Overclocking, is it a risk?

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Looking at a new build, featuring i5 3.4 G ivy bridge.
In an Asus P8Z77-V Pro MB
Seen several companies offer this combination overclocked.
Does overclocking stress the CPU?
Affect longevity?
Affect stability/reliability

I was not after overclocked solution but it may be cheaper.

Overclocking is always a risk especially if you don't pay attention to the heat and voltages.

Yes overclocking streses the CPU it makes it run at a higher frequency than it's suppose to run at. Again if you pay attention to heat and voltages and with good cooling it shouldn't be a problem.

Does it effect longevity it depends. I've seen people overclock their CPU's to high then after a few months they started to have problems. usually though heat or voltages are to high. I've had many CPU's overclocked that lasted along time and became obsolete long before they died out.

Yes stabilty can be a problem. If not done right you can have a BSOD from an overclocking error.

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Stability is what I need so maybe I'll give this option a miss.

The i5 has a turbo mode ... does the Motherboard automtically switch to this when high performance needed ?

Intel Turbo Boost is a technology used by Intel processors that enables the processor to run above its base operating frequency via dynamic control of the CPU's "clock rate". It is activated when the operating system requests the highest performance state of the processor. There is nothing wrong with overclocking as long as you know what you are doing. I would read start reading on ovreclocking.

Hi :)

I own Computer shops in the UK....

I have seen customers come in who tried oveckocking when they didnt know how to do it....

The CPUS and Motherboards lasted MINUTES !!!!

So yes there is ALWAYS a risk...quite a big one...

All the best Brett :)

Yes overclocking is a risk but if done right can give you a performance boost with little risk. I would advise that anyone that is looking to overclock for the first time to make sure they pick on the Intel Performance Tuning Plan to protect themselves from damaging their processor. http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Well, unless you buy a tuning plan like Christian mentioned, keep in mind, you void the warranty of the CPU when you overclock. However, if you overclock conservatively, honestly I'd push it as far as you can go without messing with the voltage (thats conservative) you should be fine.

AS far as that pre-built bundle, the merchant may offer their own warranty outside of what Intel will cover. You see this with factory overclocked video cards from brands like Sapphire, Evga, Zotac, etc. Their OC'd models are pushed beyond the factory settings by Nvidia and AMD, but they warranty the cards as such since they are selling them this way. I can't seem to find any information about it on their website, but if you want to go that route, I would shoot them an email and ask them if they will warranty the overclock.

Hi :)

The honest answer to that question is NO....

All so called "overclocked bundles" vary according to the skills of who did them.... like, maybe the guy who was good was off sick that day....etc etc...

The I5 is a hugely powerful cpu anyway, you really really do not need to overclock them....and they are more releiable if you dont (the same as any cpu)

As an example, all my gaming machines, both here at home and in my office run AMD 6 core 1100T BE`s...(the BE stands for overclockable)

Do I overclock them.... no...

They run 24/7 running SETI ...with no problems at all...

I dont NEED to overclock so i dont....

Those guides are better than nothing but you still need to understand some theory behind them so you dont do something silly...

You REALLY dont want to pay for a new CPU/MOBO again...

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012

Your answer is about where my engineering background had me assuming things were logically
I don't need overclocking ... so I'll see if I can find a MB/CPU/RAM bundle unclocked ....

In fact I'm quite happy to put all the order (complete PC) to one company ... my spec looks like:

MB P8Z77-V Pro
i5 7350k ivy bridge
nvidea GTX560 Ti
Samsung or Vengence 8GB RAM
2 x WD 500GB Caviar Blue
SSD 120G (Corsair or Crucial)
DVD /CDRW Sata
Bluray/DVD CD Sata combo
500w psu
Coolermaster HAF 912 case
Firewire PCI card

Although individual components can be found cheaper, would assume best overall deal will be me putting whole order in one place - will save on postage as well.

Welcome any advice for which companies in UK to look at for this kit

HI :)

Although my company builds machines like that (Custom machines) I make a point of NOT selling here...

My best advice is to take the order to a local Computer shop.... it wont be as cheap as the net, but if anything ever goes wrong, you just take it in to them... and you get better engineering skills and care taken...

PS...think about a 240 ssd...they are getting cheaper now, and a 120 fills up real fast ...lol