Gaming pc on a buget

_mikke_

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Well i haven't build recently but i'm planning to do it on a budget. I've selected the components that best fit my needs and here they are :
-Video board( for gaming ) ) : Asus nVidia GeForce GT440 :sol:
-high speed kingstong ssd : Flash SSD 60GB SSDNow V+200 SATA 3
-8 gigs of kingston ram: Kingston 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9
-Amd Cpu: AMD Athlon II X3 460, 3400MHz
-motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-D3 AM3+ socket
-psu :Inter-Tech Energon 550W

My questions are:
Will the Psu be enough for this build ? ( i don't plan on overclocking soon, maybe just a little)
Will this build be fast enough for games like metro 2033, crysis 2, nfs the run ?
Is the ssd going to make a big difference over a standard hard disk ?

Since i don't wann buy a new case( limited budget) i want to use the old one.

And one last question, can a DVI D cable be used to connect a dvi D monitor to this DVI I video board ? If so is the quality better then the standard VGA ?

I posted this on the new build section yesterday, nobody replyed. :ange:

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
What is your budget exactly? What kind of case is it you are reusing?

-PSU is enough for that build.

-The SSD will not affect game performance. Its used as a boot disk for windows so the computer will startup within 10 seconds. but the game will be on your regular hard disk. (most likely).

_mikke_

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Budget is around 750$ :wahoo:
I won't buy another hard drive for stuff, i keep my photos,movies and music on dvds so 60 gigs will be enough for what i'll be using it ( 1-2 games at a time,few movies, windows and some programming software)
The case is some very old metall standard ATX tower but it will be do the job. :p

_mikke_

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I had some problems with standard harddrives in the past and I wanna try my luck with an SSD. I won't be playing 7 days a week, only from time to time and I think that the videoboard i choose will be more then enough.

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I have three Seagates (as i build a new comp, i take the HD from the old one and put it in; on my third) in 8 years not one failure. plus if you put all your eggs in one basket and you have a failure, what then?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
The only other thing I see, I like Gigabyte don't get me wrong. But the 970 is a mid-low high end board. Considering you are cutting cost on everything else, I would almost consider a little more reasonable board.

The 970 from Gigabyte, cheapest I see on Newegg is 90.

What about this board?

760g chipset, but you are only talking 60 bucks, it's micro, but will do 8 gb of ram, and still allow you to put your video card in. You save 30 bucks there, throw out the SSD imo, and get yourself a 500 gb hard drive.

Maybe one of these with a 3 year warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148539

Even if it costs more than the SSD, you are still talking 3 year warranty and much more space, plus you can always pick up the SSD later for a boot drive.

I would also recommend a better video card. At least the GTS 450, but the GTX 460 is also much faster for not a lot more.

The last couple of things, I have never heard of Inter tech. So I think I'd go with a different brand if it were me. When power supplies fail, they can fry your motherboard or other components, I had one once upon a time, back in the day, I was using my pc, went to start up one day, no boot. Turned out the board was not recognizing any IDE devices, and I was using a low quality power supply. Got a new board and new power supply, things worked much better.

_mikke_

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Ahh well i don't care much about motherboards as long as it's running. Well i had seen some pretty shittyer mobos then that Gigabyte and they worked decently. As far as i saw in the reviews it's ok.

I don't need a 500 GB hard ! I don't have a lot of things. When i do make some photos i put them on dvds, when i got some music i put them on dvds. I dont even listen to music from my hard drive to lately.
I had a WD caviar blue 250gigs and it fucked up after only 5 months of normal use. No repeated formats, no power shortages. Had some problems with a Samsung hard drive some years ago. In my opinion SSD drives are the future. :ange:

I know that if the psu is weak it can fry your motherboard, it almost happend to me once. I can't afford a better psu and that one will be enough from the reviews I read.

I'm gonna see about a GT440 videboard, but i don't think that it will do a big difference since i don't play a lot. Maybe 7-10 hours a week.
Thanx for all the opinions guys !

_mikke_

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

That would be nice but I don't have money for 4 god damn hard drives. I'm a f*cking poor jobless student with some poor ass family.
But everybody has to start from something :sarcastic:.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
It was only a suggestion, there is not an excuse for your childish language. Anyway, if you look, many times you may even find a refurbished hard drive that's like a 250 or 320 gb for cheap, and add an extended warranty cheaply. I go to place out here called Microcenter, if you've got one nearby they are great. For example, you can usually buy an amd chip and get 40 bucks off the motherboard. So potentially you could get an fx4100 and the board above for 120 bucks or so, and I've heard that the fx4100 overclocks to 4.5 or 4.6 ghz. They aren't a high end chip, but I imagine would be faster than the athlon for possibly less money with the board I showed you. As for the hard drive again, sometimes they will have refurb 250 gb drives or 320 for 50 to 60, which may seem like a lot, but if you do the 2 year return warranty for I think it's like 5 bucks, then they are a good value. Newegg might have a similar deal, but I would even recommend that vs the ssd. If you go with only the 60 gb ssd, by the time you install the OS and a few apps, you would be nearly out of room. Also, check with your school's IT dept. you might be able to get a student discount on Windows 7.

_mikke_

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Sorry for my language I'm very tired and when I'm tired I speak inappropriate things. I don't have a Micrcenter around me but I'm gonna try and search and see what i can find. Is the Fx4100 gonna make a big difference to the Athlon X3 ?
Windows 7 + the the applications I use will take up MAX 30 Gigs.that leaves 15 gigs for 1 or 2 games, and around 15 for music and movies. I ussualy delete then after i watch and listen to music online. I say it will be sufficient. If i somehow ran out of memory i'll buy a drive later, f. the moment it's ok.
Yea we have like here all sorts of free and almost free type of windows and microsoft licenses, but i don't care about that :kaola: , i use pirated stuff :sol: .

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Windows with system updates and what not will use some space, its up to you, but you add a couple games and you might be almost out. As far as piracy, we don't condone piracy at all on the forums. For one thing you are stealing when you pirate, number 2, piracy is stupidity, especially when you can get it almost free. I'm a network admin by trade, and for people to poke in and see what is going on in your system is very easy. I actually know of apps that I can load that you will never see installed in start menu or add/remove programs, and can log into a web site from any pc, see exactly what the user has been doing, what apps they've got installed, what percentage of their time they spend and whether those apps are productive, as well as see screenshots of what they've been doing. Not that we use those apps on a regular basis, but great if you need to keep an eye on someone. My point is that stuff is out there, and if your regular guys in corporate environments have those things, imagine what might be coded into Microsoft's operating systems. Don't even play with those things man, sooner or later you can get burned. As for the fx4100, I cant say exactly on the performance, but I'm personally using an athlon 2 quad, and it looks like there is at least a small performance increase from that. Plus the fx4100 has an unlocked multiplier for overclocking. Some guys are supposedly getting over 4 ghz out of these chips. I'm not an Intel guy, but even Intel's i3 chips are supposed to be even better than a lot of amd chips for games. Personally I've just used amd for years and I guess when you get used to something, you stick to what you know.

bpear96

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB $42
MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6870 $180 $20 reb $10 giftcard
Phenom II x4 975 - $150 - $10 GIFTCARD
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel case $50 $10 rebate
Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W $48
1tb WD drive $110
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 motherboard $90

I didnt subtract rebates or giftcards from prices. Adds up to $670 should be decent pc, and what im upgrading to :D. Throw in some fans, and heatsink especially if your gonna OC.

rbsoft

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I created budget gaming rig for my cousin.

Here are the specs.

Motherboard - ASUS P8H61-M PLUS V2
CPU - Intel i5 2320 3.00 GHz
Ram - Transend 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz
GPU - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6770 1GB DDR5
PSU - 450 watt

Gaming performance is more than expected. I tried following
games (All running on high settings and resolution of 1600 x 900)
with decent Average FPS of 55 or above.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty Black Ops
Just Cause 2
Saint Row The Third
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Burnout Paradise
Alan Wake
Dead Space 2
Portal 2
BulletStorm
Homefront
Lara Croft and Guardian of Light
Counter Strike Source
The Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Company of Heroes Tales of Velor
FIFA11
FIFA12

you can down your cost by getting i3-2120 with same hardware. You should get same gaming performance with i3. I have i3-2100 and no game can use it 100% on my test with 25 games like Crysis 2, Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands and others. It GPU that matters you can get higher GPU like 6790 or 6850. It will give you additional 10 to 20 fps boost in all games.

System cost around 800$
:sol:

You see this benchmarks for processor at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-2120+%40+3.30GHz
and for gpu http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu
and for game requirements see this http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/game_requirements_check

He already said he gets Windows for free. You could get an awesome Intel/Radeon system for 750 dollars that would obliterate waht you had planned. Check the above build but downgrade to an i3 and upgrade to a 6790 and you're set for a couple of years.