Sign in with
Your question

Advice on ivy bridge,cheap socket 1155 cpus and water cooling...

Last response: in Systems
March 23, 2012 9:12:50 AM

hi fellows,

I am building a new rig, something like that:

Motherboard:ASUS P8Z68-V PRO / GEN3
CPU:2500k/3570k+cheap CPU until ivy-bridge release date
Ram: 8gb of ddr 3 1600 MHz
Hard Drive: don't know yet...
GPU: GTX 680
Case: don't know, maybe NZXT phantom

I need advice on:
1.What is the cheapest 1155 CPU that won't make my life a nightmare of bottlenecks? or maybe just go with 2500k?
2.Is z77 worth the wait over z68 + gen3?
3.Any ideas for budget water cooling for gpu+cpu?

Thank you, this is a great forum!

p.s I'll probably buy most of the parts here http://www.excaliberpc.com because they ship to my country...
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2012 9:29:35 AM

welcome :hello: 
first thing,ivy isn't a big boost over 1155.2500k is your best bet.go with it.and second,P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 is a great mobo.nzxt phantom is a great case too.will fit most of the high end setups.
your answers-
1-as i said 2500k>all(for gaming)because of it's great price/performance ratio.
2-no IMO,Z68 has more than enough features you need.the one you selected is a great mobo.stick with it.
3-watercooling is not cheap :( 
but no worries,modern chips run pretty cool.any good aircooler is enough.watercooling is for braggin rights.hyper 212 EVO for cpu and MSi twinfrozer cards are my favorites!
March 23, 2012 9:55:35 AM

hellfire24 said:
welcome :hello: 
first thing,ivy isn't a big boost over 1155.2500k is your best bet.go with it.and second,P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 is a great mobo.nzxt phantom is a great case too.will fit most of the high end setups.
your answers-
1-as i said 2500k>all(for gaming)because of it's great price/performance ratio.
2-no IMO,Z68 has more than enough features you need.the one you selected is a great mobo.stick with it.
3-watercooling is not cheap :( 
but no worries,modern chips run pretty cool.any good aircooler is enough.watercooling is for braggin rights.hyper 212 EVO for cpu and MSi twinfrozer cards are my favorites!

Thanks for the welcome and quick replay,
1.ivy will unlock pci-e 3 won't it?
3.water cooling is cool! and I have built many systems over the years and never did water cooling; I want to give it a shot..
Related resources
March 23, 2012 11:01:15 AM

do you think going with something like G630 cpu will be crazy?
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2012 3:07:19 PM

pci-e 3 isn't going to show any big boost :( 
http://www.overclock.net/t/1188376/hardwarecanucks-hd-7...
waterooling is there's no doubt but it needs a lot of time skills too.i am saying that you don't do it,better idea is to grab cheap air cooling setup for now and do some research.when you think you are ready,post a thread in watercooling section and i am sure you will get great help and step to step guides.
a c 265 à CPUs
March 23, 2012 4:16:49 PM

If your timeframe is now, buy the 2500K. It will run any game out there well. If you have a 2500K, you will have no incentive to change to a 3570K.
If your timeframe is the end of april, then ivy bridge will get you about 10% better price performance.

Read this article on what you might expect with a cheap interim cpu. Unless you have another use for the cheap cpu, I would bypass that option.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Current top end graphics cards do not now push the limits of pcie 2.0, let alone 3.0. The impact on FPS is in the 1-2fps range.

Water cooling is fussy, noisy, and expensive.
With any sane overclock, a $30 cooler like the cm hyper212 will do just as well.
In a decently cooled case, a top end air cooler, like the Noctua NH-D14 will cool just as well as any of the all in one liquid coolers, and be quieter to boot.
!