Sign in with
Your question

BF3 Build and TV for gaming

Last response: in CPUs
July 6, 2012 9:20:47 PM

I am looking to build a PC to play BF3 and other games that probably won't be as demanding. I am not a hard core gamer as I just don't have the time. I will also use the PC for my novice photo editing and organizing. I have saved up some cash so I can afford to invest in a good rig but I have other things to buy; read on. Here is what I am planning to to.

1. I am considering 2 price points $700-$900 and $1000-$1300. What are your thoughts on ideal builds for each of the price points? What are the biggest benefits of stepping up to the higher price points.

2. I am also planning to buy a 60" TV for the family room. I am planning to connect the PC to the TV to play the games. They run between $1,600-$2,200 for a good 3D model. I need to buy the the TV so I can't simply reallocate all funds to the PC. As such, I have been told that I should get a Panasonic plasma to optimize the experience because of of the higher refresh rate. I have heard that using a TV for gaming is not the best idea, even those with a Game mode. Is this the true?

Thanks in advance for your input on helping me spend my very hard earned budget.

More about : bf3 build gaming

a c 185 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 9:26:33 PM

If you are getting a 60 inch TV, what you will have to do is figure out how far you want to sit away from the TV. TV's are perfectly fine for gaming, I personally use a 30 Inch Vizio.

You want a 240hz tv, preferably, an LED.
m
l
July 6, 2012 9:40:04 PM

Good to hear you have had a good experience with the Vizio. Do you think the higher Hz of a plasma at 600Hz is important?
m
l
Related resources
a c 185 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 9:42:14 PM

Before you choose a specific TV, I would got to a store like Costco where they have all of the TV's next to each other. Then you can compare LCD, LED, and Plasma. Personally I like LED because it isn't as dark as Plasma, plus plasma is a bit old.

I would get at least a 120HZ LED tv.
m
l
July 6, 2012 9:48:49 PM

TVs are not very good for PC gaming if you want to play first person shooters. They tend to have very high response times in terms of input compared to monitors. If you plan on using a controller instead of a mouse/keyboard then this is not as big of an issue.

Since you stated that you are not a hard core gamer this might not be as big of a deal, so go ahead and get the TV. It will excel in all other areas, beside the response time and true refresh rate
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 9:49:20 PM

Hi :) 

I have a Panasonic Plasma ...and DISTANCE you sit from it is important....i sit around 6 feet from mine ...and a 42 was too big....i changed it for a 37"...

For a 60" you are going to have to sit a LONG way away....

Great screens though Panasonic...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
July 6, 2012 9:52:08 PM

petely9 said:
Good to hear you have had a good experience with the Vizio. Do you think the higher Hz of a plasma at 600Hz is important?

Anything above 120 hz is solely a marketing scam. Even 120 hz doesn't make that big of a difference. The only reason they used it in the first place is because blu rays fun at 24fps. Standard refresh rate is 60 and 60 was not divisible by 24, which causes some minor problems (apparently). 120 is divisible by the 24 fps of blu ray which apparently helps fix some problems.
m
l
!