Sign in with
Your question

Dual monitor trouble

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2012 5:18:25 AM

I want to hook up my two VGA monitors to my dell Pc, so I can work on one screen while browsing on the other. I have an AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card with 1 vga, 1 hdmi and 1dvi-D outputs. Does any one know what adaptor/converter/splitter will work to allow me to do this??? I have tried a DVI to VGA adaptor but this obviously did not work since my card has a dvi-d out put not the standard dvi, i have read that dvi-d is for digital signal only and is not compatable with the analog VGA, is this true? I called dell tech support only to find they want $150 to answer my question. PLEASE HELP!

More about : dual monitor trouble

January 17, 2012 5:27:13 AM

your dvi to vga adapter would work just fine.. at least it always does for me.. go into your video settings( or resolution as 7 likes to call it ) and enable the second monitor.. extend desktop to this monitor.
January 17, 2012 6:05:33 AM

Dell is tryin to rip ya off!
Related resources
January 17, 2012 6:08:18 AM

unfortunately I have a DVI-D output which does not support anolog vga. and as far as i can tell nor does hdmi. Will a VGA splitter allow me to hook up two screens in span mode, or where i can work on one screen while navigating on the other???
January 17, 2012 6:09:40 AM

or does it just show the exact same thing on two screens?
January 17, 2012 6:11:16 AM

Two screens, same thing.

Are you sure you have a DVI-D card? Those are very rare. Make sure you have a DVI cord. Should support DVI A as well.
January 17, 2012 6:18:36 AM

its definately DVI-D, digital only, no analog.
January 17, 2012 6:44:52 AM

Thanks for the help!!! looks like i have to buy a new monitor with an HDMI or DVI-D input.
January 17, 2012 7:10:06 AM

I just noticed my computer also has a standard dvi output however it is part of the computers integrated system not part of the graphics card, when I plug the monitor in nothing at all happens and thecomputer will not recocnize it no matter what I do, however if I restart the computer an error message pops up onto the second screen (standard dvi). Is there a way to make the graphics card recognise this port so that I can run dual screens without having to buy a new monitor?
!