Sign in with
Your question

New build gigabyte mobo continous beeps (Tried everything)

Last response: in Systems
March 23, 2012 1:07:39 AM

Got a new build and once I put it together the only thing that happens is everything starts up(fans,sounds,lights,hd) but all I get is a continuing beeping sound. First thought was RAM incompatibility I had Corsair XMS3 1600 now I got Corsair XMS3 1333 since the board specs say it only supports 1333. That did not fix it.

Here are the details:
Brand new system haven't got it to boot yet. I get nothing visibly just the fans, lights and sounds like the HD comes on. It will beep for around 15 seconds then shut down and start itself back up. Pretty much everything sounds like it is coming on correctly just get the beeps and no visual.

The specs:
GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2PV(R2.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100
GIGABYTE GV-R775OC-1GI Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
RAIDMAX Blade ATX-298WBP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

What I've tried:
Tried the new RAM. Also have swapped spots and tried just one.
Removing the graphics card, hd, dvd and trying to boot
Resetting CMOS
Checking connections over and over(cpu fan, front end stuff all in correctly also removed some of the extra stuff like usb and audio)
Checked the CPU seating and redid that it was all correct. The pins all looked good as far as I can tell but I'm no expert.
No extra screws running around and standoffs installed.

Let me know if there is any other information I missed. I really have no clue what could be going on after checking all this stuff besides the motherboard being bad or it doesn't like the RAM. From what I could tell from research the beeping sounds meant some sort of RAM error. Anyone got some ideas of what else I could try or might know the cause?
Thanks,
Shaun
March 23, 2012 1:45:34 PM

A continuous beep could also indicate a bad PSU or a short. Try booting without any ram installed and see if the beep changes. Unfortunately even brand new parts sometimes arrive DOA. More often it seems with computer related parts. :( 
m
l
Related resources
March 23, 2012 7:53:57 PM

AntiZig said:
Did you breadboard before putting everything into the case? well actually seems like you didn't.

anyway, it's possible that your mobo is DOA, but before that run through this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

I went through the list before I posted(awesome list). I did not test out the PSU terminals, or do the breadboard. I will try removing the RAM tonight though I anticipate the continuous beeping it seems that means RAM issues or missing. See if that changes anything and could try testing the PSU.

After that maybe try the breadboard thing. I'll have to find some sort of surface to use.
m
l
March 23, 2012 7:55:49 PM

Also if the PSU test's out and nothing changes with the RAM being taken out and breadboarding does not help. Is that a pretty good indicator of a mobo issue and just get it replaced?
m
l
March 23, 2012 10:48:38 PM

okerix said:
Also if the PSU test's out and nothing changes with the RAM being taken out and breadboarding does not help. Is that a pretty good indicator of a mobo issue and just get it replaced?

That would probably be your best bet (while you still can). People on these boards have RMA'd motherboards for less. :) 
m
l
March 24, 2012 1:33:12 AM

Chaz21 said:
That would probably be your best bet (while you still can). People on these boards have RMA'd motherboards for less. :) 

Well nothing else worked so I am sending it back to get a replacement. Thanks everyone for the help. "crossing my fingers" the next one works. This might be a noob question but my CPU came with the heatsink and everything including the thermal paste on it. Do I need to get new paste and redo it? I'm keeping it covered and clean until the new board comes.
m
l
March 24, 2012 4:57:20 AM

okerix said:
Well nothing else worked so I am sending it back to get a replacement. Thanks everyone for the help. "crossing my fingers" the next one works. This might be a noob question but my CPU came with the heatsink and everything including the thermal paste on it. Do I need to get new paste and redo it? I'm keeping it covered and clean until the new board comes.

Unfortunately you do need new thermal paste. This is the brand most recommended:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Good luck with your new board. :) 
m
l
March 24, 2012 6:07:17 AM

I hate to tell you this, but the Raidmax PSU's that come with the case are one step above junk.

I mean $60 is a decent price for a good 500 watt PSU by itself.

And how did you test the power supply?
m
l
March 24, 2012 7:54:08 PM

jsc said:
I hate to tell you this, but the Raidmax PSU's that come with the case are one step above junk.

I mean $60 is a decent price for a good 500 watt PSU by itself.

And how did you test the power supply?

Swapped the power supply out today and it was a no go has to be the mobo now.
m
l
March 31, 2012 9:53:18 PM

Well newegg says the mobo was damaged and will not be covering it due to bent pins. I'm pretty peeved considering it is a 1155 socket and the cpu fits one way(no way to screw that up) and the pins sure as hell didn't look bent to me. We shall see what the board looks like upon return to me. This is the most trouble I've ever had with a build. Any suggestions or am I screwed and will just have to buy another? If it was a bent pin it must be really small and not affecting many pins but we will see. Never attempted to bend those back.

Edit..
Newegg redeemed themselves and is replacing the mobo.(It came back with badly bent pins which is not the way I sent it). Also paying for shipping and next day air on the new one. I'll update once I install the new mobo!
m
l
April 18, 2012 4:56:05 AM

Got a new mobo and it works great now. Thanks everyone for the help.
m
l
!