Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Weird CPU TEMPS

Last response: in CPUs
July 6, 2012 8:15:07 PM

For the most part it stays in mid low 30's (while on the web and other junk) but it will randomly spike to 42 and then go back down, is there something I should be worrying about?
I have an i5 2500k (stock) with a cooler master hyper 212plus.

What temp are you getting? also in a random side note, when running 10 minutes in prime I got of max 56c.

Build:
Antec 1100
Asrick z77 extreme 4

More about : weird cpu temps

a c 283 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 8:22:45 PM

That's perfectly normal. Even browsing the web, it'll spike the usage enough a few times to make the temps jump like that. Nothing at all to be concerned about.

Also, with my 212 Evo in push/pull, I get high 50's and low 60's @ 4.5 with Prime. I'm at 30-32C at idle.
m
l
July 6, 2012 8:27:00 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
That's perfectly normal. Even browsing the web, it'll spike the usage enough a few times to make the temps jump like that. Nothing at all to be concerned about.

Also, with my 212 Evo in push/pull, I get high 50's and low 60's @ 4.5 with Prime. I'm at 30-32C at idle.

Yeah, I just wanted some conformation. Since you were the only one who answer you get the "Best answer".
m
l
Related resources
July 6, 2012 8:29:05 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:

Really? I was thinking of O.Cing mine to 4.0, I bought an extra 120mm fan (still shipping) for a push pull configuration, do you think with this cooler I should be able to achieve 4.0?
m
l

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 8:32:08 PM

Oh yeah, 4.0 should be easy. Room temp has a lot to do with it too (I have a relatively cool room temp, even now that it's summer), but 4.0 shouldn't be a problem at all. Usually, a 212+/Evo (in push/pull especially) is good for 4.5 and, in my case, slightly more, if I wanted.
July 6, 2012 8:40:38 PM

Best answer selected by Lunixed.
m
l
July 6, 2012 8:46:40 PM

Hi sir! good day!

aside from the hyper 212 evo, do you have any recommendations as far as CPU cooler is concern? seems like your the best tech to ask here. Thanks!
m
l
July 6, 2012 8:57:16 PM

cReed_eRos said:
Hi sir! good day!

aside from the hyper 212 evo, do you have any recommendations as far as CPU cooler is concern? seems like your the best tech to ask here. Thanks!

If you don't mind me answering you, I would suggest the Noctua NH D14, you can head over to frosty tech and check.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 8:57:41 PM

cReed_eRos said:
Hi sir! good day!

Well, really, in its price range, a 212 Evo is about the best you can do. It's better than many twice its price.

I've always gone with the philosophy that, for air cooling, you either get a 212+/Evo or you get something on the top end, like a Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Spire Thermax Eclipse II, or Cooler Master TPC-812.

Those are all pretty close to each other, actually, but better enough than a 212+/Evo to make them worth their price..
m
l
July 6, 2012 8:59:45 PM

i won't mind at all :D  yeah! that's what i have in mind as well but i'm on a tight budget. is the hyper TX3 evo good for AMD CPUs also?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 9:02:37 PM

cReed_eRos said:
i won't mind at all :D  yeah! that's what i have in mind as well but i'm on a tight budget. is the hyper TX3 evo good for AMD CPUs also?

It's fine, just slightly worse than a 212+/Evo.
m
l
July 6, 2012 9:07:18 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
It's fine, just slightly worse than a 212+/Evo.

Random off note here dude, when you OC your i5 did you follow any specific guide? If so, can you please link it?
m
l
July 6, 2012 9:17:08 PM

yeah! that's what i thought so but i'm NOT OCing my system...just to cool down a bit. from what i read on this forum...212 evo is more of a cooler that works well with OC but not sure if it has the same effect with just normal full load...
m
l
July 6, 2012 9:18:06 PM

is the M5A88V-evo capable of OC?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 9:29:11 PM

Lunixed said:
Random off note here dude, when you OC your i5 did you follow any specific guide? If so, can you please link it?

I actually couldn't directly follow any guide because my board has a strange "neutered" BIOS that has less OC friendly options than most do, but I just read the OC guides here on Tom's in the Overclocking section to get the general idea.

This one mostly http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k... although this one http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274821-29-sandy-bridg... is good too, for Turbo OC'ing (which I don't do).

I do things slightly differently than the guides say to do them though (some because I HAVE to and some by choice).
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 9:30:10 PM

cReed_eRos said:
is the M5A88V-evo capable of OC?

Yep.
m
l
July 6, 2012 9:32:52 PM

great! thanks sir! you've been very active in this forum :D  and for that "salute"...so 212evo is the best choice? problem is i got an HTPC case..any other options?
m
l
July 6, 2012 9:33:30 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I actually couldn't directly follow any guide because my board has a strange "neutered" BIOS that has less OC friendly options than most do, but I just read the OC guides here on Tom's in the Overclocking section to get the general idea.

This one mostly http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k... although this one http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274821-29-sandy-bridg... is good too, for Turbo OC'ing (which I don't do).

I do things slightly differently than the guides say to do them though (some because I HAVE to and some by choice).

Cool beans, friend.
I owe you a internet muffin :D  for the help you have provided.

m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 9:37:44 PM

Lunixed said:
Cool beans, friend.
I owe you a internet muffin :D  for the help you have provided.

You're welcome. :) 
m
l
July 6, 2012 10:10:00 PM

is this better than hyper tx3 evo sir?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 10:35:18 PM

cReed_eRos said:
is this better than hyper tx3 evo sir?

Yep.
m
l
July 6, 2012 10:51:28 PM

sir? do you have a link or step by step procedure on how to OC this board? i would probably end up with hyper 212 evo..leaving the side panel open :(  because i cannot find that item in our store :cry: 
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 11:03:18 PM

cReed_eRos said:
sir? do you have a link or step by step procedure on how to OC this board?

That part I don't know about actually, just don't know much about OC'ing with AMD CPU's and haven't ever done much research on it. There should be plenty of guides out there that give you a general idea though.

If your CPU has an unlocked multiplier, this should be a good one to follow. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274820-29-black-editi...
m
l
July 7, 2012 12:01:33 AM

i believe most of the cpu today do not come UNLOCKED...
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 7, 2012 12:03:14 AM

cReed_eRos said:
i believe most of the cpu today do not come UNLOCKED...

Only if it's a BE (Black Edition) or FX CPU (for AMD), and a K CPU for both AMD AND Intel, actually.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 7, 2012 12:21:24 AM

cReed_eRos said:
regarding the cpu, overclocking it will reduce the lifespan of my cpu right? question sir, have you tried running 212-evo in an UN'OCed system? did it make a difference?

First question, it will a bit, sure, but as long as you don't go overboard with the OC, it'll be fine. Second question, no, I actually haven't ever run the 212 Evo at stock settings. I suppose I should at some point just to have a baseline, but it's so good with my OC, that I KNOW it would be GREAT at stock.
m
l
July 7, 2012 12:34:56 AM

oh i see..thanks sir! you're also using an Asus mobo right? it automatically detected your CPU/NB Voltage? OCing this needs to overvolt as well the voltage detected by mobo? by the OCing a system won't burn my MOBO or melt my CPU?. well, basing it on the reviews online..i saw that this cooler is effective when the system is OCed but very good point of having a baseline...
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 7, 2012 12:53:55 AM

Yeah, I'm using an Asus mobo, but current Intel OC'ing is a lot different than AMD OC'ing. With Intel at the moment, you basically only have to worry about multipliers and voltage (can't really change the BCLK much). It's not that easy with AMD OC's if the multi's are locked. A lot to think about.

But no, like I said above, if you stay sane with the OC, you'll be relatively safe. Of course you can blow the CPU and mobo too, but you have to be REALLY careless to do it.
m
l
July 7, 2012 1:01:47 AM

you're dead right with AMD. i tried checking my multiplier and can't change it. just the FSB and other stuff there in the AI tweaker. i guess, i'll go with the 212 evo if i got a good casing. the 2nd option that you've given me [GeminII S524], UNavailable here :(  all i have in mind right now is the TT Frio which will cost me a lot of penny instead of getting the 212 evo
m
l
July 7, 2012 1:03:06 AM

sorry sir...my english is bad :(  :cry: 
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 7, 2012 1:05:48 AM

cReed_eRos said:
sorry sir...my english is bad :(  :cry: 

It's quite good, actually. :) 
m
l
July 7, 2012 1:20:41 AM

sir? can you give a list of your preferred cpu cooler (1 being the best and LAST being "fair enough for the penny") the reason is, in the event that i'll go to the store to purchase it, i'll have options. thanks!
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 7, 2012 1:27:49 AM

cReed_eRos said:
sir? can you give a list of your preferred cpu cooler (1 being the best and LAST being "fair enough for the penny") the reason is, in the event that i'll go to the store to purchase it, i'll have options. thanks!

Well, I'll be honest here, I'm not REALLY a cooling guru. I know enough, but not enough to make recommendations past what I already have anyway. Anything past what I've already said would just be purely guessing on my part.

The Evo (if you want to deal with it being too large) or the TX3 should do just fine for you though, honestly.
m
l
July 7, 2012 2:15:45 AM

or i have an option to upgrade my casing first then change the stock cooler right? looks like you got a full atx casing. what are you using to have ample space for the components and for vent purposes also? probably i can look for that option first cause honestly, i'm on a dilemma right now between 212-evo (which i would love to have) and tx3-evo which would probably fit my HTPC casing @ a height of 136mm. what's your call since you're the expert :D 
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 7, 2012 2:33:49 AM

Well, a new case would help cooling a lot in general, but I'm not really a case guru either, lol. Bad "expert", I know. :lol: 

I can recommend what I've seen other people use, but I have absolutely no idea how good they actually are.

Here's one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It's plenty wide enough for the 212 Evo. Don't know if you can find it where you live, though.

My own case is some generic full-size thing that I got with a bare-bones kit and I've been using it since 2001, lol. It doesn't even have a manufacturer's name on it, so I have no idea what it is...
m
l
!