Built a new computer, having problems

crcmmj

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
So my friend built me a new computer recently, but I seem to be having some problems, which really aggravates me since I spent all my money that I have been saving for this thing for about a year. Anyway I was just playing World of warcraft about a minute ago, and all of a sudden my computer crashed. Keep in mind this was about a week or two ago that is was built, and it has been running smoothly up until today. Also when I booted it back up, the screen that says "Your computer shut down wrong" or whatever, I hit start normally and it froze for about 1-2 minutes and then proceeded to boot up. I have no idea why it froze on that screen and that has literally never happened to me before. I did have a slight overclock on my card but was managing the temps in EVGA precision and they never went above 70 and the MB's used didn't surpass like 600. If you need to know my specs I'd be happy to share them although I don't know if they matter. Also I was playing wow on a gtx 570 SC to 850mhz. I'm really clueless to why it crashed and froze on the bootup screen. Could this be a problem because I have no idea why it just randomly crashed...

Thanks in advance. I also

COLGeek

Cybernaut
So the only overclocking is on your CPU and the factory OC on the GPU. No memory OCing?

What application are you using to monitor your temperatures (idle and loaded or min/max)? Also, are you using the stock heatsink that came with the CPU? If so, you should back off the OC until you get an aftermarket HSF. I recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or 212 EVO.

crcmmj

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

I have my GPU Overclocked, my cpu is at stock speeds. I use EVGA precision to monitor gpu temps and Speedfan for the rest. And I have a cooler master hyper 212 evo but I have yet to have time to install it.