Canon SD400 vs SD500 - more scene modes?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 10, 2005 2:58:02 PM

Looking for an ultra portable camera. However I am an amateur and not
too familiar with manual settings, so multiple scene modes appeal to me.
The SD500 is bigger and more expensive, but offers 4 additional scenes.
Living in Michigan, these extra 4 - beach, snow, foliage, fireworks
seem useful to me.

My question is this: Does anyone know if I can, or what manual settings
to use to replicate these scene modes if I bought the Canon SD400?
(Since it is my understanding that scene modes are just pre-programmed
manual settings?) I really don't need the extra MP, cost, or size of the
SD500. Thanks.

-c
June 10, 2005 5:25:51 PM

casey j cress wrote:
> My question is this: Does anyone know if I can, or what manual settings
> to use to replicate these scene modes if I bought the Canon SD400?

It's hard to tell because Canon's manual does not explain specifically
what each mode does. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Canon's scene
modes. I tried them out with my SD200, but in the end, I just use the
manual mode.

For an amateur, you can pretty much do most of the manual compensation
you need with the exposure compensation setting and forcing flash
on/off. I don't think it's worth spending an extra $100+ and having a
bigger camera just for the extra 4 scene modes.
!