k-

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
100% P180

ive never even heard of Ultra Aluminous Case being one the of the 'good' cases.

It gets dusty as hell.

:p

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
They shouldnt be nearly in the same price range.
The p180 is the better case in every respect.

It's like comparing a cadillac to a chevrolet.
Or an Acura to a Kia.

cptblackeye

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Can't speak for the Antec but I do have the Ultra Aluminus that came bundled with the X2 550 watt psu for $119 after MIR. I have 2 120mm fans and a 80mm on the side air duct and my max cpu temp has been 51C under heavy load while rendering video. My rig stays pretty quiet with this setup. I would buy the Ultra combo again.

lotussama

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Good to see someone else liking the Aluminus. I got in on that same combo deal. Not really sold on the power supply yet, as I haven't really tested it out. I sure do like that case, it's a joy to work in, apart from the flimsy plastic door. (Didn't take me long to take that off).

I can't figure out why no company can design a case or mobo that is EXACTLY what I want. :)

cptblackeye

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Didn't take me long either to take off the plastic door. Other than the door, everything else seems pretty solid. I love the space inside the case for tinkering.

cliffro69

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Antec for sure

Maybe i got a bum case, but i had major concerns with the Aluminus i received. I also purchased the Combo only mine was 99.95.

My case arrived and i discovered the mobo standoff holes were stripped all but 2 anyway. The whole case was flimsy within tolerance but still flimsy. the hard drive bays felt very cheaply made, and the motherboard tray was even more cheaply made.

I ended up RMA'ing the Case and exchanged it for an AeroCool Areoengine II
i only had to pay the difference of $10. now i have minor gripes with the "Areoengine II" but nothing like the Aluminus. I wish the 4 x 120mm(1 in PSU) and 1 x 140mm fans were a bit quieter, as it sounds/looks like a jet engine.

edit: it was 129 not 99

DeAtHrApToR

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I personally think the Aluminus is a very good looking case. The side mounting hard drive bays are the main plus for me. It is one of the few cases I've seen that will actually accept the size of the 8800GTX due to the side mounted hard drives. It may seem flimsy, but that is because it is made of a very light aluminum. The entire front of the case is on hinges, making optical drives easy to install. It's a good case overall, you just have to be careful with it.

cliffro69

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I personally think the Aluminus is a very good looking case. The side mounting hard drive bays are the main plus for me. It is one of the few cases I've seen that will actually accept the size of the 8800GTX due to the side mounted hard drives. It may seem flimsy, but that is because it is made of a very light aluminum. The entire front of the case is on hinges, making optical drives easy to install. It's a good case overall, you just have to be careful with it.

The case as a whole was ok, my main concern was the tray.
I've bought disposable aluminum pans for baking/cooking turkeys that felt sturdier(slight exaggeration.)

The slightest pressure on the tray made it flex way more than i was comfortable with attaching my components to.

all that said it looked good and the ideas for the design were good too...just needs thicker aluminum for the internals

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
I've never had the P180 or used so I can't speak for that.

But I love my Aluminus... for my first build, I found it to be really easy to work with. I love the 'slide in' design for all my devices in the 5.25" and 3.25" bays. The window is great because it's so big and the case looks great. It's really easy to hide wires and stuff too.

The only bad thing is the front is made from plastic... but it doesn't really bother me anymore.

cliffro69

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
how many of you got your Aluminus from TigerDirect?
i never knew how quick they are with getting orders out....newegg and ZZF are slow in comparison. i got my case/psu like a day or 2 before anything else showed up..all ordered within minutes of each other

grant_77

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I have a P180 and the build quality is impressive. I switched from a sonata when i upgraded and because of the btx design the temperature of my overclocked cpu went down 8 Celcius.

The case is extremely quiet and I would encourage you to buy an extra Antec 3 speed fan for the front of the case.

One thing to remember though is that because it is a BTX case the power cables go through the bottom. This means that you need a power supply with long enough wires. Most higher end ones do have long cords. My Thermaltake 680w purepower has plenty of extra cable but I've heard some $30 power supplies can get really tight so keep that in mind.

Other than that I would not hesitate to buy another one.

DeAtHrApToR

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
i never knew how quick they are with getting orders out....newegg and ZZF are slow in comparison. i got my case/psu like a day or 2 before anything else showed up..all ordered within minutes of each other

I got mine on Microcenter's site because there was a 40 dollar MIR.

cliffro69

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
yeah mine had one as well, $30 for the case but since i returned the case i didnt get it.......

:idea: thats why i was thinking 99.95 because of the rebate. silly me

HA_ZEE

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I just bought the Aluminus before Christmas for $39.95 USD after MIR with no power supply (Micro Center). Going to use my own power supply with the build (heard mixed reviews on the X connect power supplies). The case is extremely light (aluminum construction) and a little flimsy but looks very nice with excellent airflow. I would but this again as I had no problems with it and the price was unbeatable.

cliffro69

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
i've had no problems with my X-Connect yet, and if i do i registered it so it has a lifetime warranty. and the company's HQ is in my state for once so the shipping times will be like next day.

playboyman007

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
i believe he's referring to the seller on amazon's marketplace below. that price does not count the $73.20 shipping. cancel this order immediately and order from newegg to get that $25 mail in rebate for total price of $104.:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000FFOZR4/ref=dp_olp_2/103-4780716-7438205

Your wrong I didnt buy it from amazon.

It came with free shipping and no rebate required!!! Just tax...comes out to $86.XX !!! Great deal....its gonna arrive in 4 days....cant wait.

cptblackeye

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Got mine from TigerDirect. Don't remember the shipping time because I got it before Core 2's came out and it was for my Conroe build. I was just ordering each item as they went on sale. Saved a few dollars that way. I order from both TigerDirect and Newegg and have had to RMA items I did not need to both of them with no problems at all. I shop for the best price from these 2 companies.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004

You got it quickly because they're located fairly close to you (they're in Chicago). I usually get my stuff from them next day since I live two hours away from Chicago.:)

The only reason Newegg takes forever is because their main warehouse is located in Cali and their other one is a bit close in New Jersey. I'm not sure about ZZF... they might just be slow.

I actually ordered mine from ZZF because they gave me free shipping and a $30 rebate on it. I took 4 days total after the actual order date but I didn't really mind.