aladinsane2005

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Just about every time I play the pc game Skyrim it stops and goes to desktop with error message " driver stopped working and recovered" I got the latest driver with the new amd auto detect for my 5870 card and same problem. Help

i7 960 @ 3.20 Ghz
6GB memory
1 TB HD
Radeon 5870 1 GB GDDR5

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
google AMD 12.1a preview drivers, they are not on the AMD site because there hasn't been an official release yet. It fixed my issues with skyrim, although mine had more to do with CF, but it's worth a shot. And also as jryan388 stated run driver sweeper and uninstall any old nvidia drivers if you happen to have any.

What windows version do you run? Driver sweep is kind of pointless for Win7, but older windows versions it can fix issues. Windows 7 lets you have multiple sets of drivers that work independently, although it can't hurt to sweep them, it just has never been necessary for me since Win 7.

and yet no one here bashes on consoles every chance they get? get real

and i said no wonder the majority PLAYS ON CONSOLES not everyone plays SKYRIM ON CONSOLES

so DOUBLE FAIL

Fairly sure there is almost zero console bashing around here. The concept of consoles only ever comes up in the Video Games forum.

And, yeah, we know there's a large amount of console gamers. Guess what? I'm one of them. I'm also a PC gamer.

Go figure, eh?

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Try this:

Download the latest AMD driver from the website, download Driver Sweeper from http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/, uninstall your AMD driver, restart your computer into safe mode, Run driver sweeper and do a clean for AMD and Nvidia display (not sure if you had Nvidia in the past), remove all selected files, restart , install the newest display driver and test to see if the issue is fixed.