Confusing PC problem

Hello guys, yesterday I played Napoleon: Total War almost 5 hours straight in my PC. It was awesome! Later, my mother suddenly noticed the smell of something like a burnt fuse or capacitor. Then, I went to check my pc and when I touched the case, I felt a strong electric shock while it was still turned on. I ran into panic and I turned it off by pressing the power button, and I unplugged it from the outlet. I am not sure what is the component that caused the burnt smell and the electric shock. I am currently using it till now but no electric shocks anymore and no burning smell. I even played Crysis 2 today. What could possibly the problem in my PC?

My Specs:
Athlon II X2 250
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
Orion 600w PSU
M4N68T-M LE V2 Motherboard
5 answers Last reply
More about confusing problem
  1. Electric shock? Burnt smell? Sounds like the PSU to me. How old is the PSU? What is the model number of it?
  2. JayrollLim said:
    Hello guys, yesterday I played Napoleon: Total War almost 5 hours straight in my PC. It was awesome! Later, my mother suddenly noticed the smell of something like a burnt fuse or capacitor. Then, I went to check my pc and when I touched the case, I felt a strong electric shock while it was still turned on. I ran into panic and I turned it off by pressing the power button, and I unplugged it from the outlet. I am not sure what is the component that caused the burnt smell and the electric shock. I am currently using it till now but no electric shocks anymore and no burning smell. I even played Crysis 2 today. What could possibly the problem in my PC?

    My Specs:
    Athlon II X2 250
    Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
    GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
    Orion 600w PSU
    M4N68T-M LE V2 Motherboard

    There's your problem.
  3. I see, will this PSU last for at least for another month before I buy a branded psu?
  4. http://i.imgur.com/yaYZU.gif

    Use it at your own risk. Personally, I would avoid running it until a new PSU is available.
  5. check the 24 and 4/8 pin atx cables there the ones that will show any damage if the ps was the issue.(look for discolored pins or melting). if you have a good led flashlight look inside the ps and see if you see any of the caps (leaked or bulging). also look at any chip on a heat sink inside the ps..see if you can see any burn marks.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components