Sign in with
Your question

Confusing PC problem

Last response: in Components
July 7, 2012 4:38:41 AM

Hello guys, yesterday I played Napoleon: Total War almost 5 hours straight in my PC. It was awesome! Later, my mother suddenly noticed the smell of something like a burnt fuse or capacitor. Then, I went to check my pc and when I touched the case, I felt a strong electric shock while it was still turned on. I ran into panic and I turned it off by pressing the power button, and I unplugged it from the outlet. I am not sure what is the component that caused the burnt smell and the electric shock. I am currently using it till now but no electric shocks anymore and no burning smell. I even played Crysis 2 today. What could possibly the problem in my PC?

My Specs:
Athlon II X2 250
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
Orion 600w PSU
M4N68T-M LE V2 Motherboard

More about : confusing problem

a b ) Power supply
July 7, 2012 5:03:36 AM

Electric shock? Burnt smell? Sounds like the PSU to me. How old is the PSU? What is the model number of it?
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
July 7, 2012 5:12:19 AM

JayrollLim said:
Hello guys, yesterday I played Napoleon: Total War almost 5 hours straight in my PC. It was awesome! Later, my mother suddenly noticed the smell of something like a burnt fuse or capacitor. Then, I went to check my pc and when I touched the case, I felt a strong electric shock while it was still turned on. I ran into panic and I turned it off by pressing the power button, and I unplugged it from the outlet. I am not sure what is the component that caused the burnt smell and the electric shock. I am currently using it till now but no electric shocks anymore and no burning smell. I even played Crysis 2 today. What could possibly the problem in my PC?

My Specs:
Athlon II X2 250
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
Orion 600w PSU
M4N68T-M LE V2 Motherboard

There's your problem.
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2012 5:34:01 AM

I see, will this PSU last for at least for another month before I buy a branded psu?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 7, 2012 6:06:43 AM

check the 24 and 4/8 pin atx cables there the ones that will show any damage if the ps was the issue.(look for discolored pins or melting). if you have a good led flashlight look inside the ps and see if you see any of the caps (leaked or bulging). also look at any chip on a heat sink inside the ps..see if you can see any burn marks.
m
l
!