Font for photo captions?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 10, 2005 8:24:59 PM

Can anyone point me to a download source for a Windows font which I
can use for slide show captions please? Ideally I want two fonts:
white with a black border, and black with a white border - the sort of
thing you see on film subtitles. Mostly I can manage with a familiar
'solid' font like Arial, Times or Verdana, in white or black. But a
font with a contrasting 'border' would be more satisfactory.

Presumably I'm looking for a .TTF file, which I just place in the
Windows\Font folder - with the other 484 entries I see there already!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

More about : font photo captions

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 4:49:06 AM

That is called a Style & you can do it with any font in Adobe Photoshop. You
use Stroke and put a line around the font... any color.

Craig Flory
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 3:40:02 AM

In article <7rbja1l28qvfnk914ie5m424kqbvume44i@4ax.com>,
Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

> Can anyone point me to a download source for a Windows font which I
> can use for slide show captions please? Ideally I want two fonts:
> white with a black border, and black with a white border - the sort of
> thing you see on film subtitles. Mostly I can manage with a familiar
> 'solid' font like Arial, Times or Verdana, in white or black. But a
> font with a contrasting 'border' would be more satisfactory.
>
> Presumably I'm looking for a .TTF file, which I just place in the
> Windows\Font folder - with the other 484 entries I see there already!

I'm assuming by slideshow you mean something like Powerpoint?

'Hollow' fonts tend to have a transparent 'inside' as these are really
vector graphics.

There are two ways to do what you require.

Use the 'cleartype' fonts - Verdana, Trebuchet, Tahoma or Georgia.

Make the caption a colour different to the background - yellow works
well. Vary the colour according to what the main colour of the photo is.

The other way is to use Photoshop. Type and position your caption using
either black or white. Using the Magic Wand click on the type - make
sure to uncheck the contiguous box. Select - Modify - Expand choose the
number of pixels. Rasterize the type, then use the Paint Bucket tool to
fill in this Expanded selection with an opposite colour. You could use
hollow fonts too and use Select Modify - Contract, I guess - I've never
tried this but I assume it would work.
Related resources
June 13, 2005 3:40:03 AM

I usually import the photos into to premade templates in Corel Draw. I agree
that yellow stand out quite well, but it's mainly about contrasting to the
background. I move the text and any template graphics around to suit each
photo them export as a jpg for slideshow.
I use Proshow gold, but the text options for this are very limited, with the
exception of being able to animate captions. I use Corel for most of the
wordy or template stuff, then proshow captions for special attention getting
effects.

Don

"Stewy" <anyone4tennis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

>I'm assuming by slideshow you mean something like Powerpoint?
>
>'Hollow' fonts tend to have a transparent 'inside' as these are really
>vector graphics.
>
>There are two ways to do what you require.
>
>Use the 'cleartype' fonts - Verdana, Trebuchet, Tahoma or Georgia.
>
>Make the caption a colour different to the background - yellow works
>well. Vary the colour according to what the main colour of the photo is.
>
>The other way is to use Photoshop. Type and position your caption using
>either black or white. Using the Magic Wand click on the type - make
>sure to uncheck the contiguous box. Select - Modify - Expand choose the
>number of pixels. Rasterize the type, then use the Paint Bucket tool to
>fill in this Expanded selection with an opposite colour. You could use
>hollow fonts too and use Select Modify - Contract, I guess - I've never

Thanks all.

It looks like my quest for a black & white font is over-ambitious
then! I hadn't realised that the 'open' types were transparent.

I'm not too keen on yellow, or changing colours to suit the
background. Apart from the extra work involved, the loss of
consistency could spoil an otherwise professional looking movie. I
suppose about 95% of my captions so far have been white, but
occasionally I can't find an area of the image dark enough to allow
that choice, and resort to black.

Similarly, it's a pain to have to make a new JPG with the caption
specially designed in the way you describe (in PaintShop Pro in my
case), and I then lose the flexibility of moving the caption around
and/or splitting it into 2 or 3 lines within MoT itself. The 'safe TV
image area' adds a complication to this, and positioning the text in
advance in PaintShop Pro would be tricky.

BTW, the program is MemoriesOnTV, using JPG photos with MP3.
soundtrack.)

It's a pity MoT doesn't allow captions to be inside a rectangle (as
you can do in say IrfanView), as that would also solve the problem. I
think that's the way most film subtitles are handled?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
!