Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Win7 ssd raid

Last response: in Windows 7
January 13, 2010 4:06:46 PM

WEI is at 5.9 when i put win7 on my WD 320gig...7.2 for proc (q6600 oc at 2.68), 7.2 for ram (6 gig of ocz gold ddr2), graph at 7.3 (bfg 280gtx) and gaming graph also st 7.3 ....
When i did a fresh install of Win7 on my new SSD (patriot torqX 64gig) i got 7.1 for HD in WEI...i got all suprised also by the start up time being so quick and all...so i bought a 2nd SSD (same patriot torqx) then did a fresh install in RAID 0 with the 2 SSD...seems even faster over all application but...WEI dropped to 5.9 !!!! (in the hard drive) Windows 7 doesn't seem to see that the raid is SSD or something (like it would let me defrag and stuff witch it wouldn't let me do in single SSD).
So would anyone know how to bring the score up in WEI with raid SSD and making sure win7 knows that they are SSD so it wouldn't let me do like a defrag or something bad to it... TY !!!

Beauchee

More about : win7 ssd raid

January 13, 2010 5:06:27 PM

The raid device itself reports as a harddrive. It *emulates* a harddrive by doing it's own striping .

Windows doesn't see two SSDs, it sees a raid device that reports as a normal harddrive.

Also, your score may have gone down because your raid device may not be able to keep up with your SSDs. SSDs are VERY fast and have low access times compared to a mechanical HD. RAID devices do have to typically use a custom CPU of its own to figure out the striping. This CPU may be getting pegged trying to keep up.

m
l
January 13, 2010 5:17:29 PM

Then how to i make windows undertand that it ain't a normal harddrive raid but a ssd raid ??
m
l
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
January 13, 2010 5:34:43 PM

AFAIK you're out of luck - that's the way WEI is wired. You should also know that by using your SSDs in a RAID array you've eliminated the benefit of Win7's TRIM support.

Personally, I'd be a lot more worried about the lack of TRIM than by an artificially low WEI score.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2010 5:54:50 PM

When you installed the single SSD, using AHCI, you got windows-7 drivers. That would have let windows pass on trim commands, assuming your SSD supported them.

If you used IDE compatibility or raid-o , then you got the intel chipset drivers which do not currently pass trim commands to the SSD.

Windows-7 uses the device performance to tell if the device is a SSD. I think it uses random access times. It can not depend on hardware or drivers from a variety of sources to consistently be correct.

Raid-0 will help with performance on large sequential files. It may hurt on small random files where two i/o operations may be needed to satisfy a single request. That is why you will get better performance out of a single larger ssd device than from two smaller ones in raid-0. I had two intel X25-m 80gb gen 1 drives in raid-0. I did that mostly to get a larger OS drive, not for performance. I feel, after upgrading , that I get better performance out of a single gen2 160gb drive. Synthetic benchmarks show raid-0 to be good, but I think actual performance is better with a single large drive that has trim support.

Still, don't worry much about the WEI index. There seem to be a lot of flakey things about it. Rerunning it may change your results with the same hardware.
January 13, 2010 6:04:40 PM

Thanks for the quick replies...i'll keep looking i guess. If anyone has raid SSd's and knows how to make windows sees that please let me know.
m
l
January 13, 2010 7:46:20 PM

I would recommend using software RAID through windows if your version lets you. This should allow windows to recognize them as SSDs, use TRIM and still get decent performance. The problem is you can't use software raid on a boot drive, it's one of those paradoxal/catch-22/chicken+egg problem.

You'll need a separate boot drive or partition.
m
l
January 14, 2010 5:59:21 PM

In resume for those reading this that have the same issue...you are better off booting off ONE SSD then making your main used folder a link to your 2d SSD (for ex. Games) so both your SSD will be seen correctly and will be able to use the trim fonction and you will still get good performance over all. Enjoy !

PS : i bought one ocz ssd, 2 patriot ssd and one intel x25m ssd...in single hd mode the x25m was the best one over all.
m
l
January 21, 2010 11:30:42 AM

Best answer selected by beauchee.
m
l
!