Sign in with
Your question

Connecting PC Soundcard with DVD Home Cinema

Last response: in Components
July 6, 2012 12:28:39 PM

Hello i have a SB Audigy 4 sound card and i would like to connect it with my LG DVD/CD receiver LH-T6348. There is a digital output on my Sound card but no digital input or something on my DVD reciever, only the usual AUX RED/WHITE input.
I dont know much about it so its harder for me to explain, but what i would love to have is a Surround sound when i am watching Blue ray movies on my PC. At the moment i only have a standard Stereo sound with Sub Woofer included as well but the Center Speaker and both Rear ones do not work, probably because the DVD receiver is now connected only with the Headphones output on my Sound card.
I would like to know if its possible to have a surround sound like that in the first place, and if yes i would appreciate if someone could guide me how to do it :) 
Thanks in advance!!

...i dont know if there is an introduction to the forum necessary first, if yes i will do so.

Ivan
July 8, 2012 2:36:24 PM

Ivan your Audigy 4 has the output capability as long as your receiver can accept them, you would need to buy adapters for the output jacks to the cables your receiver needs.

Possibly a 3.5mm or 1/8" stereo jack split to 2 RCA connections? depending on what your inputs on your receiver are, in the US, Radio Shack stocks those adapters.

Audigy 4 outputs.
The Green jack is front output left and right.
The Black jack is rear output left and right.
The Orange jack is center and sub output.

I was going to attempt to give you more detailed help by downloading your receivers manual from the LG website but your model # LH-T6348 returned no results, so I'm assuming it's an older model maybe?

Quote:
There is a digital output on my Sound card but no digital input or something on my DVD receiver, only the usual AUX RED/WHITE input.

Unfortunately you cannot get 5.1 if you only have a single left/right audio input connection on your receiver, (unless continue reading), you would have to have stereo channeling using the Green output on the sound card not the headphone output.

Your options regarding the sound card are pretty much unlimited with the proper adapters, unfortunately your receiver options are seriously limited as far as direct throughput from the sound card itself.

However if your receiver/amplifier has 5.1 reproduction capability from stereo input signal, then the Green output of the sound card coupled with the Creative control center set as stereo 2 speaker output sends all the available signal to the Green Front output port.

Which will supply your amp with the full signal to convert to 5.1.

Hope this helps you! Ryan
July 8, 2012 9:50:07 PM

To be fair though, I think he'd prefer the actual 5.1 signal, and not just upmix a 2.0 one...

Sounds like he's out of luck on that front, unless his receiver can accept a 5.1 stream via 6 RCA cables [using three TRS to RCA converter cables to make the connection].
July 10, 2012 8:53:20 AM

Thanks for your help guys, seems like i have to buy a new Home Cinema :p 
As you said Ryan, my LG is a older model :/ 
!