Looking for some advice

simplestudent

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Hello Tom's Hardware Community,

I'm still a newbie when it comes to the specs and compatitiblity of devices. I'm currently in the market for building a new system. My budget is roughly around $1,500. I will be using this system for some gaming such as Diablo 3 and MMOs. I'm wishing to make this a dual monitor set up simply because I have the screens.

I'm looking to use this as my primary screen.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001405

and this as my secondary
http://shopping.yahoo.com/65085543-samsung-ln26a450c1dxza-television/

both of which I plan on putting on this once it is in stock again.
http://www.tykesupply.com/Products-Dual_Monitor_Stand_Free_Standing_Curved_Arm.html

These are the items I have chosen so far. Please keep in mind nothing is set in stone and any suggestions I would greatly appreciate.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/5hPW

For a processor I am looking at the Amd fx-6200 or the AMD fx-8150.

Could you help me fill in the blanks? Thanks again for any suggestions or comments you may have.

g-unit1111

Titan
If you can go Intel I highly recommend going Intel over any AMD build right now. I'm posting from my phone so I can't post links until I get back to my laptop but the FX-8150 is beaten by even the lowest end Pentium G620 - if you go with an i5-2500K and a GTX 680 or Radeon 7970 on a $1500 budget it will be an unbelievably killer system.

Here's a build I typically recommend (sans links :lol: ) :

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R
PSU: Seasonic X750 Gold
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3H
CPU: 3.30 GHZ Intel Core i5-2500K
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8GB 1600 MHZ 1.5V
SSD: 128 GB Crucial M4
HD: Samsung Ecogreen F4 2TB
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 680

Total: $1400 (approx)

^If you can provide evidence for that G620 claim, I'll be shocked. The 8150 is a plenty decent CPU; the 2500K's just better and cheaper.
That looks like a nice build. OP, the case should go almost entirely by your stylistic preference. Also, get a smaller HDD if you don't think you need the space, as they're still stupidly expensive.

kcsmacker

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

I +1 this. Intel anyday if your purely gaming. You can change the case to something your eally like but other then that This build is sound.

g-unit1111

Titan

Here you go:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120.html

Specifically look at page 3 and 4 where they test said CPUs on Skyrim and BF3.

simplestudent

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Thank you for the quick responses and helpful info. I'm at the mercy of the info provided by others here. From what I have seen many people are leaning towards intel for their choice in cpu and as the amd took a beating. My original plan was to wait for the new amd chip the piledriver to release soon. However, I thought that expected release date was pushed back. The defense I'm hearing for the Amd processor is that with their architecture that in the future with Win 8 the power of their processors will excel and surpass intel. Thoughts? Also I was considering the new gtx 680 card when I watched it sell out before my eyes. I guess I will just have to wait for more. I'm guessing this will power the 2 monitors I listed without any issues. Again thanks for the advice.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah the new cards will go quickly. Newegg will get a steady supply in about a couple of weeks.

I'm not banking on Windows 8 to create a speed boost for FX - it's been pretty much FUBAR from day one, and I can't believe that the next version of Windows will fix it's problems. Stick with Intel - you'll be glad you did.

simplestudent

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Thank you again for your advice. I believe I'm jumping on board with the intel i5 2500k cpu. From what I have seen it appears that this chip would be fairly easy to overclock to 4.4 keeping it just on air. Is it safe to assume this? I've also noticed that it seems this chip is recommend more then the i7. Is this because of cost or simply because the i5 chip is so comparable there isn't a point in the extra money and heat. i believe I will be waiting for the GTX 680 to come back into stock and look to pick that up with the original case I submitted in the beginning. The rest of the items you chose I will just look over briefly and see if I have any questions. However, like i've mentioned in the beginning i'm at the mercy of the knowledge Tom's Hardware members have.

g-unit1111

Titan

I'm only on board because there's a physical product now - before it was all hype and speculation - now that there's numbers out and the 680 is solid, I'll recommend it. I'd like to think that there will be more Keppler cards - I'd like to see what the 660 and 670 bring.

G-Unt I was wondering if I could get come links to the exact items you recommended so I know for sure which products you were suggesting. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah here you go:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - $99.99
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - $104.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3H - $159.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - $219.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB 1333MHz 1.5V - $42.99
SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 - $164.99
HD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST 7200 RPM - $119.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 - $459.99 - *OR* - EVGA Geforce GTX 680 - $499.99

Total: $1,410.89 (w/7950) - $1,440.89 (w/680)

I don't recommend peripherals because it's entirely personal preference but if you want to get whatever you want, I won't stop you.

simplestudent

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Hey guys. I think i've pretty much have my parts picked out. I'm going with G-Units linked suggestions with the exception of the dvd drive I wanted a blue ray reader. In addition to that I'm looking for a nice modular power supply. Since the case I'm purchasing has a window in the side I would like the cleaner look with the nicer airflow. Also how difficult is it to overclock the i5 2500k? Thanks for any advice in advance.

g-unit1111

Titan

That's a myth - having less cables in your system does not mean a cleaner look - it's all in how you route your cables that will determine that. The Corsair Carbide has some of the best cable management systems in the business and will allow you to achieve that clean look you want.

Hey guys. I think i've pretty much have my parts picked out. I'm going with G-Units linked suggestions with the exception of the dvd drive I wanted a blue ray reader. In addition to that I'm looking for a nice modular power supply. Since the case I'm purchasing has a window in the side I would like the cleaner look with the nicer airflow. Also how difficult is it to overclock the i5 2500k? Thanks for any advice in advance.

Again - I usually don't recommend modular PSUs because it's a myth that having fewer cables in a system does not mean a cleaner look. I've used both modular and non modular PSUs and I've had better luck with the non modular PSUs.

As far as case goes as long as you're not purchasing a junk brand (Apevia, Raidmax, Sentey, Xion, Xclio, etc) you should be fine.