35w Processor compatible with 45w Processor?

pavilion99

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Probably a stupid question, but I like to keep my hopes up. I have an HP Pavilion dv6z-6b00 CTO Quad Edition, and I would like to upgrade the processor from a semi-good processor to a more than semi-good processor. I currently have an AMD A6-3400M with Radeon HD 6520G graphics, and I would like to replace it with an AMD A8-3530MX with Radeon HD 6620G graphics. However, although I don't really trust Wikipedia, it says in this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_A_microprocessors#A8_Series_2
that my processor is a 35 watt processor, and that the processor that I am looking for is a 45 watt processor. But, it also says that my current processor (A6-3400M) can only handle DDR3-1600 (PC3-12600) RAM, but I am in fact using PC3-12600 RAM that came with my computer, and it seems to work fine. Any answers?

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
As long as the type of RAM you have is correct, it should be fine. However if your RAM's speed is not supported, it will get downclocked.

For example, if your processor supports up to DDR3-1333 RAM, and you have DDR3-1600 RAM, it will still work fine in your computer, but it will be tuned down to the performance of DDR3-1333.

Xenturion

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
While it is physically possible to upgrade the CPU in your laptop, it is an extremely rare occurrence. This is mostly because A) Laptops aren't all that fun to take apart and B) Often times the cost of the upgrade could be better spent towards a new system. I wouldn't worry about the RAM speeds.

I would recommend you look into overclocking your APU. I have the exact same APU in my laptop (albeit I've got a 6650M Discrete card, too). I was able to bring the default voltage down while bringing the clock speeds up. My laptop runs stable at 2Ghz@1.0V vs. the 1.4Ghz@1.1V default. Getting that clock rate up is really important. Clock speed is a lot more important than core count in modern games. 1.4Ghz is definitely a bottleneck.

dreamslides

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
I upgraded from the A4-3400M to an A8-3500M and it was fine, the only issue was the temperatures on full load easily shot up beyond 99C, so I had to underclock the p-states using K10stat, surprisingly all p-states except the B0 use the same voltage :-? 0.9125 after 24 hours prime95, 12 hours IntelBurnTest, bla bla of testing it has no errors of any kind. Anything lower has errors once every 8 hours or so.......

But let me say I upgraded for gaming, you can buy one on HP's site for a little more and get a fantastic graphics card they kill dell in laptops.

Anyways it wasn't easy to do, but after I opened the laptop it was pretty simple to understand their construction, I even upgraded the internal wifi antennas but I learned they are very good anyways and the wifi adapter itself is the real thing you should upgrade, try an RTL8192SE get it from ebay I have 2

Oh, and sadly I had to take the entire laptop apart, I mean all of it, the LCD just unplugs from the motherboard easily enough so you can leave it in the case, but yea, TAKE IT ALL APART. I got it done in 1 hour or so.......

A trick I learned, the heatsinks aren't like those of a desktop, spread the thermal paste on the heatsink first and make sure you can't see through to the copper, then place it over the APU, otherwise I got temps like 4C higher. I took this NV5503U apart maybe 10 times to upgrade the antenna's, reapply thermal paste, you know just experimenting how it was put together.

TRENDING THREADS