Firt Build - $800 or Lower - Gaming: Is this Build Compatible?

chall

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
My friend and I were doing some research trying to put together a decent computer for gaming. I want something fast, but it doesn't need to be over the line. Just needs to handle most games and achieve some office programs. Here is what we came up with, will these items be compatible and turn out a good computer?

Tower: Antec 900 Black Steel ATX

Motherboard: We haven't decided yet. Looking around the pricrange of $150 and something that will work with the Video Card and Processor we've chose.

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 HD

RAM: G. Skill RipJaws X Series 8 GB 240-Pin DDr3 SDRam DDR3 1866

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracude Grean 2 TB hard drive

CD Drive: HP HPDVD1270I Multiformat DVD writer

Wireless Network Card: INTEL

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k Sandy Bridge 3.3Ghz Turbo Boost LGA 1155 95W Quad Core Desktop

Power Supply Corsair CMPSU0600 CXV2 Builder Series 600W, 80 Plues, 1200mm Fan, Single +12 V Rail, Active PFC

So that's what I have so far, after looking through Newegg and Tiger Direct all this should run me $800. What do you all think?

chall

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Thanks for the input. My buddy was saying I could overclock it, but I don't think it matters that much. Anything will be better then what I was playing on which was like 9fps on WoW, anything has to be better then that. So everything should work together?

chall

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

What's the difference? Sorry, I'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to all this. What should I look for?

chall

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

We were talking about overclocking the computer. I understand that it allows the processor to work above its standards, but at what means would I need to make a pretty good process even better? How much of a different would it make and why would it be applicable?

Depending on the hardware I can increase performance but as much as 40% in some cases. If you want to overclock in the future then get an unlocked processor and aftermarket cooler. Then read up on the subject, the more knowledge the better.