July 7, 2012 4:12:54 AM

i7-860
Gigabyte P55-UD3P motherboard
Asus 670 DirectCU
Old PSU: some bizzare Scythe brand psu. 600w
new PSU: Coolermaster silent pro m2 1000w
Coolermaster 212 heatsink
Corsair Vengence 16GB

Left computer in sleep mode when I left for school.
Came back home, computer was off, refuses to boot. PSU's fan would start then stop every second.
Thought that the psu finally gave out, first, I took it apart and put it back together to rule out possibility of loose power connectors etc, it actually started for a while, about a minute. I tried again, fails to boot, PSU's fan starting stopping repeatedly.
Purchased the CM psu.
Came home installed it, same thing happens, the computer starts for about 2 minutes this time, then turns off like the power was shut down. It then refuses to boot/post, and the new PSU's fan also starts and stops about once a second.

I tried the paperclip method for jumpstarting the PSU, it works. Don't have anything to measure the voltages with, though.

I'd come to the conclusion that my motherboard is the guilty party in question, would that be right?
Posting here asking for advice because I'm broke, and don't want to make a mistake replacing anything. (don't regret replacing my old PSU though, that PoS didn't look reliable anyway.)

More about : gais halp

a b à CPUs
July 7, 2012 11:54:29 AM

If your motherboard is still under warranty, it'll only cost shipping to send it in for a replacement.

However, I do believe that your MB has gone bad.
m
l
July 7, 2012 12:56:15 PM

I guess that old psu may have forced power causing some capacitor to leak. If this is so, your motherboard is history. Hope you figure it out, good luck.
m
l
!