Network adapter-hidden device

decadentdog

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
I just bought a gateway solo 5300 at a yard sale. I upgraded it to XP< but device manager shows no network adapter without going into hidden devices. How can I get it back? Not much good if it won't connect to internet.

If you "upgraded" it to XP, I assume it had Win98, which suggests this laptop dates back to the days when network adapters were not commonly built-in. You usually had to use either a PCMCIA/PC Card, or perhaps a USB network adapter. So you should be able to dig up, maybe off eBay.

P.S. I'm not sure what you're seeing under hidden devices, but I assume it's not a usable network adapter. It might just be a virtual network adapter, perhaps a WAN Miniport from some other piece of software, e.g., AOL. If so, the prior owner probably had a network adapter installed at one time and pulled it before selling it to you.

decadentdog

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011

No, it came with ME. It has an ethernet plug. I've started (just about finished) reinstalling with another disk just to be sure the other one didn't skip something. I'll let you know how it goes in a few minutes.