Status
Not open for further replies.

UtterButter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I am wondering if a 120hz monitor is a huge improvement over the 60? i have a great samsung LED monitor @ 60hz. 1920x1080 around 55-70FPS on my GTX280 SC. I play BF3 on Ultra and it looks great. Will the 120 reduce tear and such? or is that a graphics issue? Just trying to look for my next upgrade. i am not looking for 3dvision.

Solution

People will throw around the fps #, that it supposedly a number in which is the peak of what we can see without interruption or distraction. Personally I can easily notice the difference in 60 and 100fps, I'm not saying it's substantial, but it is prominent.

Let me ask you a question, do you remember CRTs and how you could adjust the hertz fairly high? Do you ever remember setting your hertz range...

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Your eyes can't see faster than 60 Hz so, the short answer is no. You can enable vsync so that your rendered frames per second match up with the monitor's refresh rate to reduce tearing. 120 Hz is useful for 3D because then you essentially have two images displaying at 60 Hz each

UtterButter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Ok, what about moving textures on the screen? On a 60 hz monitor they blur, game spin, fast ground graphics, etc. Will it still blur on a 120? I am compairing this to the TV's I saw at best buy, They had 3 TV 60/120/240 and had scrolling txt, action and so forth, the 60 blurs, just like my monitor and TV, the 120 blurs a lot less. Will this be true on a 120 monitor?

Definately, the blur will be much less noticeable on a 120Hz LED LCD.

Although some people say you can't really see much more than 60Hz, i've definately seen a difference between 120Hz screens and 60Hz, the 120 being much "smoother/liquid".

Although if your not getting more than 60FPS it might not give that much less blur.

Now if you were getting over 100FPS - it might be worth it. But it all depends on your taste.

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
That monitor has a 2ms response time which is very good.

If you are able to notice the difference on the TVs you would probably notice the difference in a monitor, but you will have to have the hardware to push that many frames. (upwards of 100 fps).

It's also worth noting that you will need to use Dual Link DVI as opposed to single link DVI to carry the 120 Hz signal

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008

People will throw around the fps #, that it supposedly a number in which is the peak of what we can see without interruption or distraction. Personally I can easily notice the difference in 60 and 100fps, I'm not saying it's substantial, but it is prominent.

Let me ask you a question, do you remember CRTs and how you could adjust the hertz fairly high? Do you ever remember setting your hertz range 100hz or higher and notice a big difference in smoothness? Well, if you did then 120hz is definitely for you.

I've heard multiple people talking about 120hz and it wasn't until I reflected back on CRT and how much smoother they were overall I bought into it and purchased one.

All I can say is....I'll never look back at those 60hz panels =). To me, it's the biggest upgrade you can get at the moment, everything just plays so much better IMO.

Also, I forgot to mention but a lot of TVs aren't true 120hz and 240hz, they implement their own technologies to heighten their frame count and to me, it looks unnatural, more of like a speedup than anything. And when you see 120hz on a monitor, there is no blue....well very very little, but essentially it is removed.

Solution

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Everything is a lot more smoother, providing you have the frame rate to support the monitor, for example. Running Source games where modern graphics cards can achieve a constant 300FPS. You would definitely notice a difference on a 120 Hz monitor compared to a 60Hz monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.