Sign in with
Your question

Power Fan With SATA Connector

Last response: in Components
July 6, 2012 12:34:45 PM

I'm not exactly sure where to put this, so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong section. I've run out of molex connections on my power supply, but I have a few SATA power connections to spare. I still have one fan that needs power. I have a 3 pin fan connector to molex adaptor, and I also have a SATA to molex converter. If I plug it all together, I can therefore connect the fan to the SATA power on my power supply. Would it work and power up the fan or would everything explode? I need to know if I need another cable, but it's complicated. I have three molex connectors: one is connected to a splitter for all my other fans, the other two are being used to provide another PCI Express power cable as my power supply only comes with one built in. It would be really great and easy if the SATA solution would work.

More about : power fan sata connector

a c 139 ) Power supply
July 6, 2012 1:01:14 PM

Hi,
If you are running out of connectors, there is a real possibility your are also nearing the limits of your PSU (just an observation which may be inaccurate).
There is this which will work
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
just ensure you have the amperage available for the fan(s) - which should be very little.
a b ) Power supply
July 7, 2012 10:13:54 AM

henrytg said:
I'm not exactly sure where to put this, so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong section. I've run out of molex connections on my power supply, but I have a few SATA power connections to spare. I still have one fan that needs power. I have a 3 pin fan connector to molex adaptor, and I also have a SATA to molex converter. If I plug it all together, I can therefore connect the fan to the SATA power on my power supply. Would it work and power up the fan or would everything explode? I need to know if I need another cable, but it's complicated. I have three molex connectors: one is connected to a splitter for all my other fans, the other two are being used to provide another PCI Express power cable as my power supply only comes with one built in. It would be really great and easy if the SATA solution would work.

what about the fan headers on your motherboard,have you used all of them ? (3pin fan connections)most motherboards have 3-4 of them
!