Sign in with
Your question

Need a good budget card. Plz help.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2012 1:50:16 PM

First off I am new to upgrading and the community here.

2nd. I bought a card previously, that I thought was a good card but it wasn't (Radeon HD 5450 2 gig)

System Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 2.93/2.94 GHz
8 Gigs of RAM
500 Watt P.S.
I'm using my 37 inch flatscreen 1080p Vizio as a monitor.
HAD a Radeon HD5450 graphics card.

Ran everything fine but it couldn't handle SWTOR.

So my friend gave me his old Nvidia GTX 260 and it seems to be much better.

However, it doesn't have HDMI and it's almost near impossible to find a good res. to fit the screen and without being blurry or stretched

I was looking more towards the Nvidia GTX 460 as a budget card for now. They did a review in the November section of last year and said it was around $160 and that it was a 256 bit.

I know nothing about graphics cards. ALL the GTX 460s that I've seen in that price range are only 192 bit except for this
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

I've found some EVGA ones for $20 or so cheaper and I hear they are a good brand. But even still, those are only 192 bit.

Can someone please point me in the right direction here? I prefer Nvidia and is it going to matter if I get a 460 192 bit vs. a 256 bit? What's the difference?

Also I'm looking at the $160 -180 price range

Thanks

More about : good budget card plz

Related resources
January 17, 2012 2:18:37 PM

If your willing to spend an extra $20, you'd get a really nice card and it would last longer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, AMD cards may seem faster and cheaper, but from my experience the drivers are terrible when new games come out and take weeks get patches on the drivers. the extra cash you pay for nvidia cards, just think of that going into the drivers cause they are much better. Just watch out since your cpu is getting old and the faster graphics cards you get, the faster the cpu needs to be the keep up with the system. So just keep in mind that down the road you should look at getting a new motherboard and cpu, but you can keep the graphics card for use in that system too.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 2:25:15 PM

I think you will have a hard time finding a graphics card for less than 200 bucks that will give you a noticable lift over the GTX260.

The resolution is more a function of the monitor or TV then it is the graphics card, or interface (DVI-HDMI) What is the exact model of your TV or Monitor.

If your using the VGA connection(or DVI-VGA adapter) you should be able to set the resoluton at 1920x1080 then in advanced set the refresh to 60hz.

Then in the TV menu go to options and auto adjust. If your using VGA you have to auto adjust the TV to get the picture correct. Also make sure the VGA wire you are using has all 15 pins. If its missing one pin then it is an old wire and the TV will not auto adjust.

If you need HDMI you can use something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVI-Male-HDMI-Female-M-F-Adapte...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 2:29:32 PM

On a side note I replaced a dead 9800gt with a AMD HD6870 last week for my budy. We got it on sale for $145. That card is amazing. I dont see how you can ever go wrong with one of those.
m
l
January 17, 2012 2:35:55 PM

bucknutty said:
I think you will have a hard time finding a graphics card for less than 200 bucks that will give you a noticable lift over the GTX260.

The resolution is more a function of the monitor or TV then it is the graphics card, or interface (DVI-HDMI) What is the exact model of your TV or Monitor.

If your using the VGA connection(or DVI-VGA adapter) you should be able to set the resoluton at 1920x1080 then in advanced set the refresh to 60hz.

Then in the TV menu go to options and auto adjust. If your using VGA you have to auto adjust the TV to get the picture correct. Also make sure the VGA wire you are using has all 15 pins. If its missing one pin then it is an old wire and the TV will not auto adjust.

If you need HDMI you can use something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVI-Male-HDMI-Female-M-F-Adapte...

Thanks I will try this first and see how this works.

I've had the TV for a couple years. Not sure where the paperwork is so not sure how to find model number without pulling it out and getting behind it.

But will definately try the auto adjust option. My cousin is an IT guy and he helped me set the picture up but we only messed with the options for the card and not the tv

/facepalm
m
l
!