Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bad cpu?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 6, 2012 11:24:58 PM

hello,
I just got back my new motherboard from an rma and they say that it all works and that booted windows on it. (dont know if thier statement is trustworthy...)
I know that my cpu worked at one point before becuase I installed windows. then my computer fell about 1.5 feet as I was tipping it back up. It bent motherboard pins but again, got it replaced for free. (thx amex purchase protection). so now my system is still not working, I know its my motherboard or cpu becuase I get the same error code even if everything is out except cpu. the error code on my debug screen is 00 which means "not used". I know my psu is mot a problem becuase my cpu gets hot quickly (thus meaning enough power is runing through it.

any ideas b4 i send in my cpu? Im just hopeing I dont have another bad mobo becuase then I wont have my computer for another 4 weeks :( 

specs you may want to know
cpu: 3930k
mobo: ASRock x79 extreme6
psu: kingwin 850w

More about : bad cpu

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2012 4:21:11 AM

do you have a conventional hardrive? that may have been damaged especially if it was running

did you have any cards (graphics, sound, ect) that we're connected

have you tested the rails on your PSU (do it if you can, they can still supply power if broken)

do you have another system you can test your components on?
m
0
l
a c 132 à CPUs
a c 81 V Motherboard
July 7, 2012 4:48:35 AM

nna2 said:
do you have a conventional hardrive? that may have been damaged especially if it was running

Even if you smashed the HDD with a sledge, the PC should still POST as long as there is no short. Simply tipping the PC should not damage the HDD in a way that would prevent POST.

If OP had a tower-type HSF mounted when the PC tipped, this might have warped the board enough to break some traces, solder joints or via plating.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2012 4:50:05 AM

InvalidError said:
Even if you smashed the HDD with a sledge, the PC should still POST as long as there is no short. Simply tipping the PC should not damage the HDD in a way that would prevent POST.

If OP had a tower-type HSF mounted when the PC tipped, this might have warped the board enough to break some traces, solder joints or via plating.


it may become an issue though, that's why i posted that
m
0
l
a c 193 à CPUs
a c 471 V Motherboard
July 7, 2012 6:45:03 AM

it could be stuck in reset mode. you could have the reset cables or the led cables on the wrong pins and the mb stuck in reset or the reset button stuck in. take all the cables off the mb header other then the power button one. also take out all the ram but one stick. if you had bent mb pins did you check to see if the cpu was damaged?? also have you tried bread boarding the mb outside the case to make sure your not shorting it out???
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 8:23:30 AM

I had this type of problem before, now you said that your sure its not the cpu or mobo, and the possible chance that theres a cpu failure (especially intel) or mobo failure cant be that high since there tested, 1st try and make sure the atx power connecter is on connected properly with all 24 pins, then make sure that your 8 pin cpu power connecter is connected, sometimes theres a fail safe if you forget to connect your heat sink fan, so make sure thats connected, if still no boot or post, then replace your ram sticks and make sure there compaitible with mobo, if all else fails check power supply or replaced by this time it should be up and kicking if not then your CPU is at fault!!!!!

Hope this helps!!!!
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 8:28:33 AM

smorizio said:
it could be stuck in reset mode. you could have the reset cables or the led cables on the wrong pins and the mb stuck in reset or the reset button stuck in. take all the cables off the mb header other then the power button one. also take out all the ram but one stick. if you had bent mb pins did you check to see if the cpu was damaged?? also have you tried bread boarding the mb outside the case to make sure your not shorting it out???




If those pins are not setup right like reversed, like the power header pins then the chances the mobo will be fried is pretty high, you always need to follow manufactures manual to set those up right, unless you love to burn them out, then by all means burn it out!!!! :lol: 
m
0
l
July 13, 2012 7:29:42 PM

I RMAd my cpu, I will get my new one monday. I am a first time builder and although I didnt see any physical damage, I believe I did damage my cpu becuase I may have not installed the heat sink corectly. but to reply to some of your therioes, All the power connectors were in right, (double checked this) I reset, clrd cmos, and Again, I know it was either the cpu or mobo. the only problem is that intel dosent actually test thier rmas, so I dont actually know if my old one is bad :/ 
m
0
l
July 13, 2012 8:31:28 PM

nitroexplosion said:
If those pins are not setup right like reversed, like the power header pins then the chances the mobo will be fried is pretty high, you always need to follow manufactures manual to set those up right, unless you love to burn them out, then by all means burn it out!!!! :lol: 


I set those up right, but its pretty hard to mess up, even then messing it up or reversing them should not mess it up
m
0
l
a c 132 à CPUs
a c 81 V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 10:19:44 PM

nitroexplosion said:
If those pins are not setup right like reversed, like the power header pins then the chances the mobo will be fried is pretty high

Since ATX, ATX12V and PCIe connectors have most power pins on the opposite side from ground pins, somehow managing to plug them in backwards would short most power rails to ground which should trip the PSU's over-current protections before anything bad happens... unless the motherboard's power/ground planes are too light to handle the short-circuit current and burn out.

So the chances of killing something this way might not actually be as high as they may seem at first.
m
0
l
July 15, 2012 8:25:32 PM

I meant the main power pins header on the Motherboard, like the plug could go in both ways make sure its matching up like the manual says, P+ on P+ cause if P+ goes to P- or R+ goes to R- then you can have a big problem when connecting the PSU and turning on the pc for the 1st time, MB would be fried even tho the PSU has overvolt protection or SCP,OVP,UVP,OPP it wont matter your board will get fried, unlees you get lucky the first time!!!!
m
0
l
!