Lunixed

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
ek7c3.jpg

For the most part it stays in mid low 30's (while on the web and other junk) but it will randomly spike to 42 and then go back down, is there something I should be worrying about?
I have an i5 2500k (stock) with a cooler master hyper 212plus.

What temp are you getting? also in a random side note, when running 10 minutes in prime I got of max 56c.

Build:
Antec 1100
Asrick z77 extreme 4

Solution
Oh yeah, 4.0 should be easy. Room temp has a lot to do with it too (I have a relatively cool room temp, even now that it's summer), but 4.0 shouldn't be a problem at all. Usually, a 212+/Evo (in push/pull especially) is good for 4.5 and, in my case, slightly more, if I wanted.
That's perfectly normal. Even browsing the web, it'll spike the usage enough a few times to make the temps jump like that. Nothing at all to be concerned about.

Also, with my 212 Evo in push/pull, I get high 50's and low 60's @ 4.5 with Prime. I'm at 30-32C at idle.

Lunixed

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Yeah, I just wanted some conformation. Since you were the only one who answer you get the "Best answer".

Lunixed

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Really? I was thinking of O.Cing mine to 4.0, I bought an extra 120mm fan (still shipping) for a push pull configuration, do you think with this cooler I should be able to achieve 4.0?

Oh yeah, 4.0 should be easy. Room temp has a lot to do with it too (I have a relatively cool room temp, even now that it's summer), but 4.0 shouldn't be a problem at all. Usually, a 212+/Evo (in push/pull especially) is good for 4.5 and, in my case, slightly more, if I wanted.

Solution

Lunixed

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

If you don't mind me answering you, I would suggest the Noctua NH D14, you can head over to frosty tech and check.

Well, really, in its price range, a 212 Evo is about the best you can do. It's better than many twice its price.

I've always gone with the philosophy that, for air cooling, you either get a 212+/Evo or you get something on the top end, like a Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Spire Thermax Eclipse II, or Cooler Master TPC-812.

Those are all pretty close to each other, actually, but better enough than a 212+/Evo to make them worth their price..

Lunixed

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Random off note here dude, when you OC your i5 did you follow any specific guide? If so, can you please link it?

cReed_eRos

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
yeah! that's what i thought so but i'm NOT OCing my system...just to cool down a bit. from what i read on this forum...212 evo is more of a cooler that works well with OC but not sure if it has the same effect with just normal full load...

I actually couldn't directly follow any guide because my board has a strange "neutered" BIOS that has less OC friendly options than most do, but I just read the OC guides here on Tom's in the Overclocking section to get the general idea.

This one mostly http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide although this one http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274821-29-sandy-bridge-series-overclocking-cores-guide is good too, for Turbo OC'ing (which I don't do).

I do things slightly differently than the guides say to do them though (some because I HAVE to and some by choice).

Lunixed

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Cool beans, friend.
I owe you a internet muffin :D for the help you have provided.

cReed_eRos

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
sir? do you have a link or step by step procedure on how to OC this board? i would probably end up with hyper 212 evo..leaving the side panel open :( because i cannot find that item in our store :cry:

That part I don't know about actually, just don't know much about OC'ing with AMD CPU's and haven't ever done much research on it. There should be plenty of guides out there that give you a general idea though.

If your CPU has an unlocked multiplier, this should be a good one to follow. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274820-29-black-edition-overclock-raising-multiplier-guide