Sign in with
Your question

Replacement for 2 9800gtx in SLi

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2012 11:24:41 PM

Hi all. Looking to replace my 9800gtx's. They have been giving me probs lately, mainly the bottom of the screen goes twitchy sometimes in fullscreen mode, especially running eq2(a little in bf3 campaign mode). It only happens in SLi and only in fullscreen. While the performance is still good with just one card, it's better with SLI enabled. So I would like to get away from the SLI and go with one card that will give the same performance or better. I have 200-300CDN to spend and was looking at the 560 Ti. I like the fact it consumes less power and generates less heat. If the 560 Ti is a good replacement, which manufacturer? I would like to stick with nvidia but am open to suggestions. I also do not overclock anything. Not because I can't read instructions but just cause I don't. *shrug* If it's OC'd from manufacturer, no biggie. TIA

Asus p6t deluxe
i7-920
6gb pc 1600 ram
900w PSU
win 7 64 ultimate
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 11:33:11 PM

What the heck are you doing with a 900W PSU?

An MSI Twin Frozr Ti would do well.
Related resources
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 3:29:28 AM

I would get the msi 560ti hawk over the twinfrozr ii, its quieter and runs cooler. Also performs just like a gtx 570.
January 18, 2012 6:06:30 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone, and the links DM186. I like quieter and cooler so I think I will go with the hawk. It just squeezes into my budget at the top end but silence is golden. I've never owned an MSI anything before but they seem very popular. As for the 900w PSU, I am not sure, I think at one time I was entertaining the thought of SLi-3 or Quad Xfire or something like that. It's been a while since I built this or any rig, way outta the loop now. Thanks again though, happy gaming.
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 10:18:49 AM

Edit your fan profile with care. EVGA Precision (or Afterburner) will let you set up a stepped program for different temperatures. I've done my so that at around the highest load temps my 460 hits (59), the fan's just quiet enough that it doesn't stand out from the CPU and case fans. That happens to be 57% for me, but you should experiment.
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 10:32:44 AM

Which your PSU anyway?
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 11:25:21 PM

kajabla said:
Edit your fan profile with care. EVGA Precision (or Afterburner) will let you set up a stepped program for different temperatures. I've done my so that at around the highest load temps my 460 hits (59), the fan's just quiet enough that it doesn't stand out from the CPU and case fans. That happens to be 57% for me, but you should experiment.

^+1
!