Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A better CPU for architectural renderings

Last response: in CPUs
July 7, 2012 2:45:37 AM

Hello guys, currently I'm trying to build a computer for school. With my budget limitation, I can afford an entry level i7 core, like Core i7 2600k and Core i7 3770k. I'm kinda a noob on CPUs. Therefore I'm here looking for some help.

I'm an architecture student. Required heavy 3D modeling work and renderings, using Rhino for 3D and VRay for rendering. If you guys have any suggestions for me on the CPU choices, I'd be very happy to listen.

Also, for my graphic cards, I have narrowed down my choices to GTX 570 and HD 7850. The two cards are similar, but 7850 have 2GB vram vs. 570 only has 1.2 GB. Therefore, my question is the extra 0.8 GB will help me a lot on the 3D modeling process and rendering time?

Thank you!
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2012 3:04:59 AM

those are the top end i7s... not entry level.

Best solution

July 7, 2012 3:05:03 AM

The 7850 is a little better way to go since theyre a little cheaper but you can overclock them pretty easy and theyll perform very well. More of a toss up really between the two as theyre both excellent and perform almost the same. Id say get the one you can get the best deal on.

As for processor, if you cant afford the i7, how about the i5? The i5-3570K is $230 at Newegg which is $100 cheaper than its big brother. If you can swing that, that would definitely be a great way to go as its a beast of a processor.

If you do not want or intend to do any overclocking, you can move down to the non-K series procs which will be even cheaper.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2012 3:24:19 AM

Go with the i7 2600 non k, a Z68 chipset motherboard and the AMD 7850 GPU. Your needs also requires at least 8GB of ram or more.
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2012 3:46:06 AM

Hi :) 

You realise that some top end cad programs need pro level graphics cards to run ??

And I dont mean those gaming cards you mentioned...

All the best Brett :) 
July 7, 2012 3:52:49 AM

Thank you guys for replying.
Why not going for the "K" if overclock is available. Mobo I'm going for asus sabertooth z77. Therefore I think I can afford a little extra money for a little better products out there.
July 7, 2012 3:58:07 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

You realise that some top end cad programs need pro level graphics cards to run ??

And I dont mean those gaming cards you mentioned...

All the best Brett :) 

Actually I never found any hart time while doing CAD, even using CAD 2012 with school computers. What requires a better computer is when I'm doing Rhino and rendering. Those work will eat me alive if the computer is too crappy.

If you have better suggestions on the set up, I will be very happy to take them as consideration.

Thanks!
a c 101 à CPUs
July 7, 2012 4:05:18 AM

Brett928S2 said:

Most will run on any card that supports OpenGL. High-end CAD suites recommend "pro graphics" mainly because mainstream graphics often cut corners in places that cause graphical glitches that may cause lines to not quite be drawn the way they are modeled within the CAD's coordinate system, which can get confusing/frustrating if you are attempting to extend/align with a line but end up hitting something else because rendered output does not exactly match the CAD model.

Rhino3D requires OpenGL with no further specifics, 3DSMax requires either DX10 or OpenGL with no particular recommendation beyond 512MB GPU RAM, VRay has no specific GPU requirements. So none of the OP's listed software requires "pro" graphics.
July 9, 2012 5:12:48 AM

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. Will go with 7850 since it has more potential to be overclocked than 570 :) 
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2012 5:21:08 AM

If you can afford an I7 I would go for the I7 with the 7850 or an Nvidia 600 series.
July 9, 2012 5:45:25 AM

Anonymous_26 said:
If you can afford an I7 I would go for the I7 with the 7850 or an Nvidia 600 series.

Yes, I am ordering a 7850. Was thinking about gtx 570, but 7850 has more potential when overclocked.
July 14, 2012 11:39:04 PM

Best answer selected by LS86.
July 27, 2012 12:48:36 PM

axe1592 said:
The 7850 is a little better way to go since theyre a little cheaper but you can overclock them pretty easy and theyll perform very well. More of a toss up really between the two as theyre both excellent and perform almost the same. Id say get the one you can get the best deal on.

As for processor, if you cant afford the i7, how about the i5? The i5-3570K is $230 at Newegg which is $100 cheaper than its big brother. If you can swing that, that would definitely be a great way to go as its a beast of a processor.

If you do not want or intend to do any overclocking, you can move down to the non-K series procs which will be even cheaper.

I realize the question is already solved but it's not a gaming build the i5 is not going to perform as well as the i7 with its hyper threading etc. and as far as gpu goes i actually made a similar build for 3d rendering and a bit of gaming with an i7 3820 and a msi 570 tfII (cost $250) the gpu isn't actually that important for rendering its more about the ram and cpu. the 2gb of vram wont really help him unless hes gaming and over 1080p. If he really wanted to make this a dedicated rendering build he would actually want to get a workstation card (not very good for gaming)
July 29, 2012 7:11:38 PM

Yeah the i7 will perform a little better with its Hyperthreading but not $100 better. The i5 will still rip thru any workload OP throws at it as will the 7850.
July 30, 2012 12:49:46 AM

axe1592 said:
Yeah the i7 will perform a little better with its Hyperthreading but not $100 better. The i5 will still rip thru any workload OP throws at it as will the 7850.

But the 3820 also supports quad channel memory and most of the boards have 8 ram slots. Also the 3820 shares the same socket as the xeon so if he really wanted to dedicate it as a workstation he could switch to the xeon aswell. Just my take on it but the i7 seems to make more sense
July 30, 2012 12:59:43 AM

axe1592 said:

and as far as far as the graphics card is concerned I would still say to sick with nvidia as you get things like cuda and overall better driver support. Not to say ati is bad I just think as far as a computer for rendering and a bit of gaming nvidia seems like the option
!