Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2012 2:41:40 PM

Hi guys,
I wasn't able to find a good answer online so I thought I would ask you guys.

There seems to be alot of discussion over what my psu can handle. Its the stock 220w from hp. Otherwise the computer has:
2nd gen i5 quad core with hyperthreading
6GB ram
23" and 25" screen (HDMI / Serial)
integrated graphics (currently)
windows 7 64

What I'm wondering is what is the best graphics card under 150 dollars that I can fit into my computer without replacing the gpu or the best combo of gpu and psu under 165ish that I can fit into my computer?

Beware this is a slimline so its pretty small and from what I understand the 220w psu is a strange shape.
Thanks!

More about : slimline s5780t

a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 3:47:47 PM

Hi there! Welcome to the forums.

Well, you've asked a tricky question. Here's the thing. Slimline computers like the one you have generally don't conform to standard sizing for things like power supplies and graphics cards. They are meant to power what's under the hood and nothing more.

Additional hurdles include finding a GPU that can fit (needs a low profile bracket) and on top of that, finding one that can be powered off only 220w. You'd need something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but a 6670 really needs a MINIMUM 300w PSU to run safely, so you've got that hurdle. That means you'd need something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... however, I have no idea if that's the right size for your case. Just a guess.

Sorry for not being able to help much, it's the best I could do.

Cheers!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 4:25:05 PM

The 6670 would be a good fit for that system. I do not think you need to upgrade the PSU. Anything bigger that requires a PCI-e connector you might want to think about a new PSU. ( I would not get a new PSU though).

A lot of the PSU recomendations are very very high. That 6670 only has a 60 watt max draw. Why do they recomend a 300 watt PSU when the avereage core 2, i3, i5 complete computer only pulls around 100watts? That would be a max full system draw of around 160.

For example I have a slim HPdc7700 as a HTPC. It has a 200 watt PSU. the chip is a core 2 duo 2.13. With every stress test I could think of I could not get it to pull more than 120 watts from the wall, using a Kill-A-watt. So I dropped in a sparkle low pro 9800gt. That card is factory underclocked so it is rated at 90 watts. At full load that computer only pulls about 160-180 watts from the wall. Its been running great almost 24 7 playing games and streaming netflix now for 2 years.

I wanted to see if the power draw from the wall was low because the PSU was starving the computer, so I used my big 750 watt PSU to test. It still only pulled around 180watt at max load. I actually had it running folding@home on both cpu cores and the gpu for a full day and it was still only pulling 175ish.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 7:08:52 PM

bucknutty said:
The 6670 would be a good fit for that system. I do not think you need to upgrade the PSU. Anything bigger that requires a PCI-e connector you might want to think about a new PSU. ( I would not get a new PSU though).

A lot of the PSU recomendations are very very high. That 6670 only has a 60 watt max draw. Why do they recomend a 300 watt PSU when the avereage core 2, i3, i5 complete computer only pulls around 100watts? That would be a max full system draw of around 160.

while it is POSSIBLE to run a card on such a low wattage PSU, it's not necessarily safe. Pulling that much power (90%) 24/7 is not ideal. It's possible to do but not ideal.

Here's a calculator that lets you figure out what you need. http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine It gives you a bit of headroom too. Which means the 300w PSU I suggested should be sufficient, if it does indeed fit.

Your call OP.
m
l
January 17, 2012 9:50:56 PM

If I overdraw the psu and blow it, would it hurt anything else in my computer or would it just pop and shutdown?

The psu recommended looks right just from eyeballing, I'll check exact dimensions and other stuff later but looks very promising!.

Would the 6670 recommended play most brand new games? I've looked at benchmarks and ~20 fps in crysis 2 seems very reasonable. Probably the best I can expect in low profile?

I also saw there were several different brands of 6770's, whats the difference between them? Quality?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:03:24 AM

If the PSU goes boom, it might just knock out the PSU. However there's a chance (not a big one but definitely there) that it will take everything else with it. I've heard countless stories of people straining the PSU only to have it break, taking a GPU or CPU with it. Either way, sparks flying inside a computer is never good.

The 6670 is the best card that doesn't require a PCI-E 6pin connector. Probably also the best card that can be bought in low profile form factor. It should match your CPU (i5-2400 I'm guessing?) well.

Eh, it's basically just design and warranty variance. You want a fairly specific product so I'd take whatever it is. The Sapphire I linked is an excellent brand. Good customer service & support.

Final note. Be sure to crack open the case and take a few measurements, while making sure you have room for the card & PSU. I'd hate for you to order something just to learn it doesn't fit!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:53:45 AM

You never know what might happen if something burns out. The PSU could burn out and take everything with it. I think this is extremely rare, but it could happen.

As far as manufacturer goes they are all basicly the same. I like to go by who has the best warranty. I also look for reveiws on the cooling solution. In my mind the bigger and heavy the cooler the better.
m
l
January 18, 2012 4:13:31 AM

Ok thanks for all the replies!

I've decided I'm going to go with the 6670 after measurements and I'm going to try it with the stock unit but have a watt meter plugged in to watch it. If it goes over 200 I'll throw down the extra 50 for a new 300 watt psu. Still undecided if I'll need a new psu but figured I should watch it.

Out of curiosity how does the 6670 compare with the GeForce GT 520 in your guy's eyes, thats the best card installed by stock in the s5xt.

Thanks for the help on a very confusing subject for me!

By the way good guess on the cpu! Its actually the i5-2300 from w7 control panel information.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:04:54 PM

Depending on the game or program the 6670 will be anywhere from 3x to 5x faster.

In 3d mark 11 the 520 gets a score of 800 while the 6670 gets 2200

In crysis 2 on medium the gt520 can push 6 frames per second while the 6670 can push 25.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 1:51:03 PM

Alright, sounds like a plan. Be VERY careful, as it really would suck to lose anything if the PSU does blow.

Also, I don't think the FSP PSU I suggested will work. Unless you mod the case, that is. Seems about twice as tall as the stock HP ones.
m
l
February 3, 2012 4:56:55 AM

I got the Saphire LP 6670 and a 350W power supply, installed them, but now amd catalyst center wont install.

Is there anything I post here to help you guys help me?

I've tried:
uninstalling driver then swept computer with Drive sweeper then reinstalling
different sources for install files
cleaning registry of all mentions to ati technologies

Please help and let me know if there is any more information I can give
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 11:48:11 AM

download the driver from the amd site. The drivers on the CDs are normally old and sometimes the vendore tries to personalize them leading to issues.
m
l
February 3, 2012 3:47:33 PM

I've actually already tried that. Exact same issues.
m
l
!