Sign in with
Your question

How to quickly switch between Monitor and TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2012 5:38:00 AM

Hi Everyone!

I have a EVGA GTX 260 video card and my monitor and HDTV connected to it. My monitor has a resolution of 1650 and my TV has a resolution of 1920... so I can't clone it properly. I've made my peace with this fact. However, I was wondering if there is any way to create a quick switch shortcut or button (like most laptops have) to go from my monitor to my tv and back. I hate having to go to settings and changing from one to the other.

Thanks!

PS: I guess I'll throw it out there, anyway to have my desktop cloned and have one at two different resolutions? I did get a tool called ultramon but I couldn't get it to work. So if someone else has a great idea I'd love to hear it.

More about : quickly switch monitor

a b Î Nvidia
January 17, 2012 5:59:59 AM

Kvm switch
m
l
January 17, 2012 7:12:32 AM

right click on desktop/screen resolution/extend displays ?
You will just have to power your tv and drag your media player
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2012 8:50:05 PM

as amuffin says kvm switch they work great
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b x TV
a b C Monitor
January 17, 2012 9:19:17 PM

As I understand it, the NVidia Control Panel used to have this function, but stripped it out some time ago. Aside from upgrading to an ATI graphics card (ATI Catalyst Control Center allows you to set up a Hot Key sequence to swap monitors), you're best bet would be to take another look at Ultra-Mon.

I don't think a KVM will do what you're wanting to do.

-Wolf sends
m
l
January 18, 2012 12:56:08 AM

I guess the core of the problem is that i need my computer to output two separate desktops and windows 7 is not setup to do that. Ultramon can kind of fake it to some level but it uses way too much resources to be a practical solution and its not great. Extending the desktop is a viable option but it had its drawbacks and I would prefer to switch one at a time. If I could figure out some way to make a hotkey like the ATI graphics cards seem to have, that would be good enough for my needs.

-Beta
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:24:18 AM

betacase said:
Hi Everyone!

I have a EVGA GTX 260 video card and my monitor and HDTV connected to it. My monitor has a resolution of 1650 and my TV has a resolution of 1920... so I can't clone it properly. I've made my peace with this fact. However, I was wondering if there is any way to create a quick switch shortcut or button (like most laptops have) to go from my monitor to my tv and back. I hate having to go to settings and changing from one to the other.

Thanks!

PS: I guess I'll throw it out there, anyway to have my desktop cloned and have one at two different resolutions? I did get a tool called ultramon but I couldn't get it to work. So if someone else has a great idea I'd love to hear it.

WindowsKey + p should be the quickest
m
l
March 13, 2014 7:19:01 AM

Justin Buser said:
WindowsKey + p should be the quickest

I thought I knew all the useful Windows kb shortcuts but not that one!

It's just saved me some headache too, as I've recently switched from ATI to NVIDIA and was really missing the ability to quickly switch between screens via system tray. Win+P is even better!

Thanks! :) 
m
l
!