Upgrading Mobo/CPU Question about OS on SSD

madamx

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Hello everyone,

I think I have done a great job at confusing myself by overthinking the process overnight.. lol. But Im trying to figure out the best course of action for putting in my new Mobo /CPU, my current system:

CPU: Quadcore Intel i5-750

MOBO: Gigabyte GA P55-UD3L v1.0 1156

SSD: KINGSTON HyperX SH100S3120G ATA Device (120 GB, SATA-III) I have my OS Win 7 home premium 64 bit Upgrade edition on this & few programs i use often.

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EACS 1TB 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s - Installed programs and misc files.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136151

I bought:

CPU: Core i5 2500K LGA 1155

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0375352

I also bought a Win 7 Oem and a Seagate Barracuda® Green SATA 6Gb/s 1.5TB Hard Drive http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?name=st1500dl003-bcuda-green-sata-6gb-1.5tb-hd&vgnextoid=2035439d45c0b210VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD with plans to put that in her PC with my original MOBO/CPU.

My plan is to pass down my original Mobo/CPU/Memory to my sister and install the new stuff in mine, and shes going to pass down her Mobo/CPU/HDD to her daughter lol! its the Mobo train yay! lol... So my questions are:

Im assuming I have to reinstall the OS on the SSD? (or could I get away with a non destructive repair of some sort.)

If so, will I have to reinstall and wipe my HDD as well? I have some programs installed on it that I didnt care to have running from the SSD.

If my sister passes down her original Mobo/CPU/HDD would I have to reinstall on this one as well?

I have a feeling Im making a mountain out of a molehill here but I figure it didnt hurt to ask, never dealt with SSD's. You all have always been great to me on these forums and I appreciate it very much! Thank you for your time! :D

Solution
Plan on reinstalling an OS if you change the motherboard it is attached to. Once in a while you can avoid it if it is motherboards from the same company, but its very likely you will have to reinstall.

If the sister passes down the motherboard and hard drive she may not have to, but she may also have to do so as well. At the very least she may need to re-activate the OS. That may mean a call to Microsoft.

Also, the legality of an OEM OS is almost always highly questionable, if not outright illegal, but in this case you may be able to pull it off. The computer it is installed on has to be transferred to somebody else and not used by yourself, and that sounds like it is going to happen when you give the old parts to the sister.
Plan on reinstalling an OS if you change the motherboard it is attached to. Once in a while you can avoid it if it is motherboards from the same company, but its very likely you will have to reinstall.

If the sister passes down the motherboard and hard drive she may not have to, but she may also have to do so as well. At the very least she may need to re-activate the OS. That may mean a call to Microsoft.

Also, the legality of an OEM OS is almost always highly questionable, if not outright illegal, but in this case you may be able to pull it off. The computer it is installed on has to be transferred to somebody else and not used by yourself, and that sounds like it is going to happen when you give the old parts to the sister.

Solution