Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading a 4 year old PC over the next year

Last response: in Systems
March 23, 2012 4:52:48 PM

Over the next year I want to upgrade the pieces of my computer. Obviously with the release of the 600 nvidia series and the soon to be released Ivy Bridge processor prices are going to change. Currently I am using:

i7 920 overclocked to 3.1ghz
msi x58 platinum motherboard
6gb ddr3 pc3 PC1333 ram(3x2gb, yes it's tri-channel and yes that's how my mobo is meant to be)
2x80gb sataII 7200rpm drives in raid 0
500gb data drive
EVGA gtx 260
Vista Home Premium x64
Xion 800Watt Supernova power supply

Here is my planned upgrade process.

1. gtx 560ti 448bit most likely MSI or EVGA(leaning towards EVGA at the moment) and will likely get this part in the next month (approx. $200)

2. Muskin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240gb SataIII MLC SSD. Will probably get this by May or June. (approx. $275)

3. Along with #2 I'll be getting Windows 7 Home Premium x64. I'm unsure whether or not to get OEM or retail though because I plan to upgrade the motherboard later this year as well. This would be a problem if I get OEM since it ties to the motherboard. (approx. $90 OEM or $180 retail)

4. Ivy Bridge processor/new motherboard to match it. Most likely around Thanksgiving sales. (expecting around $500 mid range processor and $200-250 motherboard)

5. Along with #4 I'll be getting new ram to go with the new motherboard. Most likely around 16gigs(ram is so cheap anyways).

My question is are these all smart choices for the quality/money. I don't really want to spend much more than those expected prices. Of course cheaper is always better, but not at the expense of futureproofing.

I use 2 monitors. 1 is 22inch and always at 1680x1050. The other is 19inch and is always at 1024x768. My primary gaming choices are diablo 3, guild wars 2, TERA, Dota 2, Battlefield 3, Hon, LoL, and usually whatever other game my friends get me into.

I'm figuring that this new system when finished being built will be able to last me for another 3-4 years before another upgrade will be needed (most likely the gpu to something in the 700 or 800 series around that point or the 8000/9000 series).

Any advice is more than welcome. Thank you.

More about : upgrading year year

a b B Homebuilt system
March 23, 2012 5:13:20 PM

You could possibly contact Microsoft and tell them that your motherboard failed and you had to replace it, they may just give you a new serial number without much of an issue.
m
l
!