Doom3..first impressions..

Initial load time is kinda long.... graphics are very impressive... not as
dark as the pc version.. adjustable darkness is nice also... controls feel
very tight...button layout is good... using the back button as quicksave is
nice also...

So far, so good....
25 answers Last reply
More about doom3 first impressions

    Are the retailers releasing this early???? I thought it was Monday before
    it came out?!?!

    "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Are the retailers releasing this early???? I thought it was Monday before
    > it came out?!?!
    >

    > "mccall" <bowdenball@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Initial load time is kinda long.... graphics are very impressive... not
    as
    > > dark as the pc version.. adjustable darkness is nice also... controls
    feel
    > > very tight...button layout is good... using the back button as quicksave
    > > is
    > > nice also...
    > >
    > > So far, so good....

    local Blockbuster had it...actually had about 5-7 available.

    mccall wrote:
    > "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Are the retailers releasing this early???? I thought it was Monday before
    >>it came out?!?!
    >>

    >>"mccall" <bowdenball@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Initial load time is kinda long.... graphics are very impressive... not
    >
    > as
    >
    >>>dark as the pc version.. adjustable darkness is nice also... controls
    >
    > feel
    >
    >>>very tight...button layout is good... using the back button as quicksave
    >>>is
    >>>nice also...
    >>>
    >>>So far, so good....
    >>>

    > local Blockbuster had it...actually had about 5-7 available.

    game is sweet! nicest port i've seen of a FPS.

    "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    > mccall wrote:
    >> "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Are the retailers releasing this early???? I thought it was Monday
    >>>before
    >>>it came out?!?!
    >>>

    >>>"mccall" <bowdenball@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> as

    >> feel

    >> local Blockbuster had it...actually had about 5-7 available.
    >>

    > game is sweet! nicest port i've seen of a FPS.

    I played the PC version in the dark, lights off, with headphones.... Anyone
    know how to get some nasty stains out of a leather chair...??^_^

    So, does anyone know of any stores selling early (besides Blockbuster?)

    > So, does anyone know of any stores selling early (besides Blockbuster?)

    I don't think any Blockbusters have it out yet. There is a pirate version
    though so anyone that you hear talking about it is probably using that
    version.

    "CSM" <CSM@hotmail.xom> wrote in message
    > "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > So, does anyone know of any stores selling early (besides Blockbuster?)
    >
    > I don't think any Blockbusters have it out yet. There is a pirate version
    > though so anyone that you hear talking about it is probably using that
    > version.

    um.. no my local blockbuster had more than 5 up for rent... could send you
    the pics if you'd like

    really enjoying so far...excellent pc port

    CSM wrote:
    > "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > So, does anyone know of any stores selling early (besides
    Blockbuster?)

    > I don't think any Blockbusters have it out yet. There is a pirate
    version
    > though so anyone that you hear talking about it is probably using
    that
    > version.

    I got mine on Friday from the Georgesville Meijer in Columbus OH.

    Your an idiot, BlockBuster had it on Friday...I picked it up before going
    out of town. I also saw the game yesterday @ Circuit city while I was in Los
    Angeles. You prolly have the pirate version....right?

    > I don't think any Blockbusters have it out yet. There is a pirate version
    > though so anyone that you hear talking about it is probably using that
    > version.

    > local Blockbuster had it...actually had about 5-7 available.

    where at?

    "Mark Ingram" <billybadass@phuked.nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > local Blockbuster had it...actually had about 5-7 available.
    >
    > where at?

    Greenville, SC

    On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 12:32:01 -0500, "mccall" <bowdenball@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Initial load time is kinda long.... graphics are very impressive... not as
    >dark as the pc version.. adjustable darkness is nice also... controls feel
    >very tight...button layout is good... using the back button as quicksave is
    >nice also...
    >
    >So far, so good....

    I couldn't be bothered with the pc version as it chugged along on my
    system. However this xbox version is absolutely spot on, excellent
    frame rate, superb visuals, really, really impressive. The only downer
    I can say really which is about doom 3 in general is its gone for an
    atmosphere more like resident evil than the old doom games. In the old
    doom games you would get hordes of enemies at once. It was nuts quite
    frankly but here so far its only a few at a time. Obviously the
    excellent character graphics are part of this. There just isn't the
    power to do enemies this detailed in huge numbers. Anyway excellent
    conversion and a real kick in the teeth to pc users who said the xbox
    couldn't do it very well. In fact if anything it should be said that
    pcs in general can't do it very well but the xbox can.

    "mccall" <bowdenball@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Initial load time is kinda long.... graphics are very impressive... not as
    > dark as the pc version.. adjustable darkness is nice also... controls feel
    > very tight...button layout is good... using the back button as quicksave
    is
    > nice also...
    >
    > So far, so good....

    Playing it in the dark, I hope...

    I really like it. It's smooth, and the graphics are great. It has an
    option for optimizing the sound for headphones also, to make it more
    creepy.

    This port is fantastic. Anyone in doubt should rent this and see for
    themselves what the X-Box can do!

    We're playing Co-Op system link right now and it's a lot of freakin' fun!!!!

    mccall wrote:
    > Initial load time is kinda long.... graphics are very impressive... not as
    > dark as the pc version.. adjustable darkness is nice also... controls feel
    > very tight...button layout is good... using the back button as quicksave is
    > nice also...
    >
    > So far, so good....

    Has anyone taken this game online yet? I'd love to hear how that is

    > > Initial load time is kinda long.... graphics are very impressive... not as
    > > dark as the pc version.. adjustable darkness is nice also... controls feel
    > > very tight...button layout is good... using the back button as quicksave is
    > > nice also...
    > >
    > > So far, so good....
    > >

    > Has anyone taken this game online yet? I'd love to hear how that is

    From what I'm hearing, the Co-op is really easy, and the other modes are really
    boring. Again, this is just what I've heard from a few people...

    Personally, I think the co-op mode is going to be a blast...waiting for a lazy
    buddy of mine to rent it so I can rent it, and we can go through it...

    Bel
    --

    Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

    "Now what's your momma gonna say about this?"
    - Marcus Hill, Narc

    "BelPowerslave" <belpowerslave@ev1.net> wrote in message
    >> > Initial load time is kinda long.... graphics are very impressive... not
    >> > as
    >> > dark as the pc version.. adjustable darkness is nice also... controls
    >> > feel
    >> > very tight...button layout is good... using the back button as
    >> > quicksave is
    >> > nice also...
    >> >
    >> > So far, so good....
    >> >

    >> Has anyone taken this game online yet? I'd love to hear how that is
    >
    > From what I'm hearing, the Co-op is really easy, and the other modes are
    > really
    > boring. Again, this is just what I've heard from a few people...
    >
    > Personally, I think the co-op mode is going to be a blast...waiting for a
    > lazy
    > buddy of mine to rent it so I can rent it, and we can go through it...
    >
    > Bel

    I have read the reviews, which are great, but my friends say otherwise.
    Given the choice they all said SC:CT is the best game of the 2. I heard the
    visuals are okay, but not awesome. I have not seen it myself yet, however.

    I've played DEATHMATCHES online. Not bad, but more players would have
    helped.

    The Co-Op mode is a blast!! Haven't taked that online yet, but we've
    system-linked 2 X-Boxes and it adds a new dimension to the game.

    "AA" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:W7E4e.113$Fm5.67@trndny09...
    > mccall wrote:
    >> Initial load time is kinda long.... graphics are very impressive... not
    >> as
    >> dark as the pc version.. adjustable darkness is nice also... controls
    >> feel
    >> very tight...button layout is good... using the back button as quicksave
    >> is
    >> nice also...
    >>
    >> So far, so good....
    >>

    > Has anyone taken this game online yet? I'd love to hear how that is

    I hate that you cannot split screen coop, that really takes away from the
    game in my opinion. I really like playing with the family and buying two
    games to system link is not happening.
    Brad

    mccall wrote:

    > Initial load time is kinda long.... graphics are very impressive...
    > not as dark as the pc version.. adjustable darkness is nice also...
    > controls feel very tight...button layout is good... using the back
    > button as quicksave is nice also...
    >
    > So far, so good....

    It's not bad, but still a bit overrated (IMO). I personally still
    think "Aliens vs Predator" (FPS) on the PC was scarier. Doom3 is
    too dark (even at the highest brightness setting), which doesn't really
    make it "scary" -- it just makes it annoying in fights because you
    can't always see your enemy. If that's the "fright" factor, then too
    bad... it doesn't "do it" for me. Personally, the best "frights" I
    got was when anticipation was involved, like when the four-legged
    thing (don't know its name) is first seen and it's trying to bash in
    the door of that little office you're in. :) Now THAT'S scary,
    because you know it's coming to get ya and it's only a matter of time.
    But yeah, shooting blindly in the dark at something you can't really
    see is not my idea of scary. :)

    qwerty casually reviews "Doom 3":

    It's not bad, but still a bit overrated (IMO). I
    > personally still think "Aliens vs Predator" (FPS) on
    > the PC was scarier.

    Hear, hear. Those games had the additional benefit of a well-done film
    dynasties behind them. Still, both AvP 1 and AvP 2 are well done. It's
    unfortunate that those games were not ported to the Xbox.

    > Doom3 is too dark (even at the highest brightness
    > setting), which doesn't really make it "scary" -- it
    > just makes it annoying in fights because you can't
    > always see your enemy. If that's the "fright"
    > factor, then too bad... it doesn't "do it" for me.

    I haven't gone even half way in Doom 3, yet, but it sort of resembles
    the haunted house ride at disney word. You're on a track and stuff will
    just pop of closets to scare you. With AvP, they did a much better job
    disguising the fact that their universe was created for you to traverse.

    As a rule of thumb, I'm generally disappointed by shooters that have
    their bad guys teleport it when you hit triggers. I much prefer the
    sense that I'm in a world that's pre-populated, and there's some chance
    to how I'll encounter the nasties.

    > Personally, the best "frights" I got was when
    > anticipation was involved, like when the four-legged
    > thing (don't know its name) is first seen and it's
    > trying to bash in the door of that little office
    > you're in. :)

    I was surprised to learn that's "pinky" from the orginal Doom.

    > Now THAT'S scary, because you know it's coming to get
    > ya and it's only a matter of time. But yeah, shooting
    > blindly in the dark at something you can't really see
    > is not my idea of scary. :)

    > > Initial load time is kinda long.... graphics are very impressive...
    > > not as dark as the pc version.. adjustable darkness is nice also...
    > > controls feel very tight...button layout is good... using the back
    > > button as quicksave is nice also...
    > >
    > > So far, so good....
    >
    > It's not bad, but still a bit overrated (IMO). I personally still
    > think "Aliens vs Predator" (FPS) on the PC was scarier. Doom3 is
    > too dark (even at the highest brightness setting), which doesn't really
    > make it "scary" -- it just makes it annoying in fights because you
    > can't always see your enemy. If that's the "fright" factor, then too
    > bad... it doesn't "do it" for me. Personally, the best "frights" I
    > got was when anticipation was involved, like when the four-legged
    > thing (don't know its name) is first seen and it's trying to bash in
    > the door of that little office you're in. :) Now THAT'S scary,
    > because you know it's coming to get ya and it's only a matter of time.
    > But yeah, shooting blindly in the dark at something you can't really
    > see is not my idea of scary. :)

    Well, they built off the idea that *everyone* is afraid of the
    dark...which is a good assumption, especially when there are demons
    roaming about. Now, there are two groups when it comes to the way Doom 3
    did things: The group who hated it, and the group who didn't. Personally,
    I thought it was great...now, I will admit that I did get annoyed more
    than a few times when I had to just blindly shoot around in pitch
    dark...but I think I secretly loved it as it just scared me shitless at
    the same time. ;)

    Bel
    --

    BelPowerslave wrote:

    > they built off the idea that *everyone* is afraid of the dark

    Not everyone. ;)

    Speaking of "Pinky" and the metal door he tries to bash in...
    why wouldn't he just shatter the glass window in the first
    place? Much easier than a metal door, methinks... ;)

    qwerty wrote:

    > BelPowerslave wrote:
    >
    > > they built off the idea that *everyone* is afraid of the dark
    >
    > Not everyone. ;)
    >
    > Speaking of "Pinky" and the metal door he tries to bash in...
    > why wouldn't he just shatter the glass window in the first
    > place? Much easier than a metal door, methinks... ;)

    Well....Pinky isn't exactly the smartest demon out there...;)

    Bel

    --

    Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

    "Now what's your momma gonna say about this?"
    - Marcus Hill, Narc

Console Gaming Video Games