No input signal - HD6670 card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

skulkarax

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
So I bought HD6670 card(sapphire brand) from newegg. Uninstalled old card, installed new, dl'ed matched drivers and amd catalyst from amd site, long story short, pc boots up to login screen and then my screen goes black with the message "No input signal". Have to force reboot in safe and disable card from device mgr in order to boot in normal again. Fan on card works fine, I checked. At a loss here, so my specs are:

Amd athlon 64 x2 4800+
Hp pavilion a6030n
Nvidia mcp61 chipset
PCIe 1.1
430W antec Powertrip Trio
Award Phoenix BIOS version 5.27
2gb DDR2
LCD Starlogic monitor (VGA cable linked to card's DVI plug via supplied adapter)

Many thx!

Solution
That seems more of a windows-side problem, did you disable the intergrated IGP in the BIOS? Sometimes windows defaults the output to the Motherboard and does not use your card.

If you cannot disable your Intergrated GPU, follow these steps.
1- Boot your computer with your current card inserted, then plug your monitor to the motherboard.
2- If it doesn't show anything (don't continue), it may mean a other issue besides the graphic card.
--- Continue only if you can access windows.
3- If you have a second monitor, plug that one temporary on the Inserted Graphic card.
4- Right click on your desktop, choose "Screen Resolution" if you have Win7, or "Properties" if you have WinXP.
5-...

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
That seems more of a windows-side problem, did you disable the intergrated IGP in the BIOS? Sometimes windows defaults the output to the Motherboard and does not use your card.

If you cannot disable your Intergrated GPU, follow these steps.
1- Boot your computer with your current card inserted, then plug your monitor to the motherboard.
2- If it doesn't show anything (don't continue), it may mean a other issue besides the graphic card.
--- Continue only if you can access windows.
3- If you have a second monitor, plug that one temporary on the Inserted Graphic card.
4- Right click on your desktop, choose "Screen Resolution" if you have Win7, or "Properties" if you have WinXP.
5- Choose the Monitor #2 as the main monitor and disable the Monitor #1.
6- Un-Plug both of your monitors and plug in your main monitor (The one that you want to use) on the Inserted Graphic Card.

If one of the steps that I mentionned above doesn't work, please post more details.

Also, did you try to revert back to your old Graphic card? does it still work?

Hope it helps! :)

Solution

skulkarax

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

So I did not disable IGP in BIOS. And sapphire said to do that in the instructions, too! I just have never done anything in BIOS out of pure fear. Will look up how to do that and try again. Yes, my old card (x1550 radeon) was reinstalled and works fine and dandy. Don't have a 2nd monitor but will try IGP disable first and let you know.

skulkarax

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Ok so I could not find how to disable onboard graphics in my BIOS. So rather than F* around there, I had an idea of first physically removing the old card (not just uninstalling it from device manager), putting VGA cable into mobo's VGA port and then rebooting to see if it popped up. Thought maybe the presence of the other card was hiding it somehow. Sure enough, it was. An NVIDIA Geforce 6150SE popped up in Display Adapter in devmgr. Ecstatic, I disabled it, and shut down. Then I physically put in the new HD6670 card, reattached DVI-to-VGA adapter to the card's DVI port, and then the VGA cable to the adapter. Rebooted in normal mode and the 'New hardware found' icon popped up and driver started installing (as it said it would in Sapphire's crappy manual). However, half-way through it failed which also happened last time and it said to contact manufacturer (and I am at this point, but they have an iceberg-paced customer service that is just message based which sucks).

Although I am very weirded out here because if I just put the VGA cable into new card and not the mobo's monitor port and disabled the onboard graphics, but the driver for the new card failed to install, then how the hell am I still getting graphics to begin with??? Is the onboard graphics not REALLY disabled somehow? Very confused...

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
First, a video card without drivers is capable of displaying some data but it will not be used to 100% since it doesn't tell windows what power it has, how much memory it has, etc.
Windows doesn't have itself an driver for all graphic cards, did the Graphic Card came with an Driver CD/DVD? if so, install the drivers from the Disk first then reboot, it should work after this. Then you should un-install the nVidia drivers to not let windows put the intergrated card back as the main GPU.

skulkarax

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Yes the install CD came with it. I am going to throw it in and install whatever is in there. Did that last time but to no avail, and AMD's site had a different version but that didn't work either. Hoping you are right about the removing the old NVIDIA drivers after this... *crossing fingers*

skulkarax

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Ok using CD actually worked this time. It must've been the disabling of the onboard graphics. Lesson learned! One last qeustion though: I can't find the actual drivers for the Geforce 6150SE onboard graphics... would you happen to know where I could find those? Don't want to screw anything up here and remove the wrong thing...

Many thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.