Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ivy Bridge vs Sandy Bridge

Last response: in CPUs
July 6, 2012 6:48:44 PM

Whats the difference between Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge?
and
Is an i7 Sandy Bridge or i5 Ivy Bridge better both at 3.4GHz.

I'm building a gaming rig and would like to know.
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 7:05:02 PM

An Ivy Bridge chip will be faster than a Sandy Bridge chip running at the same speed.

The difference between the i5 and the i7 is Hyper Threading. An i5 has four cores and a i7 has four cores and eight logical cores (windows will see 8 cores).

Buy the newest technology (i.e. Ivy Bridge).
Score
July 6, 2012 7:06:04 PM

Ivy Bridge is a generation ahead of Sandy Bridge. It has a couple extra features, but the performance is not noticeably higher for gaming. Also for gaming, you want to go with the i5. What kinds of games do you play and what graphics settings are you looking for? We can recommend the cheapest processor that will fit all your needs.
Score
Related resources
July 7, 2012 4:43:12 AM

I play games from Minecraft to BF3 and Arma
Score
a c 471 à CPUs
July 7, 2012 4:47:56 AM

Ivy Bridge CPUs are about 5% more powerful than Sandy Bridge CPUs at the same clock speed.

i7 CPUs have Hyper Threading which games do not use. Benchmarks have shown that HT actually reduces game performance by 1% or 2% on average, so if you do not use any programs that can take advantage of HT, then buying a Core i7 CPU is not worth it.

Ivy Bridge CPUs do not overclock as well as Sandy Bridge CPUs. IB CPUs generally maxes out at 4.5GHz while Sandy Bridge can go as little further at about 4.8GHz to 5.0GHz. It varies from CPU to CPU and very good cooling is required.

IB CPUs generally consume about 15w - 20w less less power than SB CPUs under load.

IB CPUs have either the Intel HD 2500 / HD 4000 graphic core vs. the Intel HD 2000 / HD 3000 graphic core. For a gaming rig the integrate graphic core doesn't make much difference.
Score
a c 116 à CPUs
July 7, 2012 4:56:13 AM

jaguarskx said:
Ivy Bridge CPUs do not overclock as well as Sandy Bridge CPUs.

But once you account for IB's better IPC, they end up about even performance-wise anyway.
Score
a c 471 à CPUs
July 7, 2012 5:15:38 AM

InvalidError said:
But once you account for IB's better IPC, they end up about even performance-wise anyway.

Which I indicated in the 1st sentence of my post.
Score
a c 116 à CPUs
July 7, 2012 5:59:14 AM

jaguarskx said:
Which I indicated in the 1st sentence of my post.

Not quite. You said IB was 5% faster clock-for-clock, not that this evened out SB's higher overclock.

Although what you said implied what I said, too many people only look at clock rates so I think it is important to state it explicitly.
Score
a c 471 à CPUs
July 7, 2012 7:41:13 PM

I'm not going to spoon feed every single bit of information to every single person.

People should be intelligent enough to do simple math to figure out what the equivalent clock speed of a IB CPU is compared to a SB CPU given the information I provided.
Score
August 8, 2012 7:21:21 PM

jaguarskx said:
I'm not going to spoon feed every single bit of information to every single person....

Well so then be grateful that InvalidError went out of his/her way to elaborate on a matter that some might find beneficial and you're not willing to. You didn't want to explain it, so someone else did and now you feel justified in complaining about that... I don't understand that perspective.
Score
a c 471 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 11:23:06 PM

scardali said:
Well so then be grateful that InvalidError went out of his/her way to elaborate on a matter that some might find beneficial and you're not willing to. You didn't want to explain it, so someone else did and now you feel justified in complaining about that... I don't understand that perspective.

Unfortunately, I have dealt with a lot of people who simply wants to be spoon feed with information both at work and apparently here in this forum. It seems people are too lazy draw out the simple conclusion based on the information provided. At least I hope it's people being too lazy to think for themselves rather than people too stupid to think for themselves.

Last time I've checked doing simple multiplication does not kill.
Score
!