Sign in with
Your question

Intel i7 2600k or i7 3770k?

Last response: in CPUs
July 6, 2012 7:43:51 PM

Hey I'm rather new to the forums but have been spectating for awhile, I am building a gaming rig and plan to do moderate overclocking. This is my first gaming rig I've started to build, I needed advice on which one I should get. I don't have all the money in the world or patients to save up for a $369 CPU (3770k) but I'm willing to. I have confirmed either of these will work with my motherboard and I just wanted to know which one I should get. I know with either one I will destroy BF3 but I wanted to see if the 3770k is even worth it. I have my specs down below of the parts that I'm getting.

CPU: Not decided
MTB: Asus Maximus V GENE
RAM: Kingston Hyper X 8gb (Planning to go for 32 gb)
ODD: Lg standard dvd rom
GPU: Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII/2DI/1GD5 nVidia GeForce GTX 560 ti Chipset (830Mhz) 1gb (4000mhz) GDDR5.
HDD: Westerna Digital Caviar Black 1TB
PWRSupply: OCZ ZT-series 750W Fully Modular 80-Plus Bronze Power Supply

Tell me if anything is incompatible or not good, or if i'm missing something.

More about : intel 2600k 3770k

a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 7:50:04 PM

Hi :) 

That graphics card WILL play BF3 but it WONT destroy it lol....

And you forgot an Operating system....

All the best Brett :) 

July 6, 2012 8:09:04 PM

Ahah maybe I shouldn't over exaggerate that :lol:  My OS is Windows 7 Pro 64Bit OEM.

The real question is which CPU is better :D 

Thanks for the reply, MaTRiiX
Related resources
July 6, 2012 8:14:05 PM

Oh also do these CPU's have integrated graphics? I hope not :S
July 6, 2012 8:19:50 PM

Well if your going to be over clocking then go for sandy bride, if your going for stock then go with Ivy, overall a sandy bridge processor will run cooler while the Ivy will run hotter, so if you paired it with a good cooler you can outperform the Ivy.
I would go with a 2600k and a good cooler (Noctua coolers are beast) and when you feel comfortable go for 4.5 or something of that nature.
July 6, 2012 8:32:40 PM

Wow Thanks!!! Also can you answer my integrated graphics question?

I'd also like others opinions to :D 
July 6, 2012 8:35:28 PM

Im-MaTRiiX said:
Hey I'm rather new to the forums but have been spectating for awhile, I am building a gaming rig and plan to do moderate overclocking. This is my first gaming rig I've started to build, I needed advice on which one I should get. I don't have all the money in the world or patients to save up for a $369 CPU (3770k) but I'm willing to. I have confirmed either of these will work with my motherboard and I just wanted to know which one I should get. I know with either one I will destroy BF3 but I wanted to see if the 3770k is even worth it. I have my specs down below of the parts that I'm getting.

CPU: Not decided
MTB: Asus Maximus V GENE
RAM: Kingston Hyper X 8gb (Planning to go for 32 gb)
ODD: Lg standard dvd rom
GPU: Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII/2DI/1GD5 nVidia GeForce GTX 560 ti Chipset (830Mhz) 1gb (4000mhz) GDDR5.
HDD: Westerna Digital Caviar Black 1TB
PWRSupply: OCZ ZT-series 750W Fully Modular 80-Plus Bronze Power Supply

Tell me if anything is incompatible or not good, or if i'm missing something.

I would change the MOBO: the Asrock z77 extreme 4 offers the same functions and more, I have it on my new built in Crossfire X and it runs like a dream (the gene series are over priced). With the money you save you can probably get an SSD combo that comes with a 500GB HDD.
If I were you, I would get:

i7 2600k
noctua nh-d14
Asrock z77 extreme 4 (if you want luxury get an Extreme6)
July 6, 2012 8:38:39 PM

Im-MaTRiiX said:
Wow Thanks!!! Also can you answer my integrated graphics question?

I'd also like others opinions to :D 

I think all processors have integrated graphics, it's not bad having integrated graphics, most mobos have the option to switch between the two, to save electricity (I think).

Sandy: HD 3000
Ivy: HD 4000
July 6, 2012 8:41:18 PM

Lunixed said:
I would change the MOBO: the Asrock z77 extreme 4 offers the same functions and more, I have it on my new built in Crossfire X and it runs like a dream (the gene series are over priced). With the money you save you can probably get an SSD combo that comes with a 500GB HDD.
If I were you, I would get:

i7 2600k
noctua nh-d14
Asrock extreme 4 (if you want luxury get an Extreme6)

It maybe overpriced but will it be better? Or last longer?
Also is Asrock a good comapany?
July 6, 2012 8:42:43 PM

Lunixed said:
I think all processors have integrated graphics, it's not bad having integrated graphics, most mobos have the option to switch between the two, to save electricity (I think).

Sandy: HD 3000
Ivy: HD 4000

So I can just switch between integrated graphics and my GTX 560 Ti?
July 6, 2012 8:45:50 PM

Also to confirm does it for sure have a built in sound card?
July 6, 2012 8:53:26 PM

Im-MaTRiiX said:
It maybe overpriced but will it be better? Or last longer?
Also is Asrock a good comapany?

Well Asus is a quality company but you see the board you pick is Micro ATX, which mean you might have trouble in the future for SLI or Crossfire. You're not getting your bang for the buck. Asrock (the 2011-12) line of motherboards perform equal, Asrock was owned by Asus, they no longer own them, Asrock has gotten a good name for having the same quality and performance that Asus has and offer the same thing Asus offers. Asrock offers bang for the buck and it's a full ATX, of course you should only be looking at there z77 line.
July 6, 2012 8:56:34 PM

Lunixed said:
Well Asus is a quality company but you see the board you pick is Micro ATX, which mean you might have trouble in the future for SLI or Crossfire. You're not getting your bang for the buck. Asrock (the 2011-12) line of motherboards perform equal, Asrock was owned by Asus, they no longer own them, Asrock has gotten a good name for having the same quality and performance that Asus has and offer the same thing Asus offers. Asrock offers bang for the buck and it's a full ATX, of course you should only be looking at there z77 line.

I think i'm going to get the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 the coolers look smexy xP. Also does it have wireless or is it compatible with link a PCI card?
July 6, 2012 8:59:10 PM

Im-MaTRiiX said:
Also to confirm does it for sure have a built in sound card?

Of course it has a sound card (may not be the same as the Asus Gene tho).
July 6, 2012 9:01:02 PM

Lunixed said:
Of course it has a sound card (may not be the same as the Asus Gene tho).

As long as it has one, Im good ;) 
July 6, 2012 9:05:01 PM

Im-MaTRiiX said:
I think i'm going to get the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 the coolers look smexy xP. Also does it have wireless or is it compatible with link a PCI card?

I'm not sure about it having a built in Wifi, but you can plug in a PCI card if wished. I know there expensive Mobos have built in WIFI and BT. The Extreme 6 is sexy and it's TOM HARDWARE APPROVED!! :D 
July 6, 2012 9:08:49 PM

Also it seems like every time i type in AsRock Z77 Extreme6 somewhere Ivybridge shows up are you sure a sandy bridge would work?
July 6, 2012 9:10:15 PM

LOL It's actually funny how it is Tom's Hardware approved, it must be really good ;) .
July 6, 2012 9:12:33 PM

Im-MaTRiiX said:
LOL It's actually funny how it is Tom's Hardware approved, it must be really good ;) .

Yeah, I'm running a i5-2500k with the z77 Extreme4. Same socket just different architecture.
July 6, 2012 9:15:20 PM

Lunixed said:
Yeah, I'm running a i5-2500k with the z77 Extreme4. Same socket just different architecture.

Sounds good, can you give me a average fps for games you have? So I can get an Idea.
July 6, 2012 9:21:22 PM

Im-MaTRiiX said:
Sounds good, can you give me a average fps for games you have? So I can get an Idea.
BF3: 50-70
Warhead: 60

2 6850

Also I'm about to go but if you don't mind me recommending you something, for the case buy the Antec Eleven Hundred, this case is AMAZING!!! Mine is a dream, only con is the faulty fan that came with mine, but they are shipping me a new free one.

I have to go, so good luck.
July 6, 2012 9:49:08 PM

Lunixed said:
BF3: 50-70
Warhead: 60

2 6850

Also I'm about to go but if you don't mind me recommending you something, for the case buy the Antec Eleven Hundred, this case is AMAZING!!! Mine is a dream, only con is the faulty fan that came with mine, but they are shipping me a new free one.

I have to go, so good luck.

Hey man sorry internet went out -_-. I actually bought a case already, Coolermaster HAF X. Thanks for the recommendation!
!