bang for your buck Gaming Rig $600-$1000

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2012 6:03:05 PM

I am a bang for your buck guy. I don't need the fastest but would like to squeeze as much gaming performance out of the money as possible. I have not overclocked a system before, but am willing to spend a couple hours doing it if it yields tangible performance gains. IE: I don't care if a game goes from 90 FPS to 100 FPS. As long as the minimum is 40 FPS + I think I am good.

Approximate Purchase Date: Now to a month from now. (I'll actually be making two systems, but one this week and one a month from now or so.)

Budget Range: $600-$1000 ; instant rebates are good but don't care for mail in. Also I don't need to spend the max if I can get performance I want for less.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Graphic Design/Layout(Photoshop/Illustrator), Video Editing(Record/Stream game play), other things as well but just about any rig will do all of that just fine.

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers.... All I need is the box and innards. Might even use old Antec cases I have.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: In order; Newegg.com, PCDirect.com(local store), Amazon.com

Parts Preferences: Was AMD CPU person but Intel appears to be the way to go. Prefer EVGA/Nvidia video cards but open to others. Been using Cosair PSU but open. RAM 8GB+ don't care much about brand.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

Additional Comments: Need to have SSD 120GB-260GB for main drive. I have one or two SATA HDDs I'll put in as well.

Main goal is to be able to run a game like BF3 with max settings at 1920x1200/1080. I don't need AA of AF cranked. I expect video card performance to be GTX 560TI or better to get what I want. I am open to AMD video card, but thought I may want to stick with nVidia for CUDA with my Adobe software.

I expect the CPU to probably be i5 2400 or better. From what I can tell the only reason to go to i5 2500K is if I am going to OC. Will i5 2400 + GTX560TI be enough to get great performance in games that I want at that resolution?

Just want to make sure I am not missing some awesome deal somewhere right now.
a c 245 4 Gaming
March 22, 2012 6:11:29 PM

Quote:
Parts Preferences: Was AMD CPU person but Intel appears to be the way to go. Prefer EVGA/Nvidia video cards but open to others. Been using Cosair PSU but open. RAM 8GB+ don't care much about brand.

Intel is definitely the way to go. NVIDIA is a good choice but right now the only option is the $500 680 and you can't squeeze that into a >=$1K budget no matter how hard you try.

Quote:
Just want to make sure I am not missing some awesome deal somewhere right now.

Not really - the new cards from both AMD and NVIDIA just have been released so the previous gen are going away but you're not going to find them at reduced prices.

Quote:
Additional Comments: Need to have SSD 120GB-260GB for main drive

Get this later - spend the money on the 2500K and the best video card you can get, get the expensive storage devices later.

Quote:
I expect the CPU to probably be i5 2400 or better. From what I can tell the only reason to go to i5 2500K is if I am going to OC. Will i5 2400 + GTX560TI be enough to get great performance in games that I want at that resolution?

Should be - you should take a look at the new AMD cards as they're based on a far newer architecture than the 560TI is and will give you far better frame rates.

Try this build:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - $99.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: Corsair TX650 V2 - $89.99 ($15.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3H - $159.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - $219.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST 1TB - $109.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Power Color Radeon HD 7850 - $259.99

Total: $1,040.91 - $25.00 MIR = $1,015.91
March 24, 2012 7:37:48 PM

I ended up going with this...
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
It does have 2x Monitor, no case and no OS.
I was about $20 cheaper than it is now. Logitech mouse was on sale for $49

I did stick with SSD because I use it for work a lot throughout the day and the quick loading seems like something I will enjoy. I am constantly opening image files all day long.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
March 24, 2012 7:39:58 PM

The 7850 is cheaper and performs much better than the 560ti, even better than the GTX 570.
a b 4 Gaming
March 24, 2012 8:22:12 PM

Tom's reviews are not really up to standard as they use an inferior benching system. I would use Anandtech, TechPowerUp, or HardOCP's reviews.
!