My build....advice, input please

naero2

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Hi all. finaly upgradeing the pc. My old rig is a nforce mobo, core2 duo, and a gtx295.

This morning I have purchased a gtx 680. This is the only piece set in stone atm. I am lookin at the Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3 mobo for 2 reasons. This board has 2x pci express 3.0 slots if in the future I decide to SLI this. Also it has 2x ethernet with teaming. This sounds cool, but im not so sure in practice how much better it will be than just a stand alone ethernet. Without teaming many other mobo options open up. Was initially going with the i7 2600k, but with the price so close im thinking i7 2700k now. Also played with the idea of the i5 2500.
I intend on 16gb ram....whatever here open for suggestions. I already have a solid case with a 1200w power supply, multiple hdds, solid and normal.
I normaly run 2 monitors, no plans atm to go for 3 =)
Money isnt a huge issue, but as always I want the best bang for my $.

Thanks in advance.
Rob

naero2

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: 2 weeks or so

Budget Range:(e.g.: 600-800)flexible under 2k I hope

System Usage from Most to Least Important: games, music, school

Parts Not Required: I dont need a case(but no dust filter in current), dvd, power supply, hdd's

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:eek:nt care so long as its reputable. bought my vid card from tigger direct

Parts Preferences:by brand or type: Intel. memory I dont know..
Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / Maybe

Monitor Resolution:(1920x1080, 1920x1200)

Additional Comments: edited after retro stiky reading =)

obsama1

Distinguished
If you're playing games the i5 is better. The i7 just has hyper threading which makes NO difference in games. Trust me. The $100 you save should be put towards something else. I'll BRB in a few min. with a build.

obsama1

Distinguished
You only really need 1600. After that, the difference is minimal. When you game, the difference between 1600 and 1866 is like 1FPS. You can always overclock the RAM, though. 2133 MHz is only needed for graphic design and workstations.vAlso, BTW, what games do you want to play? Crysis? BF3? WoW?

Furthermore, added thermal paste, so your CPU will run cool/