Sign in with
Your question

AGP or PCI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2012 11:04:05 PM

Okay, odd situation, but heres what i got, There is an old server computer in my art teacher's classroom, the school's IT guys from what she says just kinda dropped it off in her room to use as a regular computer, she hates the thing and said if i could get the tech guys to let me buy it off them i could have it as long as i gave her someting for a usable replacement, that part is easy enough. The problem is i havent asked them if i could buy it yet and they might say no but i figure i shoudl plan for what ill to do they say yes. It is a server, i know it isnt for gaming, but it should be better than my laptops pentium p6100 and intel HD graphics. It doesnt have a good (or maybe any) video card, but it probably has a good amount of RAM and i know xeons are good under pressure, like possibly modern games at medium settings on a small monitor.

IF i do end up getting it, the first think ill do with it is upgrade the GPU. I havent had the chance to open it up, but it most likely has either an agp or pci-e slot of some kind. it will obviously have some pci slots, for network cards and things if that sort, its an old Dell. If it doesnt have a pci-e, which is understandable since it is a server and not a regular desktop, video cards arent high priority, but if it has pci and vga, what type should i use for a video card? My options are a PCI zotac nvidia GT430, PCI zotac nvidia gt 520, and maybe if i want to spend money on a nicer PCI card. For AGP, reviews werent nice on most of the cards, there was one HIS radeon 4670 i think, which reviews said could play most anything right now on some sort of setting, but i havent looked at 70$+ PCI cards, which type shoudl i look for? PCI or AGP?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: not entirely sure, i might not even get the thing.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, everything else.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Not sure, its originally a server so probably a fairly high wattage.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: intel Xeon CPU, windows xp, atm im not sure whether it is XP server or XP pro.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: dont really care all that much, no offbrand, supercheap crap mostly.

OVERCLOCKING: / No / SLI OR CROSSFIRE: / No /

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Low at first, i have a 17" 3:4 720p monitor

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: just looking for whether PCI or AGP has better performance, or at least, if say, the better card is for the lesser slot type, would it in turn be better? or woyld the slot type bottleneck it?

More about : agp pci

January 17, 2012 11:18:35 PM

Uh good luck but yeah AGP
m
l
January 17, 2012 11:25:04 PM

AGP? how much of a performance increase over PCI, if i got a more exencive card that fits PCI, since the 430 was half the price of the 4670, would it have better performance? AGP cards are over priced now because they are in much shorter supply, so im not sure how much better of a card i can get fro the same amount of money, would that be a possibility or would PCI just bottleneck it too much?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 11:25:32 PM

sounds like you are building a disappointment box. If you want to game, you should get a cheapo setup with a PCIe 16x slot.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:25:36 AM

Don't go for it.

Anything less than an Intel core-based CPU (C2D and above or its AMD equivalent) with PCIe on the mobo is not worth for gaming.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:38:29 AM

Its a server or a workstation? If its a server, esp an older server, then it likely only has pci slots since they dont have a need for GPU's. I would pass if your plans are gaming.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 1:07:43 AM

Yea if your trying to make a Gaming rig cheap, your best bet would either be to go to the store and buy one of the small tower rigs and throw in a low end card and new psu and be done, or.....you could just be a rig.
Yea build a rig.... Its fun, Its cool, its affordable
Its.....Build A Rig!!
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:37:37 AM

if its a computer with an AGP slot the best game i think you could play with that thing would be half life 2 or something older than that
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:44:21 AM

Agreed. That is not a gaming machine. Neither AGP or PCI is any good for gaming these days. Your money would be better spent elsewhere. You'll likely regret the purchase unless you plan on giving your grandma an old system for her birthday.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 2:29:41 AM

mildgamer001 said:

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: just looking for whether PCI or AGP has better performance, or at least, if say, the better card is for the lesser slot type, would it in turn be better? or would the slot type bottleneck it?

I'll be straight up with you, DO NOT under any circumstance buy a PCI graphics card. They are EXTREMELY bandwith limited and are of absolutely no 3D gaming use. Those are made almost exclusively for desktop GUI only use (hardware troubleshooting and a couple years ago; extreme low end computers).

If it doesn't have PCI-e it's 50/50 that it'll have AGP. If it does, you're in luck. As long as the CPU is dual core getting the Radeon HD 4670 is perfect to use. I personally have that card in my other computer and it can play modern games at lowered graphical settings just fine (usually) up to 1920x1200 depending on how you set up the graphics engine.

If worst comes to worst; the computer isn't dual core or doesn't have AGP I wouldn't bother wasting the money on it.

Also, if you know the model and type of the processor you should be able to tell easily if it'll be AGP or PCI-e. Intel processors are tied to their Intel chipset counterparts. Meaning, find the processor info and you'll find the possible chipset(s) that will have been used.
m
l
January 18, 2012 4:53:55 PM

just because the the CPU or chipset supports AGP does not mean 100% it will have an AGP slot. especially since this is a server we are talking about here
m
l
!