Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Skype Crash

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
January 12, 2012 11:09:52 PM

Been having issues installing skype on my new computer. I would install it and the second I input my login information the computer freezes. I left it alone for about half an hour and nothing happens. I've tried reinstalling, garage skype beta 5, running as administrator and setting compatibility mode to Win 7. No help from the skype support forums and would really appreciate some input.

More about : skype crash

a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2012 11:17:30 PM

Hi :) 

If its a BETA version of Skype, you just found out as we all know that beta versions are extremely buggy...go back to a standard version after uninstalling the beta...

All the best Brett :) 
January 12, 2012 11:21:24 PM

You may try digging around after an un-install and deleting any remaining skype folders, specifically any located in the appdata folder... those seem to become corrupt often, and will crash running versions of skype, so i suppose they could ruin the installation process too.
Related resources
January 12, 2012 11:39:23 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

If its a BETA version of Skype, you just found out as we all know that beta versions are extremely buggy...go back to a standard version after uninstalling the beta...

All the best Brett :) 


The reason I TRIED the beta is because the regular skype wont work.

JackMomma said:
You may try digging around after an un-install and deleting any remaining skype folders, specifically any located in the appdata folder... those seem to become corrupt often, and will crash running versions of skype, so i suppose they could ruin the installation process too.


Will try that now. Will let you know how it goes.
January 12, 2012 11:49:35 PM

No luck deleting the files from appdata+installing. I also cleared out the temp folder and booted into safe mode. No luck. Any other suggestions?
January 13, 2012 7:40:13 AM

Chikunnism said:
No luck deleting the files from appdata+installing. I also cleared out the temp folder and booted into safe mode. No luck. Any other suggestions?



Might have to run a registry cleaner also. Some times they store their values there as well and like everyone mentioned before try to locate an older version. I personally use Iobit-uninstaller that I downloaded off Cnet, might wanna try and locate it. Does a great job uninstalling the actual program along with any other file associations--hence registry strings and other hidden associations with particular file you are trying to uninstall.

Cheers good luck!.
January 13, 2012 2:37:41 PM

I already figured out what to do. Turns out it was being caused by debug mode being on. To anyone who has this issue, open up the command prompt and type in the following.

bcdedit -debug off

Reboot the computer and it will work.
January 14, 2012 4:31:03 AM

Good to know on the debug; would of never thought about it. glad you figured it out.
!