Gfx artifacts troubleshooting

fairtrade

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I built a new desktop about two months ago and I'm running into some graphical artifacts. I was hoping to get some help troubleshooting. As is common with artifacts, I'm only experiencing them in graphically intense games/benchmarks.

Specs:
PSU: OCZ 550w Fatal1ty Series
MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128483 (figure link is more useful with the name of the board being long and complicated
Ram: PNY Optima 2x4gb
Gfx: MSI GTX560Ti Hawk

So, like I said, I'm getting artifacts. At this point, I'm thinking the cause is either the motherboard or power supply. The motherboard being a possibility simply because I went a little cheap on it and I could imagine it having defects/problems. A lot of the signs point to the power supply, but i don't know if it really adds up. 550 W should be enough for my setup (as far as I know). I was having similar artifacts when I first setup my computer. I noticed that if I unplugged the dvd drive, the artifacts would go away. Suggesting that there was simply a little too much strain on the PSU. Since then I just left the drive unplugged (who uses dvd-drives anymore?). Now the artifacts are back. I suspected that the PSU was the problem again, so to test this, I unplugged the case fans and viola! the artifacts went away. Certainly this suggests that PSU is too blame, but shouldn't 550W be enough for my setup? Additional info power info: I have two harddrives and the the antec 620 water cooler for the cpu. I don't know how much power this cooler draws but maybe its enough to push it over the edge.

Naturally the other possibility is simply that there is something defective with the gfx card.

All in all i'm leaning towards the PSU being the problem but I wanted some second opinions.

Thanks

fairtrade

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
highest of seen on temps in 79c. Its a little higher than average for my card but certainly acceptable. I don't think temps are the issue, especially since these artifacts will show up immediately when playing a powerful game, so the temps are still low.

fairtrade

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I'm not sure what you mean by "swapped" I'm using it as the cooler on my cpu if that's what you mean. I don't have anything OC'd, in fact, I'm considering undervolting the CPU.

fairtrade

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Like I said, the symptoms suggest its a PSU problem, but its seems to me that 550w should be enough, and its also odd that it has gotten worse sense I first got the computer.

fairtrade

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

Not really. The power supply is well with in warranty, so I might just go ahead and return it.