Sign in with
Your question

How do I migrate Dell XPS Hard Drive with Win-7 To New Dell Workstatio

Last response: in Systems
March 23, 2012 11:33:02 AM

Hi,

I just bought a brand new Dell workstation T-7500 without any Pre Installed Winows but only DOS installed.

I have a Dell XPS System with a Hard Drive that has Win-7 installed in its own partition with data in other 4 partitions.

I want to use that hard drive in new workstation.

I tried using it as it is with no luck.

It did something called initializing & some other MPT ROM etc which I know nothing about & then crashed.

I also put in Win 7 DVD to repair windows, but that didn’t help either.

Do I need to format OS Partition & fresh install Windows -7 ?

OR does this new PC needs some kind of initialization OR other stuff ?

I have no knowledge of DOS Commands.

Thanks
March 23, 2012 12:04:52 PM

You can try to simply move the HD from the XPS to the T-7500 as its boot drive (BIOS config). It should see Win7 and boot to it... drivers will be an issue and you may get some errors for devices not starting.

Not sure what you are trying to do in DOS and I certainly didn't know a dual core Xeon workstation can be obtained with DOS as its only OS. Is this rig new?
m
l
March 23, 2012 12:27:12 PM

sadams04 said:
You can try to simply move the HD from the XPS to the T-7500 as its boot drive (BIOS config). It should see Win7 and boot to it... drivers will be an issue and you may get some errors for devices not starting.

Not sure what you are trying to do in DOS and I certainly didn't know a dual core Xeon workstation can be obtained with DOS as its only OS. Is this rig new?

This is brand new rig.

I wanted to save some money so they took off the cost of Windows & gave me the HDD with DOS.

I know nothing about BIOS settings or any DOS Commands etc.

I did try to boot from old HDD & it says something about initializing & starting windows but then crashes.

I can Fresh install windows, I have done it many times but that requires half day's work with all the apps.
m
l
Related resources
!