Sign in with
Your question

New build issues

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2012 8:17:18 PM

Hello,
First off let me say that I am no pro but I have built a few better than average gaming systems before. I'm currently attempting to start up a new build for a friend of mine and its not going well at all. To start with I'll list all of the components that I helped my buddy pick out and order form newegg. AMD FX quad core 3.6GHz CPU w/ stock heat sync & fan, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 mobo, 8GB92x$GB)Kingston Hyper X RAM, Antec EA-750/900 green power supply, Seagate 250 GB HDD w/ nothing on it, Asus cd/dvd drive, MSI R6770 MDIGD5 1GB GDDR5 video card & a Rosewell Destroyer case. I have the same case for my personal desktop as well as a Gigabyte mobo and the MSI radeon series video card. basicly building a newer stepped up version of my own computer that works smoothly 24/7. All components went together smoothly, I am familiar with the case so it was pretty quick as well. When I went to power up the unit expecting to listen for POST beep codes if there was a hardware problem followed by BIOS starting up I was surprised to hear nothing but the power unit fan, 3 case fans, cpu cooling fan, and lights come up on the LED lit fans. So I have power & no video output to see if Bios is starting up or not. So I started checking video card to make sure 6 pin connector is connected , it was. I checked the mobo P1 main 24 pin power suply, and the P2 4/8 pin power connectors. I had all 8 plugged in at this time. Checked to make sure Ram was seated and in the proper RAM slots 1 & 2 rather than 3 & 4. power cycled the computer after about a minute. I have checked and rechecked everything 3 times now and simply am stumped. I work at a data center managing over 800 servers a day, tier 1 -3 help desk 5 days a week. I build them, take them apart and configure windows, Linux & Mac OS's systems as well as the switches and routers that connect them all. This is a simple window & x 64 install after passing post test checking BIOS to ensure all hardware is being seem by the mobo. Install drivers and then OS.
I feel like a noob here, like the answer is sitting right on the end of my nose and I can't see it yet.
Any ideas where to start?

More about : build issues

March 22, 2012 8:28:54 PM

Try putting a different processor in the computer. Non-FX preferably.

Hopefully, with your considerable resources, that shouldn't be too hard to pull off.
m
l
March 22, 2012 8:39:21 PM

Try another CPU.
m
l
Related resources
March 22, 2012 8:39:32 PM

Raiddinn said:
Try putting a different processor in the computer. Non-FX preferably.

Hopefully, with your considerable resources, that shouldn't be too hard to pull off.

Well, they are not my considerable resources, My friend saved up for 4 months and we only spent just over $600.00 on the entire setup.
I do have another cpu to swap with but I don't think its the same socket type. This mobo has the AM3+ socket. Would my AMD Phenom II Black 6 core work? I don't remember the socket type for my cpu.
m
l
March 22, 2012 8:43:13 PM

MY Phenom is AM# socket not AM3+ just looked it up.
m
l
March 22, 2012 9:05:39 PM

Am3 fits Am3+, you can use it.
m
l
!