Closed Solved

My First Post...Go Easy on Me

So yeah this is my first post here on Tomshardware...so take it easy on me. I knew enough about pc's to know that this is the best place to dig for answers. So hopefully I won't ruin my good start with stupid questions. :D

So like many threads in this section I'm looking to get some info about video cards. I'm currently riding on a 9600gt low profile i bought for an old Dell. It runs well with the new PC(i5 2500k) Acheive about 60fps in LOL and can run Skyrim well and Need to tone it down a little bit for Empire TW. But for the most part it does the everyday stuff well.(thanks to the rest of the system I'm sure)

My question isn't necassarily about which to get next...I'm torn between GTX 460 and HD 6850. But rather, I have these 2 questions.

1. Anyone know of any newer cards coming out in the $100-$150 range that can compete with the above mentioned cards? Hate to buy something and have a newer card come out that is better for the same price...and could have waited for the price drop on the older cards.

2. Granted basically any card is going to be an upgrade, but is the 9600gt going to give a performance boost in SLI with a GTX 460? I think this idea is the only thing keeping me from going HD6850...well that and no real experience with ATi to feel comfortable to change brands.

Anyway...thanks for your time. I'm off to research this a bit while I await relies.
Thanks
-ejb222

P.S. didn't see my specs in my sig...PC just built in Sept is WIN7x64 - i5 2500k stock, MSI P67A-G45(B3), 2x4gb GSkill Ripsaws X Series DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24.
23 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about post easy
  1. ejb222 said:
    So yeah this is my first post here on Tomshardware...so take it easy on me. I knew enough about pc's to know that this is the best place to dig for answers. So hopefully I won't ruin my good start with stupid questions. :D

    So like many threads in this section I'm looking to get some info about video cards. I'm currently riding on a 9600gt low profile i bought for an old Dell. It runs well with the new PC(i5 2500k) Acheive about 60fps in LOL and can run Skyrim well and Need to tone it down a little bit for Empire TW. But for the most part it does the everyday stuff well.(thanks to the rest of the system I'm sure)

    My question isn't necassarily about which to get next...I'm torn between GTX 460 and HD 6850. But rather, I have these 2 questions.

    1. Anyone know of any newer cards coming out in the $100-$150 range that can compete with the above mentioned cards? Hate to buy something and have a newer card come out that is better for the same price...and could have waited for the price drop on the older cards.

    2. Granted basically any card is going to be an upgrade, but is the 9600gt going to give a performance boost in SLI with a GTX 460? I think this idea is the only thing keeping me from going HD6850...well that and no real experience with ATi to feel comfortable to change brands.

    We're going to jump you, and beat you with a stick :lol:
    Can't SLI those cards
    You left out one of the most important part's of your spec, the power supply.
  2. In the next month or 2 we will see the full line of AMD 7000s. I am sure this will change the field a bit. I would try to wait and see what happens.
  3. In the next two months you will see lower cards, but not in that range. Rather, I would count on the newer Radeon 7xxx series to drive prices down so that you will be able to afford a 6870 or a GTX 560. Of course, prices will only shift significantly when there is a good enough supply of those new cards. On the nVidia side it looks like you will have to wait longer before nVidia has enough of them to launch.
  4. 6870, $150 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521
    What's your PSU? We need the brand and preferably the model too, not just the wattage.
  5. Sorry I forgot the PSU...I know it's Antec in the 600-650 range...But i'm gonna have to get back to you...at work ;)

    But why is a 9600gt not SLI compatible with any other SLI card? You need 2 identical cards to SLI? Guess I missed that. Maybe I could use the 9600gt as a Physx card?...arg more research.
  6. p.s. please dont' jump me unless you bare close resemblance to Anne Hathaway
  7. ejb222 said:
    Sorry I forgot the PSU...I know it's Antec in the 600-650 range...But i'm gonna have to get back to you...at work ;)

    But why is a 9600gt not SLI compatible with any other SLI card? You need 2 identical cards to SLI? Guess I missed that. Maybe I could use the 9600gt as a Physx card?...arg more research.

    Yes but they can be from different manufacturers.
  8. To run SLI both cards need to match. In short SLI has card 1 do one fram and card 2 do the other frame, so they take turns to speed up performance. If the 2 cards are not an exact match (or pretty close) this model simply wont work. You could keep the 9600 around as a physics only card but even that has very little value.
  9. bucknutty said:
    To run SLI both cards need to match. In short SLI has card 1 do one fram and card 2 do the other frame, so they take turns to speed up performance. If the 2 cards are not an exact match (or pretty close) this model simply wont work. You could keep the 9600 around as a physics only card but even that has very little value.

    In AFR yes but in SFR no. :whistle:
  10. bucknutty said:
    To run SLI both cards need to match. In short SLI has card 1 do one fram and card 2 do the other frame, so they take turns to speed up performance. If the 2 cards are not an exact match (or pretty close) this model simply wont work. You could keep the 9600 around as a physics only card but even that has very little value.


    That makes much more sense. thanks. Yeah, I read about using a 9600gt asa physics card with a GTX 460...it was not much gain if any at all...looks like its just a toss up between 6850 and GTX 460(which seems to get more expensive and elusive every day). Cool think is...I think I still use the 9600gt as a physics card with the 6850.
  11. ejb222 said:
    That makes much more sense. thanks. Yeah, I read about using a 9600gt asa physics card with a GTX 460...it was not much gain if any at all...looks like its just a toss up between 6850 and GTX 460(which seems to get more expensive and elusive every day). Cool think is...I think I still use the 9600gt as a physics card with the 6850.

    So long as you are prepared to mess about with hacked drivers, yes.
  12. I was trying to layout the SLI model as simply as possible. Depending on the SLI mode it can get pretty complex, but for arguments sake its safe to say all modes of SLI require the GPUs to match.
  13. As mouse states I tried to mix an ati card with an nvidia card for physics in one of my extra systems. Theres a tool to run and some registry entires to mess with and in the end I got it working but I was getting the windows 7 Generic "display driver stopped responding and has been restarted" so i gave up. If you like a challange though go for it.

    I would sell the 9600 on your favorate auction site or just hold it in resurve. You never know when you might need a good GPU for testing.
  14. bucknutty said:
    I was trying to layout the SLI model as simply as possible. Depending on the SLI mode it can get pretty complex, but for arguments sake its safe to say all modes of SLI require the GPUs to match.


    I know, I just like being pedantic. :ange:
  15. well then thanks for all your help! Looks like I'll wait a couple months and see what happens to the ATI prices...I doubt NVIDIA prices will drop. But who knows.
    I wish I could find a more reliable timeline for this years releases.
  16. I dont know what 9600 you have but you could get something like this for 30 and sli the 9600 it could double your performance, and it is fun to do.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150570
  17. bucknutty said:
    I dont know what 9600 you have but you could get something like this for 30 and sli the 9600 it could double your performance, and it is fun to do.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150570

    The OP has a 9600GT, it won't SLi with a GSO.
  18. Kepler (Nvidia) is supposed to arrive before the end of Q2 this year, and I suppose the 7000 series should continue to trickle in. Remember that you can wait forever on these things; there'll always be a "just around the corner" if you look hard enough for it.
  19. This is the card I currently have...

    http://www.galaxytech.com/__en_gb__/Product75.aspx

    Found a 9600gt in full size on CL for $25...but no reply from the seller :pfff:

    Thanks for all your help everyone...looks like I'm holding out for a bit on a new card and if I can find another $25 9600gt...I'll try to grab it for now.
  20. Best answer
    GT SLI really won't give you much, but $25's peanuts, so go for it.
    You could just get a 6870... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948
  21. 7xxx cards are less than a month away. Personally, I'm waiting to grab a 7750 instead of the 6770 I had planned on.
  22. Best answer selected by ejb222.
  23. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product