Need Suggestion URGENT

Saadssk94

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hey guyz im buying HD 6750 to play battlefield 3 on 1280x1024 resolution so can i maxout battlefield 3 or not?
if not then i want to know can my power supply run 6770
18122011002.jpg

here is the pic of power supply

and if u can suggest me a better card for my psu i will be very thankful

my pc specs
core i3 2100
p8h61
4gbram

That power supply does not actually list the combined numbers, but they ALL do add up to the ~420(418ish).

The power supply can provide about 276 watts on its 12 volt rail(s). Now there are not many reviews to state if this unit does in fact deliver it.

The power supplies output is more comparable to a 300-350 by today's standards and this is clearly an old design.

While if it delivers its rated power, it will run, I would not trust it too much.

A good 400+ watt Corsair(builder series for a budget),Antec(Green or basiq even for a budget),Seasonic, even OCZ(FSP) units will work for you FAR better every time.

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
It should be fine even if it doesn't. 6770's don't draw much power. I believe a version of the 5770 (which is the same care) was actually made w/o any 6-pins at all actually.

The i3 is a very low power CPU, he shouldn't hardly break 200w used under load, which leaves plenty to spare even if his power supply only delivers 75% of it's rated capacity.

Yup they do have a 6 pin free card. Your board needs to be newer as older ones limit to 75 watts for a pci-e slot it self.

On the topic of power, yes, i would bet well under 200(gonna guess under 150 for the most part), but playing it safe with the unknown power supply(age, will it kill it self without killing the pc?) here.

Check my "Member configuration" for my media center :)

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
A 6750 and 6770 will borh work fine. Nuke is just being extremely overcautious. 6750's and 6770's as i said before are literally the same price, but the 6770 has 800 shaders @ 850mhz, while the 6750 has 720 @ 700mhz.

The 6750 is just a bad value card right now. The power use is very close to the same between them as well, there is just no reason to buy a 6750 period. You'd get ~10-20% worse performance for the same cost.

Yes your power supply isn't great, but a 6770 will at most push it to 50% of it's rated capacity. That it well within the range of safety. The only way that would cause a problem is if you just had a bad power supply, in which case it wouldn't matter what card you got at all. As long as you don't have a genuinely faulty PSU, either of those cards would be completely fine to use. But like I said, they cost the same while the 6770 is straight better.

Get what you want, but you're literally throwing away free performance if you buy a 6750 as opposed to a 6770. And at that price level the performance will be noticeable, we're not talking the difference between 110 and 120 FPS here, but something that could well decide if a game is playable or not on semi-decent quality settings.

On average there is about a 11 watt(20 watts if you want to run furmarks) difference from a 5750 to a 5770. So yeah, if you are that close to the power supplies limits, either card is bad.

The 5770 is the only card that makes sense to use for you.

I am not going to lie, I have not used your power supply(thus the being extremely overcautious) and do not like its older design(as it is at best like a modern 300-350 watt unit anyway, so i would consider about 250-300 being its top end power output. Do not be fooled by overall power, its all[ok, mostly] about 12 volt these days).

Personally i am running a 5770 + i5 750 on a 300 watt power supply without issues at all(and never pulling over 200 from the wall(Prime95 + Games) most games are in the 140-150 range. The idle is under 40watts)

Can i make a promise on a power supply i have never used? Nope.

If you are worried, or want to know just how much power the system takes, pick up an energy meter(it may surprise you), it will tell you how much power you are pulling and DC power is lower since there is a loss swapping AC to DC. Just don't pull much over 250 from that thing and you should be fine.

I use this
http://www.upm-marketing.com/products/em100.html

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
It uses two molex 4- pins to adapt to a single 6-pin.

It's certainly not as advisable as actually having a 6-pin available, but the power use of the 6770 is only very marginally above what the PCI-E slot itself can provide, so it should be ok.

That said, I do have to ask how old the power supply is to not even have a single PCI-E 6-pin?

TRENDING THREADS