Sign in with
Your question

Video Card fan spins but no display?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2012 1:48:06 PM

Hi there! i recently purchased a XFX Radeon 6850 XXX Edition card to replace my old Nvidia 9600Gt however, when i switch the computer on it has no display. everything powers up including the video card but just seems to be no display. I have reseated the card & checked all connections are in and not loose but still no display!

I hooked it up to my tv just incase my monitor was playing up but nothing changed, so i put my 9600gt back in and everything started working perfect again (apart from one of my fans is now dead) so i'm thinking it's the power supply but wanted to post here just for a second opinion before i purchase a new one!

What do you guys think?

Specs:

Gigabyte GA-870A-US3L
Amd Phenom X4 B55 3.3 Ghz (unlocked from a tri core)
XFX Radeon 6850 XXX Edition/ PNY Nvidia Geforce 9600Gt Overclocked Edition
2 x 2GB XMS3 Corsair DDR3
X-Power 500 Watt 36 Amps PSU
200Gb Seagate 7200 RPM HDD
LG Dvd Drive
3 Fans (was 4..:( )

Thanks in advance :) 
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 1:57:42 PM

Also make sure to uninstall the Nvidia drivers properly and then install the AMD drivers.
Related resources
January 17, 2012 1:58:16 PM

could just be a dead GPU, exact same thing happened to mine when it died a couple of weeks ago, a gtx 560ti. It powered up and the fan booted to 100% on boot, but despite that it was fried.

However it could also be the PSU, hmmmm.
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 2:00:53 PM

A good 400w can run a 6850.
January 17, 2012 2:02:41 PM

@sincreator

I made sure to uninstall the nvidia drivers
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 2:04:57 PM

HappyPanda said:
Thanks for the quick response, i was thinking the same thing. i was thinking about going for this PSU:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DJJPV8/ref=s9_si...

What do you think?

I would probally stay away from OCZ PSU's. I've read alot of reviews saying they are not that great, unless things really changed in the last little while. Try for a Corsair/Antec/Seasonic/Thermaltake toughpower (stay away from the Thermaltake TR2 series)

EDIT: I just looked at 3 or 4 reviews of that PSU you linked, and it actually is one of the first midrange/budget PSU's from OCZ that has good reviews that i've seen. It might be fine. I usually recommend the other brands I mentioned though. I myself have a 750w Thermaltake Toughpower from 2006 that is still going strong even after running crossfire 3870's and decent overclocks on all of my processors over the years. Now I have a X6 PHII OC'd to 4.2ghz and a 5870 that I can also OC a nice amount at the same time. Luckily my particular PSU was actually manufactured by Seasonic. Alot of Corsair and Antec are made by them as well. The only downside I saw to the PSU you linked was a 3 year warranty instead of the usual 5 year warranties on the higher end PSU's.
January 17, 2012 2:20:20 PM

yes, a good 400W PSU can probably run a 6850. but if it fails it can cause issues with other components as well.... no need to take a risk and on a 400w.

I have a OCZ Fatal1ty 600W running my PC, works perfect since 2009... I like my OCZ, but some other makers are considered "more reliable". Reviews can help...

Also, it wouldn't be a driver issue because you can't even boot to windows for it to load the drivers.... lol...

bigger PSU... (or like mkristian said "DOA GPU") - would be easier to RMA the card before buying a new PSU... just a thought.
January 17, 2012 2:25:38 PM

thanks for the replys! @ Jdenova i was thinking of just ordering a PSU since it'll be here by friday then seeing if anything changes and if not RMA the card then?

@sincreator thanks for the suggestions
January 17, 2012 2:30:38 PM

yea, sounds like a plan.... btw, did you connect the power cable directly to the GPU?
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 2:34:01 PM

sincreator said:
I would probally stay away from OCZ PSU's. I've read alot of reviews saying they are not that great, unless things really changed in the last little while. Try for a Corsair/Antec/Seasonic/Thermaltake toughpower (stay away from the Thermaltake TR2 series)

EDIT: I just looked at 3 or 4 reviews of that PSU you linked, and it actually is one of the first midrange/budget PSU's from OCZ that has good reviews that i've seen. It might be fine. I usually recommend the other brands I mentioned though. I myself have a 750w Thermaltake Toughpower from 2006 that is still going strong even after running crossfire 3870's and decent overclocks on all of my processors over the years. Now I have a X6 PHII OC'd to 4.2ghz and a 5870 that I can also OC a nice amount at the same time. Luckily my particular PSU was actually manufactured by Seasonic. Alot of Corsair and Antec are made by them as well. The only downside I saw to the PSU you linked was a 3 year warranty instaed of the usual 5 year warranties on the higher end PSU's.

OCZ is pretty nice. Tier 3/Tier 2
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 2:38:40 PM

somehow I think the 9600gt sucks up more power than the 6850. can you put the new video card in another computer, or a friends computer ?

does the board have onboard video ? if so, disable it.
January 17, 2012 2:47:56 PM

jdenova007 said:
yea, sounds like a plan.... btw, did you connect the power cable directly to the GPU?

Yes, though my PSU is quite old and doesn't come with a 6 pin PCI-E connector so i've had to molex chain most of my things in the case up, it's real messy.
January 17, 2012 2:49:27 PM

swifty_morgan said:
somehow I think the 9600gt sucks up more power than the 6850. can you put the new video card in another computer, or a friends computer ?

does the board have onboard video ? if so, disable it.

No onboard graphics & according to HWcompare the 6850 takes up more however, both editions are overclocked & i believe the minimum PSU for a 9600 is 400? where as the 6850 is 500..could be wrong though
January 17, 2012 2:53:06 PM

If the video card has more than one additional power connector on it, both need to be filled.

Some cards also need both additional connectors to attach to the same set of wires back to the PSU (I assume that either the phase or the quality of the grounding is important, but both are guesses).
January 17, 2012 3:02:21 PM

anneoneamouse said:
If the video card has more than one additional power connector on it, both need to be filled.

Some cards also need both additional connectors to attach to the same set of wires back to the PSU (I assume that either the phase or the quality of the grounding is important, but both are guesses).

This card only has one power connector which is 6 pin, my PSU excluding the 24 pin and 4 pin connectors only has one set of wires which i then have to molex chain everything up to reach all my components..it really is a bad set up.
January 17, 2012 3:05:52 PM

Can you try it without connecting you HD's or CD drive? Probably won't make a difference because they take up so little power, but worth a shot.
January 17, 2012 3:08:01 PM

Sounds like the GPU might be DOA, but before I went there I would replace the X-Power with something a bit more reputable like Antec or Corsair, and make sure that both the power cables for the GPU are plugged in. If they are you either don't have enough back bone in that discount PSU you have, or the GPU is DOA.
January 17, 2012 3:40:20 PM

jdenova007 said:
Can you try it without connecting you HD's or CD drive? Probably won't make a difference because they take up so little power, but worth a shot.

Just done this, disconnected my fans just incase but still no display. you would think with the card being at idle it would draw less power than the 9600gt in full load..just a thought :X
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 3:41:12 PM

ON power requirements: Unless planning on sli/xfire anything over 600Ws is overkill.
Not quite the same as I have the Intel 2500K vs Your Amd CPU; but
I5-2500k OCed 4.2 Gihz, ATI 6870, 16 gigs ram, 2 128 gig SSD,s i HDD, i Blu-ray write.
350 Watts when running furmark. That's at the wall so real power is closer to 300 Watts.
Bottom Line go for Lower power at Higher quality. Note, I think the corsair Cs models are not the Higher end. While the 450 Watts (High quality) is my min recommendation, 500->550 would be a good choice. 650->750 only if you plan on Xfire a 2nd 6850

Added:
"attach to the same set of wires back to the PSU " Reason is that the GPU pci-e pwr connectors may have the positives tied together and if they are, you do not want to short two seperate +12V rails to one-another.
January 17, 2012 3:53:23 PM

Perhaps the single 4 pin molex might not provide enough power?

See here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=51740.0

I'm just copying and pasting...

4 pin molex = 60W, PCI-E = 75W.

Do you know what your graphics card's requirement is through that power connector?

Hope this helps,

AoN

P.S. I saw the same behaviour with my 6950, when I didn't connect both power connectors up to the card (fan spins, no video).
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 3:58:40 PM

i look for the amperage when I buy cards. watts can be misleading.

can you or did you try the card in another computer or a friends computer ?
January 17, 2012 3:59:40 PM

anneoneamouse said:
Perhaps the single 4 pin molex might not provide enough power?

See here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=51740.0

I'm just copying and pasting...

4 pin molex = 60W, PCI-E = 75W.

Do you know what your graphics card's requirement is through that power connector?

Hope this helps,

AoN

P.S. I saw the same behaviour with my 6950, when I didn't connect both power connectors up to the card (fan spins, no video).

I shall double check again, but i'm pretty sure both of the molexs that are attached to the PCI-E 6 pin connector are connected, I shall check again soon and get back to you though. thanks :) 
January 17, 2012 4:02:59 PM

swifty_morgan said:
i look for the amperage when I buy cards. watts can be misleading.

can you or did you try the card in another computer or a friends computer ?

Not yet, unfortunately i'm not able to try this anytime soon :( 
!