• New Build
  • Monitors
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2012 11:03:34 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within 1-2 Weeks

Budget Range: ~$1500-$2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Streaming Movies, Web surfing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, optical drives etc...

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com

Parts Preferences: Intel/Nvidia as I've had better luck with these brands.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: SLI in the future

Monitor Resolution: 2 22" 1680x1050 Monitors 2nd monitor is mainly used to have browers opened while I play games.

Additional Comments: I will be using this to mainly game (BF3, Skyrim, Diablo 3, DoTA 2) and stream Netflix to my 42" LCD TV. I would like this build to last ~3-5 yrs and I want to make sure all the parts I chose are compatable. I would like to add a good 24"-27" monitor in this build aslo, but I haven't really looked into this very much as it is currently not a priority. I'm open to suggestions to change anything in the build.

CASE : Corsair Carbide Series 500R $139.99
I currently have a COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP case and it has worked great. My only gripe is that everything fits VERY tight in there. The GPU its like a 1/4" away from the HD and from the video I watched from newegg the corsair will have plenty of room and I do not want a full tower. I will be giving away my old computer to a friend just taking my HDs and optical drives from it.

CPU : Intel Core i5-2500K Combo

MOBO : ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 $369.98
I chose this mobo because of the combo deal on newegg with the i5-2500k but I thought i saw the deal ends on 03/31 so I will probably be buying this within the next couple of days and everything else later once i get some feedback on here.

Cooler : Hyper 212 EVO $34.99
I plan to OC the i5-2500k

RAM : Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) $42.99
I'm unsure on what kind of ram to get. =/

HDD : Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB $119.99

GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Whenever those come back in stock. :cry: 

PSU : OCZ ZX Series 850W $169.99
I was planning on OCing the CPU and add another 680 GTX down the road when I get a bigger monitor. I will also be adding 2 more internal hds from my old build and wanted to make sure I enough to power everything with some breathing room.

Total : ~$1,543.79 I cant add the GPU to my cart yet as it is currently out of stock. :fou: 

More about : gaming build 1500 2000 advice

March 22, 2012 11:27:02 PM

Just realized I marked the thread as a question, is there anyway to change it to a discussion?
m
l
March 22, 2012 11:58:11 PM

Take a look at the $2000 build in my sig. Get a single GTX680 now instead of the dual GTX580's. It should cost ~$1600, and you can add another GTX680 later.

As for the monitor,
28" for not too much money http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C2B1O2/ref=as_li_q...
-or-
Something a bit smaller with 120Hz and 3D vision ready http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005902YKK/ref=as_li_q...

Also, you should stay away from those green drives. They may be cheap storage, but also agonizingly slow at times.
m
l
Related resources
March 23, 2012 3:55:59 AM

Quote:
Also, you should stay away from those green drives. They may be cheap storage, but also agonizingly slow at times.

I switched up the SSD to the one you recommended in your sig to Corsair Force Series 3

Would the Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe fit in the case I had picked out? That thing looks monstrous. Wondering if it would get in the way of the ram.
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 23, 2012 4:01:33 AM

x0duzz said:
Quote:

I switched up the SSD to the one you recommended in your sig to Corsair Force Series 3

Would the Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe fit in the case I had picked out? That thing looks monstrous.

Yeah the Carbide will fit a D14 no problem - it has about the same base as the Graphite 600T. And you're definitely better off getting a D14 than a H100.

Quote:
GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Whenever those come back in stock. :cry: 

I'm buying a 7870 and these disappear faster than I can blink. :lol: 
m
l
March 23, 2012 4:11:57 AM

x0duzz said:

Would the Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe fit in the case I had picked out? That thing looks monstrous. Wondering if it would get in the way of the ram.

Case would fit it easy, but RAM clearance can be an issue. It just might block off a couple of RAM slots. I'd suggest taking a look at the Samsung 30nm RAM i've used in my build. Extreme overclocking capabilities with super low power consumption. As a bonus, they are even shorter than the actual RAM slot.
m
l
March 23, 2012 4:42:33 AM

Just for your info the GTX 680 is still in stock at Tigerdirect
m
l
March 23, 2012 5:48:56 PM

aRodr1guez said:
Just for your info the GTX 680 is still in stock at Tigerdirect

Cool thanks for the heads up, but I've never heard of the Galaxy brand before. Are they reliable?

Quote:
I'd suggest taking a look at the Samsung 30nm RAM i've used in my build. Extreme overclocking capabilities with super low power consumption.

I've never tried to OC ram before, but I dont think it should be anymore difficult than a CPU/GPU. Thanks for the suggestions :D 
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 23, 2012 5:53:24 PM

x0duzz said:
Cool thanks for the heads up, but I've never heard of the Galaxy brand before. Are they reliable?

Quote:
I'd suggest taking a look at the Samsung 30nm RAM i've used in my build. Extreme overclocking capabilities with super low power consumption.

I've never tried to OC ram before, but I dont think it should be anymore difficult than a CPU/GPU. Thanks for the suggestions :D 

No - I wouldn't get that GPU - I've never seen Galaxy highly recommended anywhere. If you can wait for the EVGA model to come back in stock do that.

And *NEVER* under any circumstances OC your RAM - that has the potential to be build-frying and warranty-voiding on many levels, it can be very dangerous. You can set your memory multipliers to run at stock speeds but you *NEVER* want to go higher than that. It can be very disastrous.

Quote:

I wouldn't recommend going with a Sandforce-based SSD like the Force 3 - go with a Micron-based SSD like the Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 - you'll run into far fewer issues.
m
l
March 23, 2012 8:42:32 PM

Quote:
And *NEVER* under any circumstances OC your RAM - that has the potential to be build-frying and warranty-voiding on many levels, it can be very dangerous. You can set your memory multipliers to run at stock speeds but you *NEVER* want to go higher than that. It can be very disastrous.

:o  Scary, I wont try to OC that RAM then.

I think I will be buying all the parts this weekend sans the EVGA GTX 680. I will be looking into an HD monitor down the road. Thanks for all your help guys. Any tweaks before pulling the trigger?

Final build looks like this:

Case : Corsair Carbide Series 500R
MOBO : ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Switched to this one as the combo deal already ended. :cry: 
CPU : Intel Core i5-2500K
Cooler : Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
HDD : Crucial M4
PSU : Corsair Enthusiast Series 850-Watt
GPU : GTX 680
RAM : Samsung Electronics Extreme Low Voltage 30nm UDIMM 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600

~$1649.59
m
l
March 23, 2012 9:17:58 PM

For the cooler, get a Hyper 212 Evo.
m
l
March 23, 2012 9:27:52 PM

obsama1 said:
For the cooler, get a Hyper 212 Evo.

I would highly recommend this cooler, I'm at 4.2Ghz and after 1 hour of prime 95, my average temperature was 64C; which for the frequency and my bad cable management, is really quite good, alas, if you have good cable managment and plenty of case fans, you could easily push 4.5Ghz.
m
l
March 23, 2012 9:55:06 PM

for cooler hyper 212 evo is great but the d14 noctua is awesome. go grab that since you got a wide budget.

go grab some g.skill ripjaws X/sniper/z/ares ram those that are short go look at noctua sites to see which ram is compatible with d14

i suggest a single gtx680 from asus/msi/evga

and a nice 23" monitor with response time of 2gtg and a tn panel if you like playing FPS games, and if by change you can fork out extre bucks go grab 2 gtx680 out of the box, it's awesome and leet
m
l

Best solution

March 24, 2012 1:43:24 AM

x0duzz said:
Quote:

:o  Scary, I wont try to OC that RAM then.

I think I will be buying all the parts this weekend sans the EVGA GTX 680. I will be looking into an HD monitor down the road. Thanks for all your help guys. Any tweaks before pulling the trigger?

Final build looks like this:

Case : Corsair Carbide Series 500R
MOBO : ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Switched to this one as the combo deal already ended. :cry: 
CPU : Intel Core i5-2500K
Cooler : Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
HDD : Crucial M4
PSU : Corsair Enthusiast Series 850-Watt
GPU : GTX 680
RAM : Samsung Electronics Extreme Low Voltage 30nm UDIMM 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600

~$1649.59

That one sweet rig right there. Good job :) 
March 24, 2012 4:53:40 AM

Best answer selected by x0duzz.
m
l
March 24, 2012 4:54:43 AM

Thanks for all the feedback!!
m
l
!